Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 GMC 3500 SRW pulling 381M/388M

Looking to upgrade our Attitude 2814SS 5th wheel for a TH with a bigger garage. The slide closes in to the Can Am x3, not a true 14' area.(wood trim rubs on door) One of our SxS group members has a Momentum 350M (pulls it with a SRW Dodge 2500) and the wife loves the GD toy hauler luxury interiors. Our dealership now sells both GD & Attitude and we like the 381M, it checks most blocks.(no solar included)
    Just bought a new 2019 GMC 3500 diesel in Nov because the old (2012 2500 6.0) didn't like going up mountains with TH. I just put rims/tires and suspension on said truck and you know where this is going. SRW has a 5th weight of 17,200 & pin weight of 3809 (on door) is this enough truck for these or do I have to get the G-class with the crappy shower curtain. Any insight or other luxury toy hauler options would be helpful. This rig is weekend get away and we don't fill any tanks until arrival.

Pete

2019 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    2019 Attitude 2814SS
    2018 Can Am X3 XRC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also called Grand Design Momentum Phone# and clueless phone rep. had no idea on any questions was transferred to Sales voice mail and no call back. I hope Grand Design is better than the phone line.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe this will answer your question.... http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

At least it will give you a place to start...
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 351M
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW CC 8 ft bed, B&W Companion hitch
    2018 Harley Davidson Roadglide Ultra
    2019 KTM 790 Adventure

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of the above mentioned trailers are more than the truck can handle. The 381M GVWR is 20,000 lbs and the 388M GVWR is 18,500 lbs. Let's look at the "lighter" one, the 388M. With the GVWR at 18,500 lbs and if you are loaded to that weight or close to it, you are putting approx. 3700 lbs of pin weight on the truck. Add in the 5ver hitch of 175-200 lbs and now you are close to 3900 lb. Now add the weight of EVERYTHING else you will be putting in the truck....passenger(s), toolbox with tools, extra fuel, grill, firewood, etc, ect. Only you know how many passengers you will be taking/carrying, the weight of your tools etc,.....but, even just the trailer pin weight and hitch will put you over the payload numbers of the truck, which automatically put you over the GVWR of the truck.....and this is the LIGHTER of the two trailers. There is no reason to run the numbers on the 381M and as a matter of fact, now that you know the number for the 388M, you need to do one of two things.

1. Plan on getting a Dually....or
    2. Plan on getting a smaller/lighter weight Toy Hauler.....the numbers simply do not lie.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Grand Design dealer has a 2019 381M for a deal of a lifetime.( A 2020 350 G was the same price...) needless to say we traded the Attitude 2814Sss and went round and round for a 349M. Looking forward to weighing it to see the “Real” weights. Toyhaulers are like sea-saws and loaded should have the same pin weight.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgr Pete View Post
    I just put rims/tires and suspension on said truck and you know where this is going.
    My question applies to this sentence. What did this entail? Those numbers on the door don't really mean much now, they are based on a factory equipped vehicle. If you put on higher rated rims, tires and suspension then well the numbers on the door still won't change but if that matters to you is your business. If its lifted with fancy rims and tires well now it becomes much more murky. The tire rating is easy to check, its right on the side. The rim rating I would think would at least be searchable from the manufacturer. I have no idea on the suspension.

In any case you will most likely be significantly over on the factory ratings.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design rep just called but it was a couple days late. The Tires-wheels are rated at 4050 & 3800. Should have waited for the 2020 GMC 3500 SRW for it’s rated at 21,500 lbs. 2020 DRW 31,500

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgr Pete View Post
    Grand Design rep just called but it was a couple days late. The Tires-wheels are rated at 4050 & 3800. Should have waited for the 2020 GMC 3500 SRW for it’s rated at 21,500 lbs. 2020 DRW 31,500
    I haven't seen the ratings for the new 2020 GMC, but I doubt that the SWR truck would be enough for either one of those trailers. As I stated above, the lighter one of the two has a GVWR of 18,500 lb....which is a pin weight of 3700 lbs if it's fully loaded or close to fully loaded. I'll say again, both of those trailers are in Dually territory for towing within the limits of the truck.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I haven't seen the ratings for the new 2020 GMC, but I doubt that the SWR truck would be enough for either one of those trailers. As I stated above, the lighter one of the two has a GVWR of 18,500 lb....which is a pin weight of 3700 lbs if it's fully loaded or close to fully loaded. I'll say again, both of those trailers are in Dually territory for towing within the limits of the truck.
    Well depending on the bed length his GVWR would be either 650 or 750LBs more than the 2019. Haven't seen any weights yet but payload should well north of 4K. Enough, I guess it depends on how its loaded and ones definition of enough
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Well depending on the bed length his GVWR would be either 650 or 750LBs more than the 2019. Haven't seen any weights yet but payload should well north of 4K. Enough, I guess it depends on how its loaded and ones definition of enough
    It looks like the gas motored 3500 Crew Cab (when properly equipped) can have up to 4398 lbs of payload. What that is really saying, which is like every other truck manufacturer is .....properly equipped = 2WD, base trim package and the gas motor. So that same truck with the Crew Cab, 4WD, loaded up trim package and the diesel will be in the 3500-3600 lb range....pretty much like the Ford and Chevy.....basically nothing to see here.......move along please!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast