Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Momentum 320G

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the question, but if it will help, here are the numbers for our 10-year-old F350 CC LB DRW 6.7:

Attachment 37944

Weight ratings have only gone up for all three brands the past ten years, too. With 3,280 on the pin, the truck sits level without air bags or other assistance.

Rob
    Yes, your DRW has 1200 lbs more payload than mine and much more stable because of 4 wheels in the back. I know a DRW would help tremendously with payload and stability, but it won't help my too light Pin weight so I'd still get sway, but maybe the truck would handle it better?

My payload is only 3280 for a SRW.
    2021 320G 3 Awnings, Patio Kit, 3 Season Doors, 3 ACs, Upgraded Stereo
    2019 F-350 XLT CCLB B&W Companion Hitch, Airlift Air Bags, Upgraded F/R Sway Bars, Leveled
    KTM 250 XC-f, KTM 300 XC, GasGas EX250f, KTM 125 XC, Kawi KLX140f

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe throw a couple hundred pounds of barbell weight under the bed? Don't think you would be adding much, if any weight to the axles that way. Most of not all would go on the pin.

I'm sure a dually would help, although not sure on how much with the sway, but with a newer dually, it would handle any weight with that trailer, and your family.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    Maybe throw a couple hundred pounds of barbell weight under the bed? Don't think you would be adding much, if any weight to the axles that way. Most of not all would go on the pin.

I'm sure a dually would help, although not sure on how much with the sway, but with a newer dually, it would handle any weight with that trailer, and your family.
    This is kind of what I did. Under the bed We added 4 Gallons of water, 2 12 packs of Coke, 3 12 packs of bubble water and some extra ammo since I couldn't ride this trip. I had 100 lbs of steel targets in the front hatch as well.

I can add weight to the rig, but the rig weighed 20 lbs OVER GVWR when I weighed it and my truck was 700 lbs over GVWR as well so more Pin weight will overload truck. LOL!

Thanks!
    2019 F-350 XLT CCLB B&W Companion Hitch, Airlift Air Bags, Upgraded F/R Sway Bars, Leveled

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chikenstiker View Post
    My payload is only 3280 for a SRW.
    The new SRW long bed one tons from Ford and RAM (not sure on Chevy) all have payloads of around 4,200 lbs, if you get one without the kitchen sink. Add at least another 1K+ lbs for a dually.

Edit: You were typing as I was. If my trailer gets around 16K lbs or more, a dually will be in my driveway.

20 lbs wouldn't drive me crazy on the trailer axle, but for not a lot of money, putting the 8K lb axles with disc brakes on would solve that, and other than not having the higher weight sticker, be exactly the same as my 320G with the 18K GVWR sticker.

Hard part is you're going to need to figure out what will work best for you. Maybe selling this one, and getting a different one without a light pin weight issue. Or "fixing" this one. I found that almost all the toy haulers in this size come with 7K lb axles.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 11-30-2021 at 09:02 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new SRW long bed one tons from Ford and RAM (not sure on Chevy) all have payloads of around 4,200 lbs, if you get one without the kitchen sink. Add at least another 1K+ lbs for a dually.
    That's what Ford and the others advertise... And I thought my Payload was 4,000 lbs until I looked at the sticker on my door jam. Only 3280 lbs.... WTH? And mines just a bare bones XLT without all the fancy stuff...

DRW seem to have ~2k more payload, F450 ~1200 more.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what Ford and the others advertise... And I thought my Payload was 4,000 lbs until I looked at the sticker on my door jam. Only 3280 lbs.... WTH? And mines just a bare bones XLT without all the fancy stuff...

DRW seem to have ~2k more payload, F450 ~1200 more.
    Sounds like you have a short bed, it is the long beds that have the bigger weights.

The F450 has bigger brakes, tires, and other components which also adds more weight to it. It is a lot more capable than the F350, but Ford wanted to keep it in the medium duty rating, which means it got the same 14K GVWR as the F350. Heavier duty, and more capable truck with a low GVWR. One plus with the F450 is, it has a better turn radius than the F350, and will turn inside of it. Probably as good or better than your current truck.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 11-30-2021 at 09:32 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have a short bed, it is the long beds that have the bigger weights.
    NOPE! As mentioned above and in my sig I have a 2019 F-350 XLT 6.7L CCLB 4X4 and my sticker says 3,287 lbs...

CCLB - Crew Cab Long Bed

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOPE! As mentioned above and in my sig I have a 2019 F-350 XLT 6.7L CCLB 4X4 and my sticker says 3,287 lbs...

CCLB - Crew Cab Long Bed
    Missed that. You got a truck has the 11,500 GVWR instead of the one that has the 12,400 GVWR, which has the 4K+ payload. Not sure what the difference is, other than the sticker.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Missed that. You got a truck has the 11,500 GVWR instead of the one that has the 12,400 GVWR, which has the 4K+ payload. Not sure what the difference is, other than the sticker.
    Per Fords Documentation 11,500 is max you can get a SRW in. Shows the Max Payload as 4,450, but that is not my sticker. LOL I assume that is for the Gas Engine and before any options than I have?

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...Super-Duty.pdf

On Edit: Looks like the newer generation 2021s have a 12,400 available, my 2019 11,500 was max. Funny thing is payload only went up by 100 lbs so the trucks must have increased weight by 800 lbs?
    Last edited by chikenstiker; 11-30-2021 at 10:07 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE:

Cliff Notes: DRW FTW.. Holy Carp, I'd have never guessed it'd make that much difference!!!

Long description:

So, I filed my fresh water full, left all dirt bikes in (3 at the moment), Empty Black and Gray, taken food out and taken the ammo and targets out from the last trip. So trailer should have had the 14.7% or less Pin weight. I wanted an accurate test or if anything a little extra light to represent the usual 4 dirtbikes in back.

Buddy came ofer with '15 F350 DRW 35" tires and small lift. Took a drive up and over the Altamont (I get a lot of sway on the downhills. It towed almost perfectly straight, you could see little sways in the trailer looking in the side mirror, but they were small and then gone. I did a steering wheel whip back and forth on the downhill all prepared to have to hit the trailer brakes and the trailer whipped out maybe 6" and bam cam back with very little movement the opposite direction. It felt Safe, Planted and "Normal". Buddy is in the passenger seat and says that tiny bit of sway is more than my 5th wheels has, but I wouldn't worry about it. I told him that's not how my truck tows. Windy Road back to house at 55-60 and the DRW took the corners with very little swing out if any!

Back to the house and we hook up my truck. Getting on the freeway only doing 40 and buddy looks over at me because he can feel it. Up and over hill the trailer sways out 3-6" occasionally for no reason and comes back with a couple wiggles and you can feel the truck being pushed around. So on the downhill side I give it the same left, right whack of the steering wheel and the trailer hits the bots dots on one side of the lane, then the bots dots on the other side of the lane, then back to the bots dots on the 1st side again and then sways back and forth 5 more times before settling down and the whole time you're getting dizzy in the truck because you feel the truck wagging back and forth. Buddy was like Holy Crap! I told him that's what I deal with on steep downhills and windy days and when big trucks pass! Then the windy road back to the house and every corner the trailer swings out about 6" and then swings back in and stays aligned after that. We also noticed on the side road when you come out of the corner and straighten out the trailer sways just a tad and again makes you almost dizzy because you see your going straight, but the trailer is wagging the back of the truck.

Neither one of us thought the difference would be that great! I would have guessed just a small gain, it was crazy! Driving his DRW I felt comfortable for once, I didn't even care if the Pin was light, it towed damn good enough to me. It had less sway than any tow behind I've ever owned had.

So, family has big decisions to make, Downgrade trailer back to a tow behind and 5-6000 lbs lighter or Upgrade to an F450. Still working on the wife.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast