User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question of balance...

I've heard both sides about whether to balance trailer tires or not. I figure having experienced the highway intense vibrations of an out of balance tire (by 2 ounces) on my small wheeled Honda Odyssey, I can only imagine the vibrations that must go on in the trailer and axles with 4 larger and heavier out of balance tires. Today I took my tires off and down to the shop for balancing. I was surprised by just how far out these almost new tire/rim combos were. One tire took 19.5 ounces to balance. The others were all between 8 and 14 ounces.

While I probably won't feel any difference towing... I'm sure the trailer, axles and springs will endure less abuse as a result.

The worst offender with 19.5 ounces stuck on (and yes he rechecked balance after putting on the weights):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9013.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	943.4 KB 
ID:	21383
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    19.5 oz is a crazy amount. When I worked in a shop we would always unmount the tire and move it around the wheel when we encountered a high amount of needed weight. Typically it happens when the tire and the wheel are both off balance and the heavy (or light) parts of each are aligned. Changing them to not be aligned drastically lowered the weight needed in most cases.
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you, I need to get the tires balanced on our RV soon, with towing from In. to Tx. and the little we've towed the RV, they still have quite a few miles on them.

The new tire we just had to get put on our truck, I noticed the red dot on the tire was correctly aligned with the air valve stem. Should have been the yellow dot aligned with the valve stem but there is very little weights on the rim so I figure it was the right place to balance it. Could have just been a coincident. Whoever mounted the tire knew what they were doing. The dots on the tires are supposed to help the installer correctly align the tire on the rim for minimal out of balance issues, so I've been told and read. I notice not all tires have a dot on them. Even if they did have a dot I'm not sure the average installer would know what it means.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 07-16-2019 at 11:58 AM. Reason: red Vs yellow
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, RV tires need to be balanced. Once I have time, I will take our RV to a local tire shop and have them balanced.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the balancing beads when I replaced the westlake's with the Sailun's. The overwhelming opinions I was getting was that it was better option on heavier tires

http://innovativebalancing.com/
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the balancing beads also and have been happy with them. They are not a good idea though if you have tire sensors as they will plug up the sensors.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We have the balancing beads also and have been happy with them. They are not a good idea though if you have tire sensors as they will plug up the sensors.
    The place I bought mine from said that TPMS shouldn't be a problem but I don't have one so I cant confirm that. Maybe it depends on the brand/type used
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm......I never heard of "balance beads" until today. If they truely work, it sure beats taking the tires off one at a time an hauling them down to the tire store. Unfortunately none of the tire stores near me have a large enough parking lot to accomodate my truck and trailer, so my only option is to do one or maybe two tires at a time. So using "balance beads" would be so much easier for me.

Concerned about the clogging issue mentioned above, I emailed TST and asked if they knew of any issues with "Balance Beads" Below is there reply.

"The only time balance beads seem to be an issue is when you take the sensor off the wheel, the hiss of air can cause a bead to get stuck in the valve stem and make the tire keep leaking. With the flow through sensor, you are leaving the sensor o the tire, so it shouldn’t be an issue."

So do "Balance Beads" really work?

Thanks

Bob

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While searching for info on "Balance Beads" I came across this video and Centramatic Balancers (http://www.centramatic.com/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtD6Mi3RTfg

These are about $50 per tire but they do look like they work.

Thoughts??

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had them for 2 years now. Tires are wearing even and things in the trailer stay in place when traveling. We have been happy with them. We do also have a air hitch which helps with the ride of the trailer.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast