User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHMadness has spoken the absolute truth. But have you noticed the prices of batteries to have crept up since you bought your last one? And have you noticed batteries for certain vehicles to be grossly more expensive than other batteries--like for a diesel pickup or Harley Davidson/SeaDoo battery?

I've found the big 3 auto parts chains to be extremely expensive on two items--batteries and motor oil. They buy them by the train load, literally, at incredible discounts. But they don't pass on the volume discounts to retail customers. My Explorer battery replacement was $129--ridiculous.

Right now, Rural King has the best prices on batteries--if you have one of their stores close by. They're often priced half that of other big box retail outlets. Even though they're Exide batteries, they're still cheaper over the long run.

I too have a diesel pickup with two batteries. The OEM batteries lasted 11 years. A pair of 850 ccm batteries at WalMart would be about $400 with sales taxes. Diesel fuel injections require strong batteries to spin the engine over fast or they won't start. And my batteries are starting to get weak after 3 weeks of sitting. I did get a lithium jump box as a backup, however.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are 3 major manufacturers, Johnson Controls, Exide and smaller East Penn.

If I have a choice in the matter I will take a Johnson Controls battery as first choice. East Penn batteries are a fine second, and it's really just a preference. No Exides for me.[/QUOTE]

OK, So where do we buy these Johnson Controls batteries and what name are they sold under ????????????????
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    OK, So where do we buy these Johnson Controls batteries and what name are they sold under ????????????????
    You've got to be a label reader. Batteries are big business and can change at the next board meeting.
    Oreilly Super Start is primarily JC with some EP on the higher end stuff. Interstates are also JC, and I'm told some of theirs are coming as EP as well. AutoZone has gone back and forth and had both over the years, I don't currently know what the Duralast is. The Sears DieHard has also gone back and forth. The reputation they had for being great was as a Johnson. I also haven't shopped a Car Quest or Advanced much since the merger so I dont know what theirs is for sure. CarQuest used to sell Exide, Advanced JC, they may still sell both.

Bottom line, read the fine print, because they can and do change.

A little backstory. I've been in the automotive industry forever, I grew up in it, I've been paid for it since 1988. I started as a machinist, got tired of being dirty and went to work for a parts store, got into management. Got tired of the rat race, went to turn wrenches, got into management. Relocated across a few states, needed a job, went to parts again. Got into management. Became a district Manager and a Territory Sales Manager. Got tired of the politics again. Went back into a shop. Moved across the country again. Managing a shop again. I'm too old to pull wrenches anymore so directing is it now. Lots of batteries on both sides of the desk.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to batteries there maybe only 2 or 3 companies that manufacture them. They are certainly not all built equal. They are built to the spec's for the company that orders them. You want the good tough battery that will take it 3 or 4 times as long as your average factory automotive battery. Then one word: Caterpillar! Measure your battery up go to a Cat dealership & find the best one that fits your vehicle and you will have the best battery there is. Being in the heavy dirt construction industry for over 40 years we bought lots of batteries for our twin engine Cat scrapers, D8 dozers, blades, dump trucks you get the idea. Nothing compares to Cat batteries. The construction of the batteries is tougher to withstand the pounding over rock & dirt jobs. Day after day month after month. We had a mechanic who helped repair & fix our equipment. He started a battery business so we bought batteries from him for a while. They were Interstate. Pure junk next to Cat batteries. We would get 2 years out of a set 3 if we were lucky. Eventually went back to Cat batteries. And yes they cost twice as much, but guess what? Battery problems solved. The batteries would last 8-10 years. And since all Cat batteries were sealed. Guess what? No corrosion problems. Just my 2 cents worth on batteries. Also my dad has a brand new f-150 and it has a AGM battery from the factory under the hood. They are the way to go.
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    When it comes to batteries there maybe only 2 or 3 companies that manufacture them. They are certainly not all built equal. They are built to the spec's for the company that orders them. You want the good tough battery that will take it 3 or 4 times as long as your average factory automotive battery. Then one word: Caterpillar! Measure your battery up go to a Cat dealership & find the best one that fits your vehicle and you will have the best battery there is. Being in the heavy dirt construction industry for over 40 years we bought lots of batteries for our twin engine Cat scrapers, D8 dozers, blades, dump trucks you get the idea. Nothing compares to Cat batteries. The construction of the batteries is tougher to withstand the pounding over rock & dirt jobs. Day after day month after month. We had a mechanic who helped repair & fix our equipment. He started a battery business so we bought batteries from him for a while. They were Interstate. Pure junk next to Cat batteries. We would get 2 years out of a set 3 if we were lucky. Eventually went back to Cat batteries. And yes they cost twice as much, but guess what? Battery problems solved. The batteries would last 8-10 years. And since all Cat batteries were sealed. Guess what? No corrosion problems. Just my 2 cents worth on batteries. Also my dad has a brand new f-150 and it has a AGM battery from the factory under the hood. They are the way to go.
    East Penn makes the Caterpillar batteries and Exide makes Interstate so this confirms everything PHMadness said.
    Last edited by pjmjunior; 07-17-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rojo, I am just an uninformed consumer, so here is my plan. When the batteries start to die as indicated by slow starting or losing a charge because my GPS and TPMS got left plugged in I go to the store and buy new batteries. I replace both at the same time.

In my boating days batteries lasted about 2 years in hot temps and saltwater environment. So I got to replace lots of batteries. I tried some "high end" batteries, got about two years. I started buying batteries from Auto Zone. Lasted about 2 years. But, they credited me money back for warranty (not a lot).

When I bought new batteries for my truck they put them in for free.

I am sure there are better ideas out there, but this is simple and works for me.

Walmart vs Auto Zone, probably not any difference other than in my head. I call Walmart Chinamart, yes they are inexpensive, but they also tend to be cheap. Auto Zone probably is not any better, but I have not had their stuff fall apart quickly.
    Last edited by D2Reid; 07-17-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to buy Everstart batteries at Walmart, and if there was to be a problem with them it usually happened within the three year free replacement period. I'm talking about four vehicles, two cars and two diesel trucks that my wife and I drive regularly. Of course, the diesel trucks need two batteries each, so I've bought quite a few Walmart/Everstart units over the years. One pair even lasted over 10 years in one of my trucks, but recently we've had failures in the cars.

Problems with the Everstart batteries became more frequent, and some failed outside of the three year replacement period. (Perhaps that was when Walmart decided to change manufacturers for their batteries?) I decided it wasn't a good thing to keep buying Walmart batteries. At the next opportunity for a battery replacement I tried AutoZone and bought AutoCraft batteries (not that cheap either) for my truck. Those two batteries got weak within 6 months, and quit turning the engine over fast enough to start the PowerStroke.

Now I spend less than I did at AutoZone, and I buy Duracell branded batteries at Batteries Plus Bulbs stores. They offer a discount if ordering online, and you can pick them up at a local store. I've not had a single Duracell battery fail within 5-6 years after I've purchased, and that's the age that I expect to get from automotive batteries. I figure any life beyond that is icing on the cake for auto/truck batteries.

For powersport batteries, I stick with reliable name brands (Yuasa, Deka, Big Crank) - or buy from reliable US retailers (or USA manufactured brands). The retailers are also getting name branded units from the big three, but the major powersport retailers aren't as likely to want their reputation tarnished like Walmart is apparently willing to allow. E.G. - Harley Davidson batteries are good, but you'll pay more for one at the H-D dealer than you will by getting the same size Big Crank online.

I'm tempted to start trying newer lithium technology in the vehicles, but not too sure I want to spend that much money on batteries that might still need replacement as often as I see on my autos/trucks. For deep cycle use, as in RVs, lithium seems to be a no-brainer. (Battle Born - just need to invest in newer type battery tenders for use with lithium....)

Hope this helps,
    John

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    We have a 2015 Silverado HD3500 4WD 6.6 diesel (Duramax). It's 2 months shy of 5 yrs old with 82,000 miles on it.

When it sits overnight it seems to start a little slower on the first crank. At what point do y'all change out your batteries?

And is Walmart an OK choice for them? Being full timers I usually by from national retailers. Tires from Discount Tire etc. Walmart has their Everstart Platinum AGM H7 850 CCA for $164.86.

FYI. I'm a guy who changes out his tires with 20% tread left try to avoid roadside situations. I don't mind older tires until I put a 20,000# trailer on them.

Red
    I have the same truck with 63000 miles on it and I had the dealer install new batteries last year. Better than being in the middle of nowhere and the truck won't start. i would think that most brands would be fine.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat is a battery killer.

I spent 38 years working in hot South Florida, most of that time managing a group of field technical service reps. We had a fleet of 200 vehicles at our peak. We traded item in every 3 years. It was very rare that they would go full 3 years without a battery failure.

It was costly to have battery fail unexpectedly in the middle of the day so we made preventive battery replacement mandatory at the scheduled service at 2 years.

I had same experience with les than 3 year battery life on aircraft I’ve owned in South Florida. Aircraft batteries are Expensive.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also don't over buy on CCA (cold cranking amps), buy what your vehicle requires and no more. Batteries with more CCA have to fit more plates in the same size case so you get thinner plates that don't last as long, and you get more charge and discharge heat which further shortens battery life. I know it's hard for us big truck guys to understand why more isn't always better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast