User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chillybob View Post
    Further to the info on Lexel. The caulking on my 2018 unit, that was built in 2017, was substandard. I started the replacing process and first tried to beef up the original caulking by cleaning and using a clear RV caulk. I found over a short time that layering over the original material was not working. I read about Lexel on this site and decided to give it a try. I removed the old caulking around some of the access doors and then used the clear Lexel. It's tricky to get on nice and smooth and there is a learning curve to get a decent result. I found it best to first use a thin bead and use my finger to smooth, (dipped in mineral spirits), only one time. If you try a second time it gets lumpy and ugly. I found that it works best to layer the beads a day or two apart and work it only once each time. After it sets, going over it with mineral spirits smooths it out for the next layer and takes off any excess. It seems to work well and looks nice once you get the hang of applying the stuff. I found it also works as a good first layer as you can apply a bead of white RV caulking over it on the front cap joints if needed for color. I plan to continue using Lexel and will evaluate how it stands up next Spring.
    Thanks for the update. I have not gone and done mine yet. Did a really small section but think I am going to give it a try soon before winter comes. How did you clean up the silicone to make sure that the Lexan sticks?

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob
    First I peeled out the old caulk mostly with a plastic razor. Then I cleaned the area with mineral spirits to remove any residual old caulking and finally wiped with alcohol. I did not wash the area with soap and water after the alcohol cleaning as seems to be recommended on some information posts and videos. The Lexel seemed to bond well after the alcohol wiping. I also tried to smooth the Lexel with a rag dipped in mineral spirits right after applying and it just seemed to make a mess of it. It worked better to use the mineral spirit wet rag after the Lexel dried for a day or two and before the next layer was applied. Also, where I got sloppy and peeled a little dark paint off the trim and where a dark decal peeled off, I dabbed a little black Rustoleum paint with a small brush before applying the clear Level.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chillybob View Post
    Hi Rob
    First I peeled out the old caulk mostly with a plastic razor. Then I cleaned the area with mineral spirits to remove any residual old caulking and finally wiped with alcohol. I did not wash the area with soap and water after the alcohol cleaning as seems to be recommended on some information posts and videos. The Lexel seemed to bond well after the alcohol wiping. I also tried to smooth the Lexel with a rag dipped in mineral spirits right after applying and it just seemed to make a mess of it. It worked better to use the mineral spirit wet rag after the Lexel dried for a day or two and before the next layer was applied. Also, where I got sloppy and peeled a little dark paint off the trim and where a dark decal peeled off, I dabbed a little black Rustoleum paint with a small brush before applying the clear Level.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I really need to get to mine as well. The silicone caulking that GD uses doesn't seem to hold up very well is some places.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about slowly resealing ours over time. Everything is fine now but it would be easier to deal with if I start now when I don't have to worry about getting it done and can work at my own pace. I want to use something permanent. Even if it looks a little ugly, I don't really care I just want to be able to go over it if I need a repair and not have to rip it all out just to re do a seam.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Aridon
    Not sure if there is any caulking that would work as a permanent fix. The silicone used by GD certainly isn't very good let alone the poor application of it in many areas of a unit. I had my first 5th wheel for ten years and completely caulked it once after about 4 or 5 years using white Dicor. So expecting 4 or 5 years is reasonable. Cleaning out the old caulking and prepping is the key to getting longer life out of an application I'd say. Lexel seems to be better than any previous caulking that I've used so it will take some time to see how it holds up. From my experience caulking that looks fine after a few years can be all still be allowing some water penetration so it's important to constantly check for any areas that need to be renewed. One solution that is likely to be permanent is using Eternabond or similar product on the roof wherever possible and sealing the edges of the Eternabond with caulking.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had volunteered to fix the botched shower stall install in my 260RD. GD sent materials requested to do the job. The caulk they sent is TremPro 645. I haven't used it but looking at the description and web page info would be a good option for resealing and repair jobs. Take a look at the service bulletin on the page.
    https://www.tremcosealants.com/marke...s/trempro-645/
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 10-06-2019 at 04:43 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Wicked Ace
    The web site states the caulking is a silicone material. As mentioned on this site, silicone is a one application product and cannot be added to or layered like Lexel. Probably fine if prepared properly and adequately placed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12