User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Momentum 21G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 21G

Hey y'all, really interested in a 21G. I have a 2013 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 5.0L V8 with a short bed (5.5'). I'm currently away for work so I can't just go look at my truck. From my research, max towable is 9300lbs. I am having trouble figuring out payload as the spec sheet that I found only had 1450lb for the max slide in camper weight. I imagine that number is not the max payload weight. But 1450 seems low?

From looking on here it seems these trailers are coming heavier than the numbers on the website. Advertised is 6370 UVW, 920 hitch weight. From looking around on the forum, with a generator the hitch weight is even more. We are a family of 4, so I'm estimating 600lb of people.

All that being said, can I safely pull a 21G? And if I can safely do it, will it be a miserable experience leaving me pining for 3/4 ton TV. Thanks for any help and already helping me with such a great forum

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by connnorhea View Post
    Hey y'all, really interested in a 21G. I have a 2013 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 5.0L V8 with a short bed (5.5'). I'm currently away for work so I can't just go look at my truck. From my research, max towable is 9300lbs. I am having trouble figuring out payload as the spec sheet that I found only had 1450lb for the max slide in camper weight. I imagine that number is not the max payload weight. But 1450 seems low?

From looking on here it seems these trailers are coming heavier than the numbers on the website. Advertised is 6370 UVW, 920 hitch weight. From looking around on the forum, with a generator the hitch weight is even more. We are a family of 4, so I'm estimating 600lb of people.

All that being said, can I safely pull a 21G? And if I can safely do it, will it be a miserable experience leaving me pining for 3/4 ton TV. Thanks for any help and already helping me with such a great forum

I'm by no means an expert. I've just been researching for a long time (probably too long). It's really dependent on your specific vehicle and its' configuration. You really need to know what your max payload actually is before anyone can answer this correctly IMO. Also, based on what I've seen, it's much safer to always use the GVWR number as the dry weight can be misleading.

GVWR for that trailer (21G) is 9495 and, as you said, the advertised hitch weight is 920. Like I said, I'm not an expert, but that's too much for a half ton in my opinion. It'd be too much for my 2019 Silverado 1500, which is GVWR 7100, GCWR 15000, max payload 1764 and max tongue weight 960.
    2019 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L
    2017 Polaris RZR 1000XP
    Next - Momentum? ????

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a 21G. The Vehicle Weight Information Sheet for my trailer says it weighed 7002 pounds and the hitch weight was 1152 pounds when it left the factory. The weight sheet also shows that the left (street) side weighs 646 pounds more than the right (curb) side due to the kitchen, slide and generator all on the left side.
    Just my opinion, but the 21G is too heavy for most half ton pickups.

Larry
    Larry & Paula
    2019 Momentum 21G
    Equalizer 1400 / 14000
    2012 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I'm by no means an expert. I've just been researching for a long time (probably too long). It's really dependent on your specific vehicle and its' configuration. You really need to know what your max payload actually is before anyone can answer this correctly IMO. Also, based on what I've seen, it's much safer to always use the GVWR number as the dry weight can be misleading.

GVWR for that trailer (21G) is 9495 and, as you said, the advertised hitch weight is 920. Like I said, I'm not an expert, but that's too much for a half ton in my opinion. It'd be too much for my 2019 Silverado 1500, which is GVWR 7100, GCWR 15000, max payload 1764 and max tongue weight 960.
    I'm not an expert either, but your math has me somewhat puzzled.
    GVWR is 9495.
    2020 Ford F150 with 3.5L EcoBoost® twin-turbo V6, at 375 horsepower and top-rated* 470 lb.-ft. of torque, has a conventional tow rating of 13,200 lbs.
    2020 Dodge Ram with 5.7L HEMI V8 engine with eTorque Hybrid Technology has a conventional tow rating of 12,750 pounds
    2020 Chevrolet Silverado with 6.2L V8 has a conventional tow rating of 13,400

It appears to me that all of these half-ton pickups are easily capable of towing a 21G. If you see a problem here PLEASE explain to me. I'm about to pull the trigger on both the 21G and a Ford F150. You could save me a lot of money if you see a mistake now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    21G? Too much weight for a 1/2 ton.

Payload and towing rating are completely different.

Most half ton payloads are only 1500lbs. Read the yellow sticker in the door jam of your truck to see it’s payload. Larry says it’s 1152 dry and empty. Load it up and that’s like 1300-1400lbs or more.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    opsmdev please check the payload on the door sticker before buying that truck as Flip says. The F150 with 3.5L can have a payload as low as 1430lbs. and passenger vehicle tires (P-rated) if bought off the lot. You can special order an F150 w/ 3.5L with over 2400 lbs. payload but they are not normally found on the new truck lots.
    Larry & Paula
    2019 Momentum 21G
    Equalizer 1400 / 14000
    2012 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good info. posted above.....as stated, it depends on your particular truck. As Larry points out, the same truck, same year can have a payload difference of 970 lbs. The tow capacity will reflect a similar difference in capacity. Also know that generally speaking, the payload and towing capacities have increased with the later model trucks. Besides the engine, the rear end and 2 wheel drive vs 4 wheel drive in the same truck can also make a difference in it's payload and/or tow capacity.

Note that the dry weight of the 21G is just that.....no batteries, no water in the holding tank, no gas or oil in the generator/gas tank, etc. etc. You add gas, oil, batteries, water, etc. and the weight goes up very fast. Also, at the Grand Design rallies from time to time you may have the opportunity to get the individual wheels weighed and often it's the first time they have weighed their vehicle or trailer. Nearly everybody that I've talked to when the weighing is being done is surprised at how much they have added. It all adds up much faster than we realize.

Having said all of that, the 21G is a very nice small toyhauler.....certainly the nicest "small" toyhauler that I've seen having been to the Tampa RV Show and the Pamona RV show (both very large rv shows). I was looking hard at it. I have a 2016 F-150, FX-4, 3.5L Ecoboost, crewcab, 6.5' bed with Ford Max Tow Pkg. Even with a higher rating than the 2013, I was still going to be right at the edge all of the time. I had to pass on it.

I can tell you that if you go to the Momentum G Series travel trailer facebook group that there are those towing with an F-150......just the same as there are those over weight with their 1 ton duallys pulling their triple axle Momentums. My Momentum 376TH was over by 1,025 lbs. I was one of those that was very surprised......I guessed that I'd be under by about 500 lbs. and I thought my estimate was going to be high....

You may have found this page already but if not, once you get the info from your door jamb sticker this will help you figure it all out...... https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...Tgde_Oct19.pdf
    Last edited by JCZhome; 01-16-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by opsmdev View Post
    I'm not an expert either, but your math has me somewhat puzzled.
    GVWR is 9495.
    2020 Ford F150 with 3.5L EcoBoost® twin-turbo V6, at 375 horsepower and top-rated* 470 lb.-ft. of torque, has a conventional tow rating of 13,200 lbs.
    2020 Dodge Ram with 5.7L HEMI V8 engine with eTorque Hybrid Technology has a conventional tow rating of 12,750 pounds
    2020 Chevrolet Silverado with 6.2L V8 has a conventional tow rating of 13,400

It appears to me that all of these half-ton pickups are easily capable of towing a 21G. If you see a problem here PLEASE explain to me. I'm about to pull the trigger on both the 21G and a Ford F150. You could save me a lot of money if you see a mistake now.
    It looks like this has been answered already, but if it still doesn't make sense, I can try to clarify. I now have an F250, but the numbers on that 2019 Silverado 1500 would've put me over the weights.
    2019 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L
    2017 Polaris RZR 1000XP
    Next - Momentum? ????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry, we're talking two different numbers. You're talking "Payload" and I'm talking "towing capacity". I'm not putting the trailer in the the bed. I'm towing it. And yes, I'm well aware that all sorts of option groups are available, but why would I buy an underrated pickup to pull the trailer I'm buying?

https://blog.firestonecompleteautoca...-what-to-know/
    Last edited by opsmdev; 01-16-2020 at 11:18 PM.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by connnorhea View Post

Looking at the chart on page 15 on this link....... https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...Tgde_Oct19.pdf , you don't mention your rear end. But looking at the 2013 F-150, XLT, 4x4, shortbed, 5.0L V8 and assuming it's a "crewcab" (you don't say if it's regular cab, super cab or crewcab) your "trailer towing" max capacity is in the range of 7,700 to 8,000 lb range depending on your rear end. Note, the 3.73 rear end would bump it up to 9,000 lbs. but that rear end is not common......hard to find a truck with that rear end. The 3.73 rear end was usually a custom order truck.....dealerships just didn't order them with that rear end.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast