User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rethinking offline TV viewing

We are taking a two month trip this fall, which will include some pretty remote areas. I did some research on the best way to download movies to play offline later with NO internet connection, and settled on using a chromebook to download the movies, and then cast them using a chromecast to my TV. Simple right? Not so much. I spent three hours on the phone with google last night and the result was that they don't have any idea how to make this work, and they would get back to me. I was planning on getting an unlimited data plan for my hotspot, and have tested my hotspot with my ROKU and it streamed the content about as good as with my home wifi. I am now wondering if I should return this chromebook and chromecast and use the money to buy an extended range antenna for my hotspot. I also have read a little about the Plex Media Server, that would work with my Roku.
    Before I started over again at square one, I thought I would check with you guys and see if anyone had any ideas. The main goal is to be able to download movies on my computer to watch from a campground in Northern Vermont with no cell service or internet access. Any suggestions are welcome!
    Jim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim and Judy in a Ram 2500 towing a
    2015 Reflection 29RS with modifications

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With enough coax, our satellite antenna ALWAYS gets a signal...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A portable hard drive with a couple of terabytes will hold a LOT of movies and is cheap compared to your current setup. We also use Verizon hotspot to stream through a Firestick when in range. Dropping resolution from HD to Std saves an enormous amount of data use when streaming and is barely noticeable on most movies/shows.
    This works for us. Obviously your tastes and requirements may differ.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^This. Friends of ours spent several years cruising on their sailboat. They had a hard drive with a what must have been 100 movies on it. Worked well for them and it was cheap.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As noted above, I try to stay with SD rather than HD for material digitally stored, on my 32” TCL it doesn’t seem to make much difference. That being said, I’ve tried a few things. The Jensen 40 plays DVDs but not Blu-Ray, we have some DVDs but most “hard copy” movies are Blu-Ray. To view BR I throw an old Sony 1700 player I have into the trailer. For digital copy of the movie stored on lap top or iPad/iPhone can be viewed thru an older Apple TV via mirroring.
    Last trip I discovered that my cable company set top box PVR works just fine. It had about 80 hours of material I planned to watch someday.
    What I do miss in some remote places is local and national news. A satellite system would be great if you pack enough co-ax.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plex media server, free.

Install and point it to your files. Use a Roku to watch via Plex app.

Enjoy.

Chromecast get thingie without internet.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple different options. Yes Plex will work, but you are going to need to 'rip' your movies first and store them on your hard drive for access later. You can then use a Roku/Firestick to access the Plex app, assuming you have a wireless router of some type as it will have to find devices on a local network, unless you are direct connected to the TV via an HDMI or other video port. I cannot remember if you need PlexPass or not to download movies or shows to a device for offline playback.

You can also use Netflix or Prime video and download movies offline on a phone, tablet, etc and then use your Chromecast, if you have a device (phone or tablet) that supports casting. There are also devices you can connect to a phone or tablet that will give you an HDMI 'dongle.'

I actually use most of the above plus more. We keep a hotspot in the camper, I have a Plex Server with Plexpass that I keep at home running with connectivity to an OTA hub for local channel access and DVR capabilities. As long as I have internet service I have access to my media library, my streaming services, and local channels from home as well via Plex.

When not Internet services are available we have a folder of DVDs as well or I cast via downloaded movies on my phone through the ROKU (which supports casting).
    Last edited by QCCowboy; 07-15-2019 at 07:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several months ago I put together a Video Server based on a U-Tube video. It uses a Raspberry Pi and portable hard drive, was relatively inexpensive and works great. You can create video files by ripping DVDs or getting them from another source. I velcro’d It to the wall behind the TV and anytime we want to watch a movie or recorded show we can. Here’s the link: https://youtu.be/uCSJ8QklyK4
    Chip & Jen Snow - Dogs: Gracie & Gryff

2019 F-350 6.7L DRW
    2019 Solitude S-Class 3350RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you guy give me a little more detail about how plex would work with a Roku? Will plex store movies downloaded from Netflix or Amazon prime, or do you get them from another source? Do you need an hdmi cable to attach to the TV, or does the Roku pick it up via wifi? My hotspot will support up to 10 devices.
    Thanks, Jim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim and Judy in a Ram 2500 towing a
    2015 Reflection 29RS with modifications

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thornhill View Post
    Could you guy give me a little more detail about how plex would work with a Roku? Will plex store movies downloaded from Netflix or Amazon prime, or do you get them from another source? Do you need an hdmi cable to attach to the TV, or does the Roku pick it up via wifi? My hotspot will support up to 10 devices.
    Thanks, Jim

Plex requires a local library. Usually MKV or MPEG4 format but many others work. You can download shows from Google, Apple, Amazon and if something doesn't work you can use a free program like handbrake to convert them. If you have DVD's or bluerays you can rip them. You can also use torrents to download them, although that is a more dubious means. Proprietary files like from netflix or prime aren't going to work with Plex, they need to be ripped first. There are programs that will let you download netflix shows but not we are getting into things that admins here might not like so I'll leave it at that. Google is your friend.

If you just want your netflix, get a laptop with HDMI out and just connect it to the TV and play it that way.

If you have a local network setup, I think you can stream the saved shows over to a chromecast. I don't use chromecast.

You can also use a Roku and do the same thing with their local app that plays video, alhtough the interface on it is bad and you'll have to share a drive via SMB or some other network mapping to get over there.

This is like asking how do I connect to the Internet. You can do it a hundred different ways from direct connection to a modem, to using a router and ethernet or using WIFI with a variety of different security options. You can connect to MC donalds wifi or maybe your neighbors open, hotspot your phone, USB connect and tether etc...

There are a bunch of different options that will work with varying amounts of work and investment to get things the way you want. Most likely you'l lhave to play with it and see what you want and what will fit your needs. I run plex, I have terabyte of crap on there I probably will never watch but it is on there and available regardless if I have internet or not.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast