User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Level Up usage

ohman_stm

Level Up usage

All, curious to hear how you use your Level Up system. This is my 3rd RV, but 1st one with this system - needless to say, I'm still getting use to it....

The couple times I have used the Auto Level feature, it's not resulted in the RV being level enough for me - based on a bubble level that I use to sanity check the system, and, the fact that both the wife and I feel the camper still leans a bit (left to right). I end up going into manual mode to adjust.

Now, before I even attempt to use Auto Level, I ensure the RV is level left to right, with boards under the tires if needed. Unhook, then drop the front jacks to get it level front to back. At this point, I've got it as level as I can, and am ready to run Auto Level, and drop the remaining 4 jacks. Right or wrong, I do this because I just don't trust the system enough (yet) to execute properly if I start from a non-level state. My fear (warranted or not) is it will tweak the frame or insides, as it goes through it's progressions (gyrations). Fact or fiction, the horror stories I've heard with cracked cabinets or them separating from the wall, are enough to make me......paranoid.

My questions:
    1) Do any of you not use the Auto Level, and just manually level? I'm talking about going into Manual mode and using the Front, Rear, Left and Right buttons until you achieve a level state.
    2) IF you do manually level, is there (or should there be) any concern that the "weight/pressure" on each of the 6 jacks is balanced/distributed equally? I *assume* Auto Level does this for you? It just seems that once you get all 6 jacks down, and then manually level (whether it's left to right or front to back) by extending the jacks (if needed), would put additional strain on the opposing side jacks. In my old campers with scissor jacks, I didn't worry about this AT ALL. Now with a hydraulic system, not sure.
    3) Last night, after returning from a camping trip, I decided to Auto Level. When done, I noticed the non-door side of the RV had lifted high enough that the wheels were off the ground. It was level, but I just wasn't comfortable with all that weight on the jacks and the tires not helping some. Is this OK?

Thanks All! Excellent forum!
    -Tom

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tom, in the Lippert Automatic Leveling Operation and Service Manual, it states more than a couple of times, "Be sure to park the Unit on solid, level ground." I carry 2X8X6' boards with us just in case the site is not fairly level. That way I can level from side to side before using the Level Up system. One of the first times we used our Solitude, after leveling, the driver side tires were a good 3 to 4 inches off the ground. I knew that wasn't right so I found a Home Depot close by and bought the boards I mentioned. From then on, before unhooking, I check with a bubble level to see how far off the site is and use the boards under the tires that need raising to get the camper level side to side before using the Level Up system.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your levelling system is capable of lifting the wheels off but that should be done for maintenance only and use Jack stands to support the RV for safety. This isn’t for normal use. I would not go in my RV when the wheels are off the ground.

In normal use, the levelling system works great. I use mine all the time and love it. I mean, thats why I paid the big bucks for it. to make my life easier, set-up faster, and not to have to carry a lumber yard in my truck. Now I only have to carry some square pieces of wood in case of a dee depression because the struts have a max extension of 18”.

Its very easy to check the level by scrolling through the display as it shows the degrees of alignmnet form right to left and rear to front. you don’t need a level for this unless your checking if the system did its job.

Unless you run into the system that Dave mentioned above, don't add wood under the wheels because your making the RV higher than it would normally be when sitting directly on the ground. Then you run the risk of the Level-up system not being able to level out the RV if the height is more than 18” of the extendable length of the struts. Also you will experience wheels coming off the ground in your case.

This could also be because your levelling system is not adjusted properly. Set-up your RV on a level area and run the level-up system. if it doesn’t level it properly, then run through the set-up procedure described in the Level-up manual. Its an easy job that takes 5 minutes. Its something like pressing the up button 10 times and then the down button 10 times and levelling it manually, but don’t quote me. This is the link for the operation and reset of the Lippert (LCI) Auto Level system (zero-setting the control) http://lci1.com/assets/content/suppo...c-leveling.pdf. My personal preference is to have the RV on a slight angle (0.1 degree) to the rear to help with water off.

I always use my alignment system in automatic mode. I do use it in manual mode as in the case of a campsite that is not level to add more wood under specific landing pads, or to adjust it for unhooking or hooking up to to truck, and when it stops because of extreme temperature.

Also be aware there is an in-line 10amp fuse located near the battery. Never use a higher rated fuse or the system will be damaged. See my other post.

Happy travels
    Last edited by ACDW-Ottawa; 10-08-2014 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Did not want to contradict Dave's post
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

ohman_stm
    Thank you both for your replies, great to hear it!

-Tom

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in accord with Steve, above. We had just about the same experiences with tires off the ground. We also bought 2x8 and a bubble level to double check basic left/right level before unhooking. Then we let Auto Level do it's thing and every time it's been perfect. Now, that being said when we took a factory tour last spring I mentioned the tires off the ground and our Rep said the frame was more than strong enough to hold the weight of the tires. He is an engineer at GD and should know. Personally, I prefer more points of contact on the ground. Just my two cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the level up exclusively on auto level. And more than once it has raised one side or the other completely off the ground with nothing bad happening. I think I remember the manual saying it will auto level when it it is 4 degrees or less off level
    Jim and Kerry
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2016 Silverado 3500HD
    Diesel/Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. We just bought a 2017 300GK and 3 times that I've used the auto level system it has lifted the tires off the ground several inches. Are you saying that when you park on a not level spot that you put small squares of wood under the struts?? And you do not put anything under the tires? Or do you you both?

I recall the dealer service guy told me when the system does lift the tires off the ground that I should rememdy that because the suspension shakles could drop down and I'd have an impossible time getting them back into correct position. Does that sound possible?

What I've done is roll the trailer up onto some boards to make it as near level side to side as I can, then drop some stacking blocks under the low side struts so that the strut willnot reach it's end of travel distance. But sometimes the whole thing seems like it is too high off the ground. Why would the shallow side lift up so much??

Did that make any sense?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to ask, if you have to put boards under the wheels and landing gear what's the point of the level up system? That's exactly how one would level a trailer without the level up system.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had tires off the ground on one side for a week at a time with no problems
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only used my 2016 384GK three times, but only have used the auto-level feature. Works great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast