User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 CHEVY 1 TON Enough TRUCK

Been following this Forum and learning a lot. Just returned from latest trip to Colorado pulling our 2018 Solitude 310GK with a 2017 Chevy 4X4 3/4 ton Midnight edition HD with OFFROAD Upgrade. Have done this route before with no issues. This time going over Raton Pass there was construction on the road and we nearly came to a stop. When we finally started going again, the truck could not go more than 30 MPH. Just TOO much weight for that Grade! I Realized at that time I need a ONE TON DIESEL. We got home Sunday afternoon and first thing Monday morning, I called the CHEVY Dealer in Houston and explained what I needed. He had 5 Trucks that met my needs and after wrangling a Deal, I left Central Texas for Houston at 2:30. I arrived at 5:45 and signed for a New CHEVY ONE TON 4X4 SRW Diesel long Bed with OEM puck system. I was so excited and had a 3 hour drive home arriving home at 1100 PM.

Tuesday morning I topped off the Truck and headed to the CAT SCALES with my trusty Mini AUSIE. #'s follow

Steer Axel 4940 lb Drive Axel 3360 Gross weight 8300 lb

My door post sticker says : GVWR 11600 GAWR FRT 5600 GAWR RR 7050 The yellow sticker says Never exceed 3470 lbs

I am feeling much better I THINK

I ordered a B&W Companion hitch rated at 20,000 lbs with a weight of 120 lbs. My Sweety wife and other two mini Ausies will add another 210 lbs
    the wood blocks and minimum tools I take will be 40 lbs. Total for truck is 8670 lbs. Now for the RV LOADING

I put minimum gear below in the front side storages. Two water hoses and Sewer hose and fittings. Power cord and two folding Rocker chairs. I also add my BTRY Drill and sockets and plastic chocks. That comes to another 75 lbs. I don't have to carry my Metal step ladder any more, as I no longer have a slider Hitch to tighten down Bars on!!!
    TOO COOL.
    I have nothing in the forward storage.

The BTRY 40 lbs and 60 lbs for Propane.

My wife says, our clothes, Hygiene products, and Dyson Animal Vacuum probably come to 110 lbs in front Bedroom. We take around 50 lbs of food and drink in the fridge and another 20 lbs of dry goods. All dishes and cooking supplies are over the rear axel.
    I never carry Waste water, BLACK or Grey, and always travel with empty fresh water tank. All places we visit have water hookup. Chris says fresh water tank is over or slightly behind axels on a 310 GK.

After doing the math I am Best guessing my Pin Weight will be around 2750 lbs.

I know the factory Pin Weight is 2350. From all the discussions, I believe that is Low. I know I am well below 13000 lbs on the RV.
    We just don't bring that much. If I use 12700 for weight and using 22 % I come to 2794 Pin Weight. My Guesstimate seems acceptable, But
    I am going to the CAT Scales TUESDAY with the RV, wife, and our little buddies, just like we are going camping! I will give an update when I get REAL #'s

Can anyone see that I am way off. It is late and I forgot to mention I do Pack a Bottle of Rum for ANY trip in the RV. I need to adjust the weight, DANGIT

I really do appreciate any advice on loading. Prior to Retiring from the military, I was an AH64 Attack Helicopter pilot. I am familiar with Weight and Balance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only way to know is go across another CAT scale
    2007 Volvo 780 VNL Trailersaver Hitch
    2017 Momentum 397th
    2015 Polaris RZR 900S Voodoo Blue
    2017 Polaris RZR S1000 Matte Black
    2019 Polaris RZR S1000 Titanium Matte
    3 Yamaha Banshee's 2-Honda 400 EX's
    Honda 250EX 2016 Polaris Outlaw 110 EFI

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep , another trip to the scales will answer your question , but I do think you will be fine and be able to add some more "stuff" ( or at least another bottle of rum).

Brian

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story 1st Cav, been over Raton Pass many times on motorcycle trips to Colorado. Welcome to the diesel world, you will never look back! As has already been stated, get it weighed again all hooked up and ready to camp and you'll know for sure. Sounds like you'll be fine though.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I went to the Cat Scales again today, Sunday. We added the B&W Companion hitch and wife and the other mini Aussie. This brought my Total Gross weight of truck to 8700 lbs. Sticker #"s on Door Jam GVWR 11600 GAWR FRT 5600, GAWR RR 7050, YELLOW STICKER SAYS COMBINED WT SHOULD NOT EXC- 3470

without wife and hitch and second Aussie CAT SCALE SHOWED STEER AXEL 4940 , Drive Axel 3360, GROSS WT 8300

with the 2018 Solitude 300GK loaded the way we normally travel, NO Waste water, Black or Grey, minimal loaded in underneath storage, three chairs, Hoses for water and Draining, Electric power chord, chalks for wheels and two small rugs, minimal tools.

Hooked up and on the CAT SCALE SHOWS: STEER AXEL: 5120, DRIVE AXEL: 6240 TRAILER AXEL: 10060, GROSS WT: 21420

Factory pin wt shows 2350, Am sure that is low.

Do I subtract 8700 ( Truck Gross weight with all load on) FROM TOT COMBINED GROSS WT 21420 ? If so that comes to 12720 for weight of TRAILER ALONE.

23% of 12720 is 2925 for pin wt., at 22% that is 2798 pin wt

AM I DOING IT CORRECT???

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Cav Duke View Post
    OK I went to the Cat Scales again today, Sunday. We added the B&W Companion hitch and wife and the other mini Aussie. This brought my Total Gross weight of truck to 8700 lbs.

...with the 2018 Solitude 300GK: STEER AXEL: 5120, DRIVE AXEL: 6240
    I'd guess:

5120 + 6240 = 11360 = weight of truck, passengers, hitch, 300GK pin.
    11360 - 8700 = 2660 lbs added by the 300GK pin weight.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PEE DOWGIE, JED! That is much better than I was Sweating. If I am understanding everything, That leaves another 240 lbs I have available to add to Pin WT, before I exceed My 11600 GVWR. I know that I will add around 120 lbs for clothing and Groceries in Fridge. I refuse to leave behind a bottle of RUM, but I will store that behind the RV axels!! LOL
    I like the cushion, and if I am tracking the conversations correctly, I could store the majority of clothing behind the axels of the RV so as not to add to pin weight when traveling.