User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes saldog, I don't remove the spring bars when backing up either, no problems. I use the plastic pads which is what I assume makes it very quiet with an occasional grunt when turning.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are using a Equalizer E2 10000 lb and it works fine. No sway. +1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sail96 View Post
    Yes saldog, I don't remove the spring bars when backing up either, no problems. I use the plastic pads which is what I assume makes it very quiet with an occasional grunt when turning.
    I am no engineer, but I would thing that the plastic pads would defeat the antisway feature.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up my new 2500RL last Friday. As I mentioned previously (I think) I am pulling it with a 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with max tow package and Equalizer 1K/10K hitch. I do not have the max payload package. I was traveling from around Chattanooga, TN to north of Nashville, TN. I dreaded this trip all week. I had never towed anything this large before. I was pretty white knuckled pulling on the interstate. I did not know what to expect. What was normal vs. what was going to be a catastrophe. Roads were initially pretty bumpy. I did not feel sway, but sort of a bounce. Through the bumps it almost felt a little like being pushed, but I think it more of a bounce. Pulling up Mount Eagle was no issue. Roads were smooth. Felt great. Downhills the truck handled pretty well considering the trailer weighs more than my truck. I had it in tow mode. The transmission automatically down-geared to reduce the wear on the brakes. Uphill it seemed to shift earlier than usual.

Big news it I made it home alive. My question for the group here is- Is that bounciness normal with this type of hitch? Is there anything in my description that is cause for alarm?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your trip home. First time I towed there was a high wind warning. Had to cross 2 big bridges. Never felt a thing. The bounce is fairly normal because the trailer tires are 20 ft behind the rear tires on TV. So when truck is going up then the trailer is going down. Sometimes I get an oscillation so I take my foot off gas. It depends on the road surface. We just drove back from Wells Maine without a problem but the NYC and CT metro have terrible road surfaces.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I ever got any sway. Just the bounce. Not even when big trucks passed by.

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SJ the " bounce " could be from worn out rear shocks, which in all reality control spring action. If your 2016 F150 has more than 10,000 miles on it you may want to consider some Bilzteins or something. My 19 super duty has 15,000 miles and I think the shocks all already junk. But some people think they come from the factory junk anyway. Also now that you have the trailer you need to work on some numbers. Loaded it up like for a trip and get it to a truck stop and get some actual weights and determine your pin weight. Once you have these you can start playing with tire pressures and move weight around to get the best numbers.It will really improve your ride. And maybe get a Sherline scale to know exactly what your pin weight is without any guessing.
    Happy trails!

DD
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally you will experience some slight oscillations when on rough pavement, such as on approaches to bridges. If you are experiencing as you described, "bouncing", it could be due to the adjustment of your weight distribution hitch, WDH.
    I would refer to your installation manual for the adjustment procedure. If I recall correctly not enough head angle will place more weight on the rear and less on the steering axle(front), and increased head angle will place more weight on the front axle.

A good sign is that you did not get pushed around going downhill, an improperly setup trailer and hitch can handle poorly going downhill.

If you have access to one, obtaining your loaded tongue weight can be helpful to make sure you have the correct rate of bars for your hitch. I was surprised when I purchased a trailer tongue scale and the loaded tongue weight of our 315RLTS is 1750 pounds. I was estimating it to be around 1350-1400. Fortunately my tow vehicle has the payload when it is fully loaded for this tongue weight.

Their definitely can be some time spent setting up your WDH for the best handling possible, but it will be worth it in the long haul.

If you want the most sway control from your friction type bars dont grease them or utilize the pads available, either one reduces friction (which assists with swaying). If the noise from the friction on the bars irritates you than try either one (grease or pads) and see how that works.

Contrary to what some may think, regardless of the tow vehicle if a trailer is improperly set up swaying can occur no matter the size and weight of the tow vehicle. If a trailer is going to sway, it's going to happen.

Hope this offers some insight, safe travels.
    Saldog
    Last edited by Saldog; 07-21-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My very first WDH was an equalizer. Now, I have a 2600RB . Only owned Equalizes. So, I'm with TheGuy.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin' Dreamers View Post
    SJ Loaded it up like for a trip and get it to a truck stop and get some actual weights and determine your pin weight. DD
    I did not know you could use a truck stop for this. Sounds good, but I don't have any near me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast