User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing with the 6.2l/3.73 gearing?

I’m seriously considering trading out of my 6.7l into a newer F-350/250 with the gas 6.2L for many reasons but mainly so the wife can drive it daily without me worrying about what she’s using for fuel. I’d like to buy a used 17-19 but can’t find any 4.30 geared trucks, looking at new I’ve only found four 4.30 trucks within 300 miles but they don’t have the factory fifth wheel hitch set up or the options that I want. I’m towing a Reflection 150 series 290BH that’s supposed to weigh 10k loaded, haven’t scaled it & don’t see the need for either truck I choose.

My next issue is that no one has any fifth wheel prep packages on the lot in New England so it looks like I’ll need to add the Ford factory set up afterwards. New or used I’ll need to add the factory set up so there is a financial cost either way to whatever truck I find, obviously more installed after the fact. I can order the truck I want but I’d really prefer used so I can run it for a few years without a huge depreciation hit. By then the 7.3l will have been out for a couple of years & I can then order one or buy used.

So who’s towing around 10k with a gas Super Duty, hows the performance? Wish you got the 4.30’s or something else?
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't tow with a Super Duty with 4.30 gears but with the trailer that you have I can't see you needing 4.30 gears with the 6.2L. I think the 3.73 gears would do just fine and give you better gas mileage when not towing.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Rob.

But since you already have the 6.7 engine truck, it'd be hard to justify trading it in for a gas version. There's just no gain to be experienced since diesel owners don't revert back to gas engines in the same size truck easily.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Fishwater...I just recently purchased a new 2019 F350 6.2L with the 4.30 gears to tow our 303RLS with and I couldn't be happier with it. I weighed our 303 last year and it was right at 12000 with full tanks of water. Like you, I also looked on the lots for a truck w/ that gearing but could not find it; even had my local dealer do a search of dealer inventory in a 500 mile radius. So I ended up ordering...placed order on April 30 and pick up my truck on June 17.

I replaced my 2002 F350 7.3L that had been nickel and diming me to death of the last couple of years, not to mention the several times we had break downs while on camping trips. I did a lot of research on gas and diesel and for me decided that the 6.2L w/ 4.30 was the way to go. We just completed a 1500 mile trip with the 303 last week and it was the first time I got to pull with the new truck. Overall, we got right at 8 mpg running in 5th gear w/ 6th locked out. Going up steep hills it downshifted, like its supposed to, into 4th and only once or twice into 3rd and I saw RMP's around 4500 during those times, but never once lost any speed or felt like the truck was struggling or underpowered. In fact, I was surprised in how it out performed my old 7.3L (only had 90K miles) in just about every manner....i know it was a 19 year old diesel but there was no comparison in acceleration in how much better the 6.2L was. Again, I know it's not an apples to apples comparison but overall I have no regrets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reassurance, I test drove two 4.30 geared trucks yesterday & really liked them. One was over budget & only a 250 but it had everything I want plus factory fifth wheel prep, the other was under budget & a nicely optioned XLT but no factory fifth wheel prep as well as missing some options I’d really like. I was thinking about ordering exactly what I want but right now Ford is offering 0% interest in New England so I really want to find something on the lot which means I may have to settle with the 3.73 trucks to find one with factory fifth wheel prep. It’s never easy, always seems that no one ever has exactly what I want, the downsides of being so picky, ha!
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option is to wait for the 2020 models and get the new 7.3 gas engine, supposed to be an animal. I know you want the 0% deal but this truck is probably a long term purchase and you probably want to get exactly what you want. Just a thought.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going from a Diesel to naturally aspirated gas, you are going to find yourself thinking the engine is going to fly apart on you. 6.2 gasser is a good engine, but its peak power is north of 4000RPM so you have to wind it up to make it pull.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have a long running thread on the Ford truck forum; where many have done what you are thinking about doing. I chose the 6.2 over the 6.7 because of it being mainly a daily driver too with trips under 5 miles. You see what I tow when the chance arises and can say it does the job well. I tried using sixth but the rpms dropped to low so I lock it out. Learning how to use the transmission helps when towing in hills. It will handle 10k quite well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kenny & Susan "Freddie" on board
    2019 Reflection 297rsts
    2017 F250 6.2
    14k Equalizer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really struggling finding a 4.30 geared truck with factory fifth wheel prep. Will the 3.73's work, people say if you're towing over 10k to go with the 4.30's but I'm at or a little under 10k.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a super good deal on mine and find that the 3.73 does a really good job on mine travel trailer at the weight you are. Don't expect to use 6th when towing. 65mph to 68 mph on the interstate turning anywhere between 2100 to 2300 rpms in fifth. It will be different and a small learning curve but it will pull it and do a good job. You will not hurt it just let it do its thing. Just research; I did and am happy with the truck. In fact it is becoming my favorite of all the trucks I have owned and that`s been quite a few.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kenny & Susan "Freddie" on board
    2019 Reflection 297rsts
    2017 F250 6.2
    14k Equalizer

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast