User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand older RV Parks having smaller electrical systems.
    The current NEC does allow RV Parks to spec their electrical system smaller than ideal for full use of the sites.

Per 2017 NEC:
    551.73(A) RV Parks. Calculated Load. Basis of Calculations
    551.73 Calculated Load
    ...The demand factors set forth in Table 551.73(A) shall be the minimum allowable demand factors that shall be permitted in calculating load for service and feeders.
    Informational Note: These demand factors may be inadequate in areas of extreme hot or cold temperature with loaded circuits for heating or air conditioning.

Read an explanation:
    This Table allows for the derating of the park's service amps based on the total number of individual sites within the park.
    For example: The demand factor for a service supply just 1 RV site is 100%, which is to say there is no allowable demand factor at all.
    But when there are 36 or more sites in the park, the demand factor from the Table is 41%, regardless of how many sites there are beyond 36.
    This means the park electrical service can be sized at an ampacity no greater than what is necessary to adequately supply just 41% of the total load of 36 RV sites, instead of 100% for all 36 sites.
    This derating is permitted because the NEC assumes that all 36 sites won't be occupied and in full use at the same time.

Table 551.73(A)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEC Table 551.73(A) Demand Factors - Park Sites.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	21503
    Last edited by gbkims; 07-21-2019 at 09:20 AM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not too knowledgeable about the electrical stuff (fortunately, DH is). We are waiting on a 28bh with a 50A, but will mostly stay at parks with 30A service. Would we want to get a surge protector or the Hughes rated for 30A or 50A?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CampKeri View Post
    I’m not too knowledgeable about the electrical stuff (fortunately, DH is). We are waiting on a 28bh with a 50A, but will mostly stay at parks with 30A service. Would we want to get a surge protector or the Hughes rated for 30A or 50A?
    I would go for the 50 amp for both. If you have 2 a/c units and wish to use them both it requires 50 amp service. Even with 1 a/c , like I have in our 29RS , I installed the EMS-50C hard wired inside the camper, this will protect you from any power source , 30 amp , 50 amp and even 20 amp. I am not familiar with the Hughes autoformer but I am interested just spent a weekend with one good leg of power and one less than stellar at 104 volts.

Brian

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I my experience, I find bad power at 30 amp sites a lot more than at 50a sites. So maybe in your case you can save a few $$s and go with a 30a unit. It's the same reason I only carry a 30a extension cord - most places I have to run an extension to are 30a sites.

It's really a matter of what you think you will use the most.

btw..... I have a 50a unit. Only because I bought it used (Craig's list) and got a great deal.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a 50 amp service I would go with the 50A autoformer. No issues then if you do stubble into a bad 50A service. The autoformer had surge protection built in. But a good EMS isnt a bad idea either. I only have the autoformer now but I don't use it all the time so I'm not protected during those times. I just havent gotten around to deciding on something.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 50amp Hughes Autoformer and it's great. I would recommend them to others. The replaceable surge protector portion is great. Other EMS protectors will simply get destroyed when a huge surge hits them. The Hughes can take multiple hits before it needs a replacement module swapped in. And cost wise it's cheaper than most of the other EMS devices. It's a total win in my mind.
    Jesse & Anita
    2021 Solitude S-Class 2930RL-R
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 long bed SRW, Duramax Diesel. B&W Companion hitch on B&W turnover goose ball

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Ryan View Post
    Hughes Autoformers RV220-50SP is the top of the line protector, with a replaceable surge module. Free replacement if it turns out the first 2 years. But you have to order it and send back the burnt one. Heck just give us a spare for this price. Put it in the unit? Dude when it burns out how long do we go without protection to get a replacement? Otherwise, it would have 5 stars. -1 for not giving a replacement mod for the price. It’s about 8 bucks in parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenerus View Post
    I have the 50amp Hughes Autoformer and it's great. I would recommend them to others. The replaceable surge protector portion is great. Other EMS protectors will simply get destroyed when a huge surge hits them. The Hughes can take multiple hits before it needs a replacement module swapped in. And cost wise it's cheaper than most of the other EMS devices. It's a total win in my mind.
    People considering one of these devices may want to be aware of discussions about banning the use of them in campgrounds. The National Fire Protection Association has been weighing a change in their standards which would cause many campgrounds and the insurance companies that insure them to restrict use of the devices.

While the debate about them has been ongoing for a while, the website of the company manufacturing the devices makes it clear that the issue is not yet closed.

https://hughesautoformers.com/run-yo...20to%20science.

Buyer beware.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123