User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Just beware that more and more park may prohibit their use. Whether or not they enforce it is another topic:

NFPA 70, Article 551 "Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks"

Part II, 551.20 "Combination Electrical Systems"

(E)"Autotransformers. Autotransformers shall not be used."
    Exactly the reason I want to get mine wired in permanently inside the unit. Though I have never been asked not to use it but I only use it when needed and then I put it inside a plastic tote to protect it from the weather.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a bit of a nerd - and wanting my Autoformer operable almost all the time... on my previous RV I brought the power in and terminated it in a 50 amp receptacle; then I put a 50 amp male plug on my EMS-HW50C; I plugged my Autoformer into the internal 50 amp receptacle and plugged my EMS into the Autoformer.

I don't recall ever having to bypass the Autoformer but with this method of connection I could remove it if necessary.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weve been spending the summer up here in the N.E. US and N.B., PEI etc and have seen almost without exception low voltage at the pedestal. I bought the Hughes a month ago for that reason and Im happy I did. Sitting here right now with 118 in the coach, 108 on the pedestal. Low voltage is a bigger problem than spikes IMO, and will kill your inductive loads, like AC compressors.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My concern is the post that JKellerJr provided regarding the NFPA code of not permitting their use.

That is very concerning when something is "not permitted", in that code it usually can be attributed to installation/use problems and fire/safety related.

Anyone having additional information on this would be very beneficial.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were at one park in OR that said they couldn't be used. I think the mentality there was you were drawing more than your share of the power. hIt was an older park and I'm sure the electrical system was challenged in 100 degree heat.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I had one on my previous RV that I left connected all the time. It helped a lot. To save weight I decided not to carry it in this rig. Mistake - could have used it 2 campgrounds ago as voltage was getting dangerously low (near 106v). So in it goes this fall when I get home.
    First time forum user. Reflection 28bh fifth wheel. How do you know the voltage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrizzle311 View Post
    First time forum user. Reflection 28bh fifth wheel. How do you know the voltage?

Many of us have the Progressive EMS/Surge protector that has a remote display showing voltage and amp draw.

Red
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    We were at one park in OR that said they couldn't be used. I think the mentality there was you were drawing more than your share of the power. hIt was an older park and I'm sure the electrical system was challenged in 100 degree heat.

Red
    Thant may be what they think, but you're still downstream of their 30/50 amp breaker. The autoformer does not affect the input side at all. I dont think mine has ever been noticed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrizzle311 View Post

You really need a volt/ohm meter in your tool box, one of the handiest tools I have. But I also have one of these plugged in the house where I can see it. Warning If you buy one it will scare your you into buying an autoformer.
    https://www.amazon.com/Eversame-80-3...-1-spons&psc=1

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim2542 View Post
    Thant may be what they think, but you're still downstream of their 30/50 amp breaker. The autoformer does not affect the input side at all. I dont think mine has ever been noticed
    I agree with you on this. I was referring to the parks attitude.
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast