User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection Self Adjust Brakes ?

I just took delivery of my first fifth wheel 2020 Reflection 320MKS. I read somewhere that I may have self adjust brakes on this unit. How do I confirm? And, can someone explain how they work and what if any maintenance I need to contemplate?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregpallen View Post
    I just took delivery of my first fifth wheel 2020 Reflection 320MKS. I read somewhere that I may have self adjust brakes on this unit. How do I confirm? And, can someone explain how they work and what if any maintenance I need to contemplate?
    This is correct. My 2018 Reflection has self adjusting brakes. If you look on your build sheet that came with the trailer it will confirm all of the details of your build. The Dexter site has some good information on how they work as well as required maintenance. Had mine for 10 months and will be doing maintenance at the end of summer.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Automatic adjusters will maintain proper adjustment, they won’t correct brakes that were not properly adjusted to start out. Several of us have found our brakes to be so poorly adjusted when new that they simply did not work well at all. If you know how to check your adjustment yourself, make sure the brakes are properly set. If you have questions this subject has been covered several times here so a search for brake adjustment should get you plenty of information on how to do it.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    This is correct. My 2018 Reflection has self adjusting brakes. If you look on your build sheet that came with the trailer it will confirm all of the details of your build. The Dexter site has some good information on how they work as well as required maintenance. Had mine for 10 months and will be doing maintenance at the end of summer.

Rob
    I checked the build sheet and it does not mention brakes. It does show Dexter 6,000lb axles x2 but nothing else related

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get under the rig, you should see a sticker on each axle like this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2299.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	21301
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid1 View Post
    If you get under the rig, you should see a sticker on each axle like this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2299.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	21301
    Crawled under but did not see a sticker....hmmm?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To adjust and test brakes, you do best to find a big parking lot. Like auto brakes, you back up and pump the brakes a few times to adjust them.

Then pull forward and see if they stop you well enough.

The difference in prices between manual and self adjusting is just a little. My 2015 Reflection has manual adjust brakes.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    To adjust and test brakes, you do best to find a big parking lot. Like auto brakes, you back up and pump the brakes a few times to adjust them.

Then pull forward and see if they stop you well enough.

The difference in prices between manual and self adjusting is just a little. My 2015 Reflection has manual adjust brakes.
    Self adjusting trailer brakes are different from self adjusting auto brakes. Auto brakes adjust when they are applied when backing up. Trailer forward self adjusting brakes adjust when applied when stopping going forward. In order for them to self adjust they need to be adjusted manually first. Then they will maintain adjustment when stopping going forward.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. My trailer stays in a storage lot at our campground, and we've never had it on the road. I've got to check the brake adjustments and the seals to see if I have the infamous leaking brakes before going out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for your input
    I called Grand Design and they assured me that I do in fact have self adjusting brakes despite no sticker and nothing in the owners manual. My 2018 Imagine TT had an owners manual and a service guide with detailed maintenance and operating information. The Reflection came with a very vanilla owners manual which seems to be primarily intended to point out all the safety issues and owner responsibility. It’s a great get out of jail manual for GD but does little to educate owners as to service and maintenance procedures they can do themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast