User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dodge SRW or Dually

I was considering a dually because I do want upgrade to a Solitude. But recently I looked at a 2019 Dodge 3500 SRW with the Cummins engine and Aisin transmission. That thing was fifth wheel prepped and had a stated payload of 4100 lb. So I test drove it, right to a CAT scale with half a tank of diesel and the 170 lb sales guy sitting with me. Based on the GVWR 12,300 and the CAT scale weight of 8500, it seems that just might be a sweet tow vehicle. With a goose ball, and a full tank of diesel (minus the sales guy) I'd probably have about 3800lb of payload. Does anyone own one of these newer Dodge SRW trucks? How do they tow?
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 2016 version with 900 ftlbs and the Aisin tranny. Tows my 15,000lb Solitude very well. Payload is tighter with the SRW but parking compared to a DRW is clearly easier! Power and stability with the SRW is perfectly fine. It comes down to whatever suits your life and personality best. Mine is door stickered at 3840 payload with a loaded Laramie Megacab.
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should know better than dip my toe into these SRW verses DRW questions but here goes. Hopefully I can just provide my .02 cents and not throw gas on some debate fire.

I have a Momentum 350M which is heavier than a Solitude. I started pulling with a 2015 Ram Cummins with Aisin and a Pullrite slider hitch (which is very heavy). It pulled fine up and down mountains in the western U.S. Based on trips to the Cat scale I was typically over my rear axle weight anywhere from 50 to 400 pounds.

I now have a 2016 Ram dually with the Cummins and Aisin. It pulls great. A huge benefit is the stability of a dually. Towing in a strong cross wind is not the concern as with the SRW. It is also more planted on curves.

I suspect you will be fine with a SRW but consider stability. I too absolutely did not want a dually but after switching I love it. Adjusting to driving it daily was not that big a deal but some parking garages are not possible.

Best of luck with your decision.
    Lyle & Cathy plus Boomer (English Lab)

2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2016 RAM 3500 DRW Laramie Limited 4X4
    6.7 Cummins with Aisin Transmission

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IDwanderers View Post
    I should know better than dip my toe into these SRW verses DRW questions but here goes. Hopefully I can just provide my .02 cents and not throw gas on some debate fire.

I have a Momentum 350M which is heavier than a Solitude. I started pulling with a 2015 Ram Cummins with Aisin and a Pullrite slider hitch (which is very heavy). It pulled fine up and down mountains in the western U.S. Based on trips to the Cat scale I was typically over my rear axle weight anywhere from 50 to 400 pounds.

I now have a 2016 Ram dually with the Cummins and Aisin. It pulls great. A huge benefit is the stability of a dually. Towing in a strong cross wind is not the concern as with the SRW. It is also more planted on curves.

I suspect you will be fine with a SRW but consider stability. I too absolutely did not want a dually but after switching I love it. Adjusting to driving it daily was not that big a deal but some parking garages are not possible.

Best of luck with your decision.
    I agree. I also have a 350M and tow mine with a Dodge Ram 4500, Cummins/Aisin. I love the way the truck handles when loaded and in cross winds, passing tractor trailers, etc. I would not want to tow a heavy fifth wheel with a SRW truck. I also tow a 16,000# gvw gooseneck equipment trailer. I have the B&W hitch with the Companion fifth wheel hitch. It is a breeze to swap out for the 2 5/16 ball.
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2018 Dodge Ram 4500 4x4 4 door flatbed Cummins Aisin 4.10s

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the above on full size fifth wheels doing better with duallies. The price differential is really not that much, which actually makes them a better value. And on the used market, the duallies don't last long either.

You won't be sorry.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IDwanderers View Post
    ...It pulled fine up and down mountains in the western U.S. Based on trips to the Cat scale I was typically over my rear axle weight anywhere from 50 to 400 pounds...
    Thank you for this. I'm not interested in anything that exceeds axle weights. Tires and suspension I can upgrade, though it changes little from a legal standpoint, so I'd avoid it if I could. But my understanding is that exceeding an axle rating is bad news. But then, I'd stick with my 35lb Andersen hitch, because I love how easily it comes out and how it doesn't hog my payload.

That said, I understand that the toy haulers typically sport higher loaded hitch weights than a similar drop frame rear living fifth wheel. Anybody towing Solitudes with new SRW trucks? What do the CAT scales say about your hitch weight there?
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, your in a Chevy now...why not stick with the Duramax and Allison? The 2020 Chevy is supposed to be something else.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    Just curious, your in a Chevy now...why not stick with the Duramax and Allison? The 2020 Chevy is supposed to be something else.

Red
    The all new model years tend to scare people away at first. But, having bought the all new 1500, I'm drooling at the new 2020 HD Sierra.

My wife would kill me.....
    2019 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L
    2017 Polaris RZR 1000XP
    Next - Momentum? ????

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    Just curious, your in a Chevy now...why not stick with the Duramax and Allison? The 2020 Chevy is supposed to be something else...
    I was going to go this route until I saw TFL’s review of the the 2020 Chevy 2500 against a Ram. They pointed out Chevy’s new position for the gooseneck connection—BEHIND the rear axle. Whoever came up with this needs to be beaten. That forces the truck to transfer front axle weight to the rear axle. So it’s easier to reach your axle limit.
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW