User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic refridgerator temperature problems

Anyone having a problem getting and keeping the fridge cold enough? If it runs overnight, it will drop to the 30's on the coldest setting, but during the day (outdoor temps around 75-85) it will approach 50. And when preparing for a trip, I need to run it a full day before to get it cold. It also seems to work much better on propane than on electric.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s normal to need a day for it to get cold.

Not normal for it to get into the 50s in relatively moderate temperatures. Always take a note of freezer temperature too. The freezer cools first, so normal freezer operation with refrigerator problems is a huge clue.

You should start with easy stuff. The refrigerator has to be level to operate. It won’t work well off level and can be permanently damaged. Make sure the door(s) are sealing when closed. If it’s in a slide, make sure the vents are clear, the fan is running when it’s warm, and that the baffle at the top is in place as described in the manual.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saguido View Post
    Anyone having a problem getting and keeping the fridge cold enough? If it runs overnight, it will drop to the 30's on the coldest setting, but during the day (outdoor temps around 75-85) it will approach 50. And when preparing for a trip, I need to run it a full day before to get it cold. It also seems to work much better on propane than on electric.
    We have a thread here going on discussing this:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...so-frustrating

I have given up on mine and gone with a residential fridge, but some others have had luck with adding additional fans to the rear of the unit. Also the Dometic units go into a defrost mode where it cuts power to the fridge for two hours to defrost it. If you happen to turn the fridge on such that the timer for the defrost goes off in the middle of the day, that can cause the temperature to spike. Best practice is to kill all power (120 and 12V) to the fridge at around 4:00PM which should cause the fridge to defrost in the middle of the night when it should hopefully be cooler.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been told by the dealer that I may have 2 problems. One is that there is a baffle installed by Grand Design, not part of the Dometic refrigerator, that looks like it is blocking air flow to the upper air outlet. The other problem is that during travel, the flame may be getting blown out and having trouble re-lighting. Anyone run across either of these problems?
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2018 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Crew Cab Standard Bed Duramax
    B&W Companion Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are 3 days into a several month trip and can’t get ours to stay even remotely cool. Low of 39 hi of 50. I’ve installed interior fans and lower temp sensor for exterior fans. Basically lost a fridge full of food. Everything in freezer is soft. Read up on the dometic...piece of junk.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I feel blessed. I had a little trouble and times with our cooling on gas. It would get up to 40 degrees in 90+ weather. Last year I installed the double fans inside refrigerator and it was 88* yesterday and it was 34* without fans. Today it was 94* and with fans on it was 26* so I turned them off. Now we only opened the door a couple of times so if we had fanned it may have warmed up more. With fans off it came back up to 34*.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you put the fans?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is where I located mine in the refrigerator against the cooling fins. Bought them on Amazon.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190424_175203.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	22414

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been told by the dealer that I may have 2 problems. One is that there is a baffle installed by Grand Design, not part of the Dometic refrigerator, that looks like it is blocking air flow to the upper air outlet. The other problem is that during travel, the flame may be getting blown out and having trouble re-lighting. Anyone run across either of these problems?
    The baffle is required to help cooling. It forces air to go to the top of the coils. Look in the installation manual for your refrigerator.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dometic techs were on site at the National rally last week. They were working on Mike and Andi's fridge @Andi337RLS in their 2018 337 on the site next to us. We spent the week with Mike and Andi and they took pictures and did a write up of the before and after fixes with the baffling done by Dometic techs. Seems the techs also did some other tweaking as I recall. Mike also attended a session conducted by Dometic and possibly has other information to share of which may be helpful too.

As Andi is tagged, hopefully she will respond with helpful information for those of you suffering Dometic cooling woes.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast