User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post
    IF you did not apply a primer or sealer to the RV wallcovering, that's EXACTLY what will happen.
    What do you use to prime the wall? Thx.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I installed SmartTiles 5 years ago in the kitchen and bathroom and not one has peeled. The only prep I did was washed the wall with DeNatured Alcohol and let it dry thouugly
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    I did the same as WhittleBurner. Cleaned walls and used Smart Tiles. It’s been over a year and all is well!
    What walls do you have in your campers? Mine is a tan color that almost looks like it is covered in a wallpaper. If you have the same walls then I won't worry about priming the walls because if yours stuck, mine should as well. If I don't prime the walls then if I sell the camper and the new owners don't like the backsplash they can peel it off and have the original walls. If I prime the wall then they would be stuck with either my backsplash or would have to install their own.

Thanks,
    Dale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190327_124408 - Copy.jpg  
    Dale & Tammy
    Retired U. S Army and Retired Helicopter Pilot
    2021 Ford F-350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, Lariat Ultimate
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK (sold)
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dale,

I believe I have the same walls as you. I think I used CLR as a cleaner prior to install. No primer. Now to be totally honest, I had one corner in the bathroom that began to peel. Probably an inch or so. I pushed it back on. I likely did not clean it well or readjusted it too much. I did the bathroom and kitchen backsplash, so a fair amount. I think you will be happy with the new tiles.

Sorry about sideways pics. My photo app was finicky this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C61A66B1-E487-470A-AC4B-553EB6496A13.jpg   95B83654-76C0-4CE8-9BCC-F6F424EC3BC3.jpg  
    Last edited by Steve7; 07-11-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale G View Post
    What walls do you have in your campers? Mine is a tan color that almost looks like it is covered in a wallpaper. If you have the same walls then I won't worry about priming the walls because if yours stuck, mine should as well. If I don't prime the walls then if I sell the camper and the new owners don't like the backsplash they can peel it off and have the original walls. If I prime the wall then they would be stuck with either my backsplash or would have to install their own.

Thanks,
    Dale

It's the same papered thin wood wall panels. I think that if someone pulls the tiles off it has the potential to pull the paper loose from the wall.

Make sure you get as much of the glue residue from the other tiles off the wall as you can.

It'll look great when you're done
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Hi Dale,

I believe I have the same walls as you. I think I used CLR as a cleaner prior to install. No primer. Now to be totally honest, I had one corner in the bathroom that began to peel. Probably an inch or so. I pushed it back on. I likely did not clean it well or readjusted it too much. I did the bathroom and kitchen backsplash, so a fair amount. I think you will be happy with the new tiles.

Sorry about sideways pics. My photo app was finicky this morning.
    Thanks, I appreciate the information. Your pictures look fine if you lay your head down on the desk
    Dale & Tammy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

It's the same papered thin wood wall panels. I think that if someone pulls the tiles off it has the potential to pull the paper loose from the wall.

Make sure you get as much of the glue residue from the other tiles off the wall as you can.

It'll look great when you're done
    It has to be better than walking into the camper and finding 1/3 of it peeled and having to constantly stick it back up. I am hoping the other adhesive stays on the tiles and does not leave any on the wall. If not, I will find something to remove it. I would imagine that the alcohol would dissolve it.
    Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went out to start packing the camper and this is what I found, and this is after sticking them back up yesterday. I think in the morning while it is cool I am going to peel it all off. I really don't feel like fighting with it for a 2 week camping trip.

Dale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190711_125744.jpg   20190711_125755.jpg   20190711_125802.jpg  
    Dale & Tammy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    What do you use to prime the wall? Thx.
    A water based primer sealer like Kilz or similar, worked well for me AND was recommended for the material I used.
    Don't use oil based primers as they will eat right through the thermoplastic wallcovering GD applies to their luan !!

IDK what Smart Tiles are... but appear to be a shiny, plastic material with minimal adhesive backing, might explain WHY the delam ? Plus, it's somewhat porous.

ANY material.that is adhered to the luan will leave some trace of damage upon removal, otherwise it hasnt adhered, IMO.

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Breeze View Post
    A water based primer sealer like Kilz or similar, worked well for me AND was recommended for the material I used.
    Don't use oil based primers as they will eat right through the thermoplastic wallcovering GD applies to their luan !!

IDK what Smart Tiles are... but appear to be a shiny, plastic material with minimal adhesive backing, might explain WHY the delam ? Plus, it's somewhat porous.

ANY material.that is adhered to the luan will leave some trace of damage upon removal, otherwise it hasnt adhered, IMO.

Michael

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to peel it off this evening once it cools down a little. I really don't want the hassles of reapplying it constantly while we are camping.
    Dale
    Dale & Tammy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale G View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to peel it off this evening once it cools down a little. I really don't want the hassles of reapplying it constantly while we are camping.
    Dale
    If it peels off that easily.... better to put it aside until after the trip
    Who needs more grief ?? [emoji4][emoji4]

Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast