User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the reassurance, much appreciated. I installed LED’s this morning so I wanted to see how they performed so I went for a ride & stopped by a close friends house. He’s been a die hard Chevy guy for years but couldn’t stop checking out the new truck, he was actually a little upset because now he has to look at Ford’s when he trades next year. We tried to fit it into his garage but it was a little too close for comfort, fortunately I told him the 2020 F-250SD is going to be about 2” lower, wouldn’t surprise me if he has a shiny new SD in the driveway for 2020.

The LED’s are awesome by the way! I’m a happy man for sure.
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the factory fifth wheel prep package last night, wasn’t too bad to install & took me less than four hours total. If anyone is in the same position that I was regarding finding one on the lot with the factory fifth wheel prep package be assured that the install is easy with a little mechanical ability. I also added airbags last week in preparation in case there’s too much sag with the 250 vs our old 350. I’m getting a little nervous about our upcoming trip so I may hook the 290BH up & take a ride on the highway this weekend to see how it tows.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5A4D0AD5-1904-4EBF-BCD6-B3299CCB8EAF.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	21852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7092A3AF-5DD1-46E5-B111-17F7D534DA23.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	21853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FFD92BD2-AD22-4322-91DE-33C545BEC1B6.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	21854
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great. Might take you a little while to find the sweet sport in the rpms, just let her eat you ain`t going to hurt it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kenny & Susan "Freddie" on board
    2019 Reflection 297rsts
    2017 F250 6.2
    14k Equalizer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the bed in your truck aluminum? If not, be sure to paint or seal any exposed metal edges to prevent rust. Otherwise it looks like a job well done.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired Copper View Post
    Looks great. Might take you a little while to find the sweet sport in the rpms, just let her eat you ain`t going to hurt it.
    Thanks, yes, I figure that’s what I can start to find on my test run this weekend. I’ve gone back & forth so many times in my head between diesel vs gas & 3.73 vs 4.30’s that I just need to drag the trailer up a few hills to put my mind at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    Is the bed in your truck aluminum? If not, be sure to paint or seal any exposed metal edges to prevent rust. Otherwise it looks like a job well done.
    Yes, it’s aluminum but I still bought a tube of touch up paint & sealed the edges after I drilled the holes, better safe than sorry.
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishwater View Post
    I installed the factory fifth wheel prep package last night, wasn’t too bad to install & took me less than four hours total. If anyone is in the same position that I was regarding finding one on the lot with the factory fifth wheel prep package be assured that the install is easy with a little mechanical ability. I also added airbags last week in preparation in case there’s too much sag with the 250 vs our old 350. I’m getting a little nervous about our upcoming trip so I may hook the 290BH up & take a ride on the highway this weekend to see how it tows.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5A4D0AD5-1904-4EBF-BCD6-B3299CCB8EAF.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	21852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7092A3AF-5DD1-46E5-B111-17F7D534DA23.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	21853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FFD92BD2-AD22-4322-91DE-33C545BEC1B6.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	21854
    Hello again,

No need to be nervous. I have the same set up as you. I have close to 3000 miles with this set up and no issues. I do not have the airbags. I am not sure I really need them. Ride is good no chucking to speak of. Sure it would be nice to have 900lbs of Diesel torque to go up a mountain but it is hard to justify. My biggest issue is getting use to a 5th wheel vs travel trailer. I keep waiting for that trailer to sway....The last travel trailer was a disaster waiting to happen. I am sure one quick trip down the highway and your concerns will be addressed. Have safe travels.

Setting Up Camp 2019RRSDLARIAT337RLS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will be in for a real treat once you hook your 5'er up. Night and day difference and its actually safer on long trips. We bought our first one just over a month ago and woe what a difference pulling it. So smooth and no sway whatsoever. I did have some chucking because the helper spring pads were barely touching the springs so I would feel it going over a hard bump, overpass, etc. I put some airlift airbags on it and it took away the chucking. So smooth. It would be tough going back down to a travel trailer. By you putting that fifth wheel prep on your truck, that hard work is going to pay off. You will not regret it.
    Irf & Amy & Our Doggo/Furkid Mr. Brody, 2020 Reflection 337RLS, 2nd AC Added, 2019 Ruby Red/Stone Grey Accent CCSB Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate 6.2 Gasser, 4.30 Gears, Andersen Ultimate Hitch, Traded in: 2019 297RSTS And 2018 F150 CCLB 5.0 3.73 Ruby Red/Stone Grey Accent

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your new truck, looks good. I hope you will post how everything worked out after you have gone camping, and how you found the 3:73 gears to be. I checked with most of the dealers near me and I also could not find a truck with anything buy 3:73 gears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cycler View Post
    Congrats on your new truck, looks good. I hope you will post how everything worked out after you have gone camping, and how you found the 3:73 gears to be. I checked with most of the dealers near me and I also could not find a truck with anything buy 3:73 gears.
    Hi, I’ve been mulling your question over for a couple of days since we are on the first leg of our 1170 mile trip, the first day being about 320 miles of towing through the rolling hills & “mountains” of western Mass & NY. We head off tomorrow for another 300 miles of towing towards Niagra Falls then from there back to Lake George NY & then finally home to NH.

Yes, the 3.73’s are fine, not great (to me) but fine for towing our 290BH. My truck has the factory 18” wheels & the G transmission which is the saving grace. I drove a F350 with 20’s & the 6R140 transmission without the steeper first two gears & thought it was an absolute dog. I would as most anyone else who owns one of these trucks recommend the 4.30’s IF you can find one but I know that is very difficult to do. I drove two different trucks with 4.30’s, one a very nicely optioned XLT & the other a very nicely optioned Lariat Sport. In the end I picked the truck I have since it was priced closer to the XLT than the Sport but ended up with the 3.73’s since I only tow about 2000 miles a year with this trip being the exception, this is our biggest trip ever (9 days with multiple stops)

So, I think for my situation I need to change my style of towing with this truck. I’m used to a diesel truck, I’ve had two before this one & towing is different as many mention. It’s a nice relaxing tow with over 900ft/lbs of torque, the tach rarely if ever climbs above 2500 rpm’s, climbing hills in the passing lane is the norm & keeping up with traffic at 75mph is no problem. I don’t think even with 4.30’s these trucks will do that, maybe with the new 7.3L it’s possible but only time will tell. So, back to this trip, I tried to maintain my usual towing style of 70 mph with traffic, sometimes climbing to to 75, sometimes above that as necessary & the truck felt weak, it did it but didn’t do it confidently IMO, also fuel mileage was terrible. I averaged 6.8 mpg’s this trip, yuck! I bought a gas truck knowing it wasn’t a diesel, wouldn’t get the same mileage towing & wouldn’t have the same power so that’s on me. What I NEED to do is back it down to 65mph, the truck feels very good towing at that speed, still has some more power in reserve & isn’t working as hard. Once I did that the truck performed well. Did I miss my diesel? You betcha, but I’ll get over it. I’ll enjoy the lower fuel costs, maintenance costs & no worries of failures over the life of the truck.

So I think you have to ask yourself what your driving style is before you buy one with 3.73’s. If you’re a “spirited driver & tower” then definitely get the 4.30’s or a diesel. If you like to take your time & enjoy the ride then go for the 3.73’s. The beauty is that if you find that you really can’t handle the 3.73’s you can always do a gear change later on! We take off tomorrow morning for the next leg of our trip, I’ll try to adjust my towing style, keep it reasonable & I bet it will be just fine, I’ll report back later this week.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B91FDF61-9F08-4481-BCB6-0864630AE504.jpg  
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fishwater re your response truthfully I gotta say thanks for an honest and thorough post. Certainly a lot of factors figure into this and my wife and I r gonna have to be real about how much we will go on the road. We did decide to move from our active adult community however, so the 5th wheeler/truck will have to wait some. Good luck to you and safe travels.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast