User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    I am curious... You have mentioned before that the dealer had your RV for 5'ish months before. Was that because they would not let you take the RV until all repairs were complete? Or was that your choice in that you wouldn't take the RV until all repairs were done to your satisfaction? In my case, my local dealer agreed to do the warranty repairs, saving me from going back and forth from So. NV to Central AZ. My local dealer verified the necessary repairs and ordered parts, then I took the RV back home to use while waiting for parts and repairs. Truth be told, it has taken about 6 months to get everything on my punch list taken care of (one item STILL pending) but at least we were able to use the RV in the mean time... Just curious.John
    The trailer spent its first week with us on our driveway, where it soon became clear that the dealer had not likely done the PDF claimed. The fridge didn't keep things even *close* to safe temperatures - 40s and even 50s in moderate outdoor temps - and the water heater didn't work, which made the trailer unusable in my book. After one week it went back - 1.5 hours away - for those and about eight other issues. We told the dealer we had to have the trailer ready for a trip about six weeks later, and they pushed it right to the day before our departure before "completing" their repairs.

Used the trailer for two weeks. The "repaired" fridge was not a bit better at keeping food cold; we and our daughter who used the trailer for a week both threw out a lot. The water heater and some other issues were repaired, others were not because the dealer forgot to order the parts for those things. Further problems arose during the two-week camp; we were now up in the teens of issues.

The trailer went back after the two week trip, near the end of August, and remained at the dealer until late November. The dealer claimed for weeks that they were negotiating with GD and Norcold to replace our fridge with a new one and finally got approval to do that. More than a month later I called to see when we could pick up the trailer and - I swear on my mother's heart this is true - learned after a couple of days of telephone tag that the dealer had neglected to order the replacement fridge! It took more than a month longer for the fridge to arrive, and weeks more after that to install it.

We told the dealer after learning the "forgot to order" news that we needed the trailer ready in mid-November for our departure for the winter, but it was late November (long after they had received the fridge and after my threat of a lawsuit) that they finally told us we could pick it up. When I got there the battery switch was on and the battery was dead flat despite that I had called months before to ask that they be sure to turn off the battery switch while the trailer was languishing on their lot. They replaced the battery while I waited, and then had to troubleshoot and replace a blown 10A fuse that had somehow blown while in their possession so I could operate the jacks and leave.

We left for Florida two days later. During our four-day trip one of the fridge vents behind the new fridge disappeared from the wall of the trailer, fell off on the road somewhere. The blind that the dealer had replaced because it had holes in it fell onto the couch, and something else happened, three problems before we arrived at our first site in Florida. The dealer refused to arrange for service on these things. I ended up in hours of back-and-forth with GD itself as they - trying to be helpful - shipped me the wrong fridge vent, then shipped the wrong one again, before realizing that their supplier no longer made the vent originally installed on my trailer eight months before and the "wrong" vents they shipped were the new right ones after all, so they shipped me two of those. I ended up replacing the vent and re-installing the blind (which required removing the valance) myself, which didn't deepen my affection for the dealer who gave us so much trouble.

Since then we've had about a dozen additional issues, into the thirties now on a trailer 13 months from purchase and the dealer's claimed PDI, and well under eight months of actual use. A hydraulic jack blew the seal on its top and cost us our next campsite due to delays getting the part from GD and getting a mobile tech to install it. (GD paid for that.) Our never-used water pump failed to pump antifreeze when I tried to winterize upon our return to Canada in April - I just replaced the pump myself with a different brand rather than have GD supply another cheap Lippert pump. We've had three valance trim pieces just fall off inside - I've now secured most of them with my finish nailer but there are two I can't reach with that and one of them is near to falling off now. Yada, yada, yada.

No way that I'm ever taking this trailer back to the dealer, especially now that it's warranty has technically expired even though five months of that warranty period were consumed in sitting on the dealer's lot.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    The trailer spent its first week with us on our driveway, where it soon became clear that the dealer had not likely done the PDF claimed. The fridge didn't keep things even *close* to safe temperatures - 40s and even 50s in moderate outdoor temps - and the water heater didn't work, which made the trailer unusable in my book. After one week it went back - 1.5 hours away - for those and about eight other issues. We told the dealer we had to have the trailer ready for a trip about six weeks later, and they pushed it right to the day before our departure before "completing" their repairs.

Used the trailer for two weeks. The "repaired" fridge was not a bit better at keeping food cold; we and our daughter who used the trailer for a week both threw out a lot. The water heater and some other issues were repaired, others were not because the dealer forgot to order the parts for those things. Further problems arose during the two-week camp; we were now up in the teens of issues.

The trailer went back after the two week trip, near the end of August, and remained at the dealer until late November. The dealer claimed for weeks that they were negotiating with GD and Norcold to replace our fridge with a new one and finally got approval to do that. More than a month later I called to see when we could pick up the trailer and - I swear on my mother's heart this is true - learned after a couple of days of telephone tag that the dealer had neglected to order the replacement fridge! It took more than a month longer for the fridge to arrive, and weeks more after that to install it.

We told the dealer after learning the "forgot to order" news that we needed the trailer ready in mid-November for our departure for the winter, but it was late November (long after they had received the fridge and after my threat of a lawsuit) that they finally told us we could pick it up. When I got there the battery switch was on and the battery was dead flat despite that I had called months before to ask that they be sure to turn off the battery switch while the trailer was languishing on their lot. They replaced the battery while I waited, and then had to troubleshoot and replace a blown 10A fuse that had somehow blown while in their possession so I could operate the jacks and leave.

We left for Florida two days later. During our four-day trip one of the fridge vents behind the new fridge disappeared from the wall of the trailer, fell off on the road somewhere. The blind that the dealer had replaced because it had holes in it fell onto the couch, and something else happened, three problems before we arrived at our first site in Florida. The dealer refused to arrange for service on these things. I ended up in hours of back-and-forth with GD itself as they - trying to be helpful - shipped me the wrong fridge vent, then shipped the wrong one again, before realizing that their supplier no longer made the vent originally installed on my trailer eight months before and the "wrong" vents they shipped were the new right ones after all, so they shipped me two of those. I ended up replacing the vent and re-installing the blind (which required removing the valance) myself, which didn't deepen my affection for the dealer who gave us so much trouble.

Since then we've had about a dozen additional issues, into the thirties now on a trailer 13 months from purchase and the dealer's claimed PDI, and well under eight months of actual use. A hydraulic jack blew the seal on its top and cost us our next campsite due to delays getting the part from GD and getting a mobile tech to install it. (GD paid for that.) Our never-used water pump failed to pump antifreeze when I tried to winterize upon our return to Canada in April - I just replaced the pump myself with a different brand rather than have GD supply another cheap Lippert pump. We've had three valance trim pieces just fall off inside - I've now secured most of them with my finish nailer but there are two I can't reach with that and one of them is near to falling off now. Yada, yada, yada.

No way that I'm ever taking this trailer back to the dealer, especially now that it's warranty has technically expired even though five months of that warranty period were consumed in sitting on the dealer's lot.
    These are exactly the kind of stories that worry me about my thought of buying one of these...

That's terrible. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience!
    2019 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L
    2017 Polaris RZR 1000XP
    Next - Momentum? ????

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    These are exactly the kind of stories that worry me about my thought of buying one of these...

And yet my experience has been all good - at least so far. The dealer was 2.5 hours away in NY - we live in PA. There are no dealers close to where we live. We bought the rig in April - April 8th to be exact. We did our PDI right before going in to do the paperwork. Found NOTHING wrong, and the tech went over everything well with us. I pulled it home after practicing a few backing in procedures in the parking lot (first ever 5th wheel). After our first trip I found that 3 screw heads had broken off around the slide seal brackets and one screw had never been put in. I also found a couple of small -short - tears in the outside wipers on one slide. I emailed GD - who asked if I had contacted the dealer. I said no, but that I would. They also asked for Pictures, so I sent them. I then contacted the dealer. They were pleasant, asked the necessary questions and ordered the screws. I asked them what glue they used to glue the wipers, which is apparently super glue. I said I would repair them myself, Which I did. One week later a package of screws arrived from GD. I replaced all 4 screws. A week after that GD sent me enough seal and wiper material to re-do all of my slides if I needed to!! By a special truck no less. Today I receiver another pack of screws - enough to go around one whole slide. I have no complaints, and the minor repairs took all of 10 minutes.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    I have gotten what I consider a good price on a 2020 2500RL, but they are a 2 hour drive away. For reference the closest dealer was 1.5 hours away, so none are close. The distance creates a logistical problem for purchasing. I can put money down to hold the unit to over the phone. They likely could get their PDI done before I got there (Thursday this week hopefully). I know I need to do my own PDI and will likely find something else that needs repair. I don't want to stay over night(s) while waiting for the repairs prior to sealing the deal and driving away. And I don't want to drive home waiting for a call to drive back after the repairs are done.

I am sure others have had to deal with this issue before. How do I deal with this long distance purchase issue?
    Our dealer was two hours away. We had a dealer closer but would not match the price. I put down $500.00 refundable to get it off the sale lot. I explained to the dealer we would have an extensive PDI prior to any sale. They had no problem. They fixed all issues and then we signed the paperwork. No pressure to sign anything until all PDI issues corrected. We stayed 2 night in their local campground which the dealer paid for. The tech provided his cell number and came by each morning. Going on two years with no warranty issues (knock on wood). I would overnight one or two nights and learn the RV before you tow it home.

Our dealer was Coachlight RV in Missouri and we could not have been happier with the service and sales process. You have to ask yourself are you willing to make the 2 hour drive back to pick it up and hope the PDI issues are resolved. Dealers tend to be a bit more motivated when they have to correct any PDI issues prior to the sale.

Good luck in your decision and welcome to the forum.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    The trailer spent its first week... were consumed in sitting on the dealer's lot.
    That is absolutely horrible! How does that dealer even stay in business when they "forget to order" a major component that's been months in the works? My issues have been very minor things that we just want fixed, like the LED accent lights on the bottom of the couch that don't work properly, or a propane door that needed the latch adjusted. I will say after Blue Dog RV (hopefully) finally fixes the LED lights this week we're done with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post

Fortunately from what I've seen and heard, and even my own experience with my RV boyscout's situation is the exception, not the rule. We had issues with my first Coachman TT, my second Springdale, and some with the Momentum. Just seems he got the "built the Friday before a long weekend" unit...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    I have gotten what I consider a good price on a 2020 2500RL, but they are a 2 hour drive away. For reference the closest dealer was 1.5 hours away, so none are close. The distance creates a logistical problem for purchasing. I can put money down to hold the unit to over the phone. They likely could get their PDI done before I got there (Thursday this week hopefully). I know I need to do my own PDI and will likely find something else that needs repair. I don't want to stay over night(s) while waiting for the repairs prior to sealing the deal and driving away. And I don't want to drive home waiting for a call to drive back after the repairs are done.

I am sure others have had to deal with this issue before. How do I deal with this long distance purchase issue?
    Good morning SJMaye,

The dealer we purchased from was also about a 2 hour drive. We scheduled our PDI for first thing in the morning. Either the dealer did a really good job or the unit was really good from Grand Design and didn’t need any repairs. We have had it out a few times and the only issue was a small piece of trim that fell off behind the bedroom door. There is no way the dealer could have found this.

While every manufacturer will produce a lemon once in a while our experience is that GD makes a solid product and coupled with a good dealer you likely won’t have any issues. Having said that, however, be sure to perform a thorough PDI and don’t sign anything until you are satisfied.

This forum will be very helpful in solving the little things that do pop up.

Congrats and enjoy your new camper!
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the tips, guys. This will be our first camper of any type. Retired 3 years ago. This was one of my goals in retirement. Needless to say I am pretty excited to see it happen.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to take a pdi check list with you, take your time and go through as much as possible before you sign. We spent about 2 or 3 hours going over our rig before signing. The dealer had it in a bay and plugged in for us and most important is they left us alone to poke around. Only once did a service guy check on us.

I thought we had pdi lists in the library but did not see one. Here is one by Changing
    gears, just ignore the Motor Home items
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Changin' Gears - RV Inspection Checklist.pdf  
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reference library PDI lists are here: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...rms-(Multiple)

Lots of resources!
    2019 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L
    2017 Polaris RZR 1000XP
    Next - Momentum? ????

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their guy doing the PDI is likely the guy they couldn't use for something else. Don't trust the dealer to do anything PDI related.

Don't sign until you're happy. The level of service you get when they are waiting for you to sign and after they have your money is very different.

I avoid dealers at all cost. I've found one in my travels I'd use, the rest are viewed as a necessary evil only if I absolutely need to use them.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast