User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sealing a Reflection

I’m going to have to go around the rig and redo some seals on my reflection 337 RLS. First question, do they use Dicor or silicone on the sides of the rig? I know the roof uses white Dicor, but some of the stuff on the sides is clear, or opaque. Second, do I have to take the old stuff off the rig sides before applying new or will cleaning it be sufficient?
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We talked about this at the TN rally with JD from GD. A quality clear silicone on the outside seams is what can be used. I would look for one that has flexability and good quality. This is one spot where going cheap can cost you in the long run.

Personally I'd remove and clean the old sealant off before resealing, it will look better than layers of caulking.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silicone is used on the outside around windows and such. You'll have to completely remove the old silicone as nothing will stick to it, not even new silicone. Easiest way to clean the side of the coach is to remove the window. Proflex RV is a better sealant than silicone around the windows and shouldn't need redoing nearly as often as silicone.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    I’m going to have to go around the rig and redo some seals on my reflection 337 RLS. First question, do they use Dicor or silicone on the sides of the rig? I know the roof uses white Dicor, but some of the stuff on the sides is clear, or opaque. Second, do I have to take the old stuff off the rig sides before applying new or will cleaning it be sufficient?
    My 315RLTS returned from the factory with new walls and sealant. The sealing job was so poorly done that it needs to be redone. The factory uses silicone. Silicone sucks for this purpose. It attracts dirt. It doesn't last. Silicone will not stick to old silicone or even where old has been removed but not thoroughly cleaned so it can't be repaired. Why is silicone considered a good product for this use? GDRV agreed to pay to have the body resealed. I insisted that no products containing silicone be used and specified Proflex. Since the silicone needed to be removed and thoroughly cleaned off, why put a silicone product back on? I used Proflex on my previous trailer and never had to replace it.
    The shop uses Acrysol body spray to remove all traces of silicone. I have had good luck using WD40 and plastic razor blades to remove the bulk of the silicone.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spray WD40 on the silicone, let it sit for a minute or so, use the plastic razor blade in its holder. It will come off in large hunks with minimal effort. Wipe down with mineral spirits, then scrub the area with cleaner and you're good to go.
    BTW, this job done by the independent repair facility I use was over $2k, very labor intensive. Lots of silicone on a 38ft trailer!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    My 315RLTS returned from the factory with new walls and sealant. The sealing job was so poorly done that it needs to be redone. The factory uses silicone. Silicone sucks for this purpose. It attracts dirt. It doesn't last. Silicone will not stick to old silicone or even where old has been removed but not thoroughly cleaned so it can't be repaired. Why is silicone considered a good product for this use? GDRV agreed to pay to have the body resealed. I insisted that no products containing silicone be used and specified Proflex. Since the silicone needed to be removed and thoroughly cleaned off, why put a silicone product back on? I used Proflex on my previous trailer and never had to replace it.
    The shop uses Acrysol body spray to remove all traces of silicone. I have had good luck using WD40 and plastic razor blades to remove the bulk of the silicone.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spray WD40 on the silicone, let it sit for a minute or so, use the plastic razor blade in its holder. It will come off in large hunks with minimal effort. Wipe down with mineral spirits, then scrub the area with cleaner and you're good to go.
    BTW, this job done by the independent repair facility I use was over $2k, very labor intensive. Lots of silicone on a 38ft trailer!
    Thanks Kim,

This is great information. I have some areas where the silicone is starting to come off and have been trying to figure out how to get it off without damaging the gelcoat and graphics. I will need to order this razor blade and work with the WD40. I plan to use Lexel to re-caulk. It is clear and easy to work with and has a very good rating for expansion and adhesion and sticks to itself. I used proflex on my previous Rockwood and found that it got hard and would crack and split in a couple of years.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob
    Where did you source the Lexel sealant. Iam using Pro flex right now for windows.
    Thanks Randy

7This is great information. I have some areas where the silicone is starting to come off and have been trying to figure out how to get it off without damaging the gelcoat and graphics. I will need to order this razor blade and work with the WD40. I plan to use Lexel to re-caulk. It is clear and easy to work with and has a very good rating for expansion and adhesion and sticks to itself. I used proflex on my previous Rockwood and found that it got hard and would crack and split in a couple of years.

Rob[/QUOTE]
    2007 GMC 3500 crew cab dually (classic)
    6.6 Duramax 6 speed Allison with Banks Economind Tuner
    stainless 4" exhaust.
    2017 Grand Design Reflections 303 RLS.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found Lexel at Lowes last time I needed it.
    2019 Imagine 2600 RB
    2016 Ford F350 CCLB SRW

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proflex is great but I found it very difficult to work with, and that it hardened and cracked after a couple of years. It is a killer to get off once it hardens.

I've been using Lexel for other applications and wondered how well it would hold up for RV applications. It is extremely clear compared to other silicone products.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongwayrver View Post
    Hi Rob
    Where did you source the Lexel sealant. Iam using Pro flex right now for windows.
    Thanks Randy

7This is great information. I have some areas where the silicone is starting to come off and have been trying to figure out how to get it off without damaging the gelcoat and graphics. I will need to order this razor blade and work with the WD40. I plan to use Lexel to re-caulk. It is clear and easy to work with and has a very good rating for expansion and adhesion and sticks to itself. I used proflex on my previous Rockwood and found that it got hard and would crack and split in a couple of years.

Rob
    [/QUOTE]

Hi Randy,

I picked up a couple of tubes at Home Hardware.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further to the info on Lexel. The caulking on my 2018 unit, that was built in 2017, was substandard. I started the replacing process and first tried to beef up the original caulking by cleaning and using a clear RV caulk. I found over a short time that layering over the original material was not working. I read about Lexel on this site and decided to give it a try. I removed the old caulking around some of the access doors and then used the clear Lexel. It's tricky to get on nice and smooth and there is a learning curve to get a decent result. I found it best to first use a thin bead and use my finger to smooth, (dipped in mineral spirits), only one time. If you try a second time it gets lumpy and ugly. I found that it works best to layer the beads a day or two apart and work it only once each time. After it sets, going over it with mineral spirits smooths it out for the next layer and takes off any excess. It seems to work well and looks nice once you get the hang of applying the stuff. I found it also works as a good first layer as you can apply a bead of white RV caulking over it on the front cap joints if needed for color. I plan to continue using Lexel and will evaluate how it stands up next Spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast