Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine XLS 21BHE Solar, Inverter, LiFePO4, Other Stuff Installation Help

Hello all. We bought the rig recently, a 2019 model and would like to have electrical upgrade for dry camping mostly. My questions would be:
    1. I see that people say they installed some amount of panels. But how exactly the cables are coming into the bays? How to know where to run them?
    2. The same for monitors (Battery monitor, inverter switch, etc...). How can one run the cable to inside without worrying to damage a pipe/existing wire/etc?
    3. Is there a way to obtain a plan/blueprint/x-ray of the rig to see behind the walls?
    4. Anyone can recommend a business close to Bay Area? The service center of the dealer we bought the RV is not very responsive, and they always try to move you in some direction.
    5. Is it a good/feasible idea to try to utilize the pass through storage's curved/front section for installing the devices and save the flat section still for storage?
    Thank you for your time and responses.
    Last edited by yasince; 07-11-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a2019 XLS 22RBE last October, and I am also interested in adding some solar panels and a LiFePO4 battery or two for dry camping. When I talked to my dealer (who have been very helpful on everything else) about dry camping mods, they look at me like I am crazy and basically ask, "You want to do WHAT?" Thus far I have only added an inexpensive shunt battery monitor by drilling into the pass through outboard of the frame (inboard of the frame is completely covered) in front of the Nautilus unit and then up through the bedside table which is the top of the pass through. As yet I have not found any reference for solar paneling a GD XLS. We are both trying to do something with a fairly new model that seems uncommon, best of luck to both of us.
    2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71
    2019 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2 Springer Spaniels - Sophie and Morgan
    1 Cat - Eli

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donandann View Post
    I purchased a2019 XLS 22RBE last October, and I am also interested in adding some solar panels and a LiFePO4 battery or two for dry camping. When I talked to my dealer (who have been very helpful on everything else) about dry camping mods, they look at me like I am crazy and basically ask, "You want to do WHAT?" Thus far I have only added an inexpensive shunt battery monitor by drilling into the pass through outboard of the frame (inboard of the frame is completely covered) in front of the Nautilus unit and then up through the bedside table which is the top of the pass through. As yet I have not found any reference for solar paneling a GD XLS. We are both trying to do something with a fairly new model that seems uncommon, best of luck to both of us.
    Thanks for the answer, can you send a couple pictures please. Also do DIY modifications affect the warranty?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am obviously not a craftsman, but this works to allow me to get away from the ridiculous battery monitor and have something that will let me know the actual battery condition.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190714_124641.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	21340
    In order to have a place to have the shunt for the monitor I needed an inexpensive replacement battery box.

Name:	IMG_20190714_124825.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	21341
    I drilled up into the pass through near the water hose entrance (used silicon to seal around the cable)

Name:	IMG_20190714_124907.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	21342
    Here is the cable coming up through the pass through.

Name:	IMG_20190714_125033.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	21343
    This is the monitor next to the bed.

The cable from the battery box to the pass through follows the propane hose back to where it drops outside the frame.
    Last edited by donandann; 07-14-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    1 Cat - Eli

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donandann View Post
    I am obviously not a craftsman, but this works to allow me to get away from the ridiculous battery monitor and have something that will let me know the actual battery condition.

Name:	IMG_20190714_124641.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	21340
    In order to have a place to have the shunt for the monitor I needed an inexpensive replacement battery box.

Name:	IMG_20190714_124825.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	21341
    I drilled up into the pass through near the water hose entrance (used silicon to seal around the cable)

Name:	IMG_20190714_124907.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	21342
    Here is the cable coming up through the pass through.

Name:	IMG_20190714_125033.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	21343
    This is the monitor next to the bed.

The cable from the battery box to the pass through follows the propane hose back to where it drops outside the frame.
    Thanks a lot. Do these mods affect warranty?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am taking the RV into the dealer next week and I will ask, but I can't see how. The only thing I did that affects the RV is replace the battery box and drill two holes.
    1 Cat - Eli

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand. I am just asking. This is my first RV and it's been only a couple weeks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the gut wrench well.
    1 Cat - Eli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took a couple of shakey shake down trips to a local state park to get used to being out in it; then we took off on an eleven day road trip after which we felt much better about the whole thing.
    1 Cat - Eli