Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Momentum 320G

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE:

This is for anyone following this thread or who stumbles upon it also having troubles with the Grand Design 320G. A Lot has happened since December.

I bought a Ram 3500 Dually in December and it mitigated a majority of the sway! I no longer drive White Knucked and worry a little less about how I load it. BUT, i still have a few issues.

- I still have some sway (was always told 5th wheels don't sway)
    - The porpusing is horrendous, especially going over railroad crossings or bad bridges, sometimes the whole trailer bounces the truck so hard you think it's going to break something. I say this is because of the light Pin which makes the trailer to balanced and teetering.
    - The trailer still has a very light Pin for a 5th

I've been working with the dealer and they have been going back and forth with Grand Design and Lippert who keep telling them there is no issue and they don't understand how I can get these Pin weights. I'm like light Pin from factor, toys in garage = DUH!

Grand Design/Lippert has had me:

- Weight my trailer multiple time on MY Dime $$$
    - Mad me empty my entire trailer except kitchen, fill water, gas and propane and weigh again
    - Made me bring trailer to dealer just to measure axles specs and placement
    - Lost those measurement and made me bring it in again for measurement (trailer 80% full)
    - Empty Water, fill Grey, Add weight to Front as much as possible tow and see if any better
    - Now they want me to Fill trailer completely like I'm going away for a week and take to dealer to measure everything a 3rd time...

Observations compared to other models:

- the GD 349/351 have the same wheel to rear measurement as the 320, but the front is 2.5' longer...

From Factory Pin was like 14%
    Heavy Trip Pin was 14.7%
    Emptied out except kitchen Pin was only 14.9%

I don't see how others don't have these problems, either there is something wrong with my rid or they just don't use the garage for toys. I can't imagine a 2000lbs SXS let alone it'd put me over axel ratings...

And now I got an out of office reply about my Friday measurements that my dealer contact no longer works there. So will I have to start all over?
    2021 320G 3 Awnings, Patio Kit, 3 Season Doors, 3 ACs, Upgraded Stereo
    2019 F-350 XLT CCLB B&W Companion Hitch, Airlift Air Bags, Upgraded F/R Sway Bars, Leveled
    KTM 250 XC-f, KTM 300 XC, GasGas EX250f, KTM 125 XC, Kawi KLX140f

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After making me empty trailer to weigh it they requested I fill trailer as heavy as I do for big trips so they could measure frame and axles for 3rd time. Called to schedule and Service Manager had quit. Had to start all over with a new Service Manger at their other location, 2 weeks she quit, start over with a 3rd he was a jerk and hung up on me. Went to the head Service guy for the 3 locations and seems a bit more helpful but says there is nothing he can do for me and that it has to come from Grand Design and he'll have the new Service Manager they hired contact me. Go to see that guy and he tells us that he can't do anything and that I need to go to the top guy of the company and see what he can do. WTH?

Towed again after they made me empty trailer to weigh and while we were there we did a little spring cleaning and took out the 10 gallons of water and sodas under my bed and the sway came back even more even with the dually!

Asked Dealer to buy to buy it back and sell us a better design, they low ball offered us less than I could get on trade in with another dealer AND their "great price because of our hassles" was only15k off the new one they were pushing us.

In contact with a Lemon Law Lawyer now.

IF you want to put toys in the back of your Toy Hauler DO NOT BUY a 320G!

If you're buying it for the extra room and bathroom and don't plan on carrying alot you're probably okay, but will still have a light pin weight...
    2019 F-350 XLT CCLB B&W Companion Hitch, Airlift Air Bags, Upgraded F/R Sway Bars, Leveled

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS

Called Grand Design multiple times and left messages to try and even just get my Case Number and Contact, never get a call back. Dealer Rep won't help me and sends me to customer rep who's line is always full and can only leave voicemail.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chikenstiker View Post
    PS

Called Grand Design multiple times and left messages to try and even just get my Case Number and Contact, never get a call back. Dealer Rep won't help me and sends me to customer rep who's line is always full and can only leave voicemail.
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you considered trying to sell the trailer yourself and then look for a different dealer that might be willing to give you a better deal on a different one?

My wife was able to sell 2 trailers for us fairly quickly using facebook marketplace if you go that route.

Some people have had luck elevating their issues to the top of GD management, I dont recall who specifically was contacted though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you considered trying to sell the trailer yourself and then look for a different dealer that might be willing to give you a better deal on a different one?

My wife was able to sell 2 trailers for us fairly quickly using facebook marketplace if you go that route.

Some people have had luck elevating their issues to the top of GD management, I dont recall who specifically was contacted though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I did actually just post it as another option. I had it posted about 6 months ago, but didn't get a lot of hit, probably had it priced too high. One catch is there is a trailer I'm interested in right now that I've worked a pretty decent price on and all others I find of same model are much higher due to the current price hikes. If I wait and sell and have to buy a new one at a higher price then it may cost me more than I make up by selling my privately? We'll see what we get going here.

Thanks!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chikenstiker View Post
    I did actually just post it as another option. I had it posted about 6 months ago, but didn't get a lot of hit, probably had it priced too high. One catch is there is a trailer I'm interested in right now that I've worked a pretty decent price on and all others I find of same model are much higher due to the current price hikes. If I wait and sell and have to buy a new one at a higher price then it may cost me more than I make up by selling my privately? We'll see what we get going here.

Thanks!
    Figured out it was going to cost me $20k to sell/trade-in my 320G and buy the Carbon 338 I was looking at so I've now moved forward with a few things.

I've added a Reese Goose Box which is 100 lbs heavier and has shocks and an air bag. This gave me some Pin Weight and dampens the porpusing I experience. Tested on a non dirt bike trip and sway may have been a bit less, but I didn't have about 500-600 lbs in the garage I normally do.

I also towed in the "Alt Trailer Height" position on the Ram lowering the front of the rig 1" and being almost level.

I know have a Case open with both Grand Design and LCI.

Dealer Called back finally for the "Tow Test" GD requested them to perform and I'm taking it in next week.

LCI emailed and requested I take some frame measurements as the one's the dealer took months ago I sent them didn't make sense.

Was told the Middle Hanger Center (bolt) should be 187 5/8" from the very front of the frame. Mine are 185" Passenger and 185 5/8" Driver Side, so 2-2 5/8" forward. Also noticed my Driver side Shackle to Shackle are 30 1/2" each, but the Passenger side is 30 1/2" Rear and 30 5/8" Front.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update for anyone following this:

LCI has approved the dealer to have a local welder remove and relocate my hangers in the correct position, just waiting on scheduling.

What a pain this has been and it took going to the frame manufacturer and sending them the info Grand Design had already received and told me there was nothing wrong and I needed to learn how to load my rig better. Fingers crossed this makes a noticeable difference.

LCI Customer Service for the Win!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123