User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK - let's talk about batteries for your tow vehicle.

We have a 2015 Silverado HD3500 4WD 6.6 diesel (Duramax). It's 2 months shy of 5 yrs old with 82,000 miles on it.

When it sits overnight it seems to start a little slower on the first crank. At what point do y'all change out your batteries?

And is Walmart an OK choice for them? Being full timers I usually by from national retailers. Tires from Discount Tire etc. Walmart has their Everstart Platinum AGM H7 850 CCA for $164.86.

FYI. I'm a guy who changes out his tires with 20% tread left try to avoid roadside situations. I don't mind older tires until I put a 20,000# trailer on them.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Red,
    I was in a battery factory many years ago (read early 70's) and saw batteries being produced for Sears, Montgomery Wards, JC Penny's etc. all going down the same line they were only separated at the very end when the labels got put on. With all the mergers and acquisitions nowadays I suspect Interstate or similar makes the majority of the batteries. I'm pretty certain Walmart doesn't so if the price is right and the rating is what you are looking for I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one from them.

My .02,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was checking my fluids a few days ago and saw that I had a few cells that were low, I topped off with distilled water. The truck sat for a few days and when I went to start it one of the batteries was dead enough that it wouldn't turn over. They were the OME Ford and 8 yrs old.
    I guess that adding the water weakened it or something? I replaced them both with Interstate. Paid a little more but we are heading out on a 2.5 month 10,000 mile trip. These have full replacement for 36 months and Interstate is everywhere. I'm sure as stated above that there are lots of good batteries out there. A friend told me that he got his from Costco and within the first year (I think) his was starting ok but showing low voltage, they gave him a new one no questions ask.
    Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Walmart batteries simply because there are Walmarts everywhere which is good if one fails prematurely. Same reason I have Goodyear tires.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    We have a 2015 Silverado HD3500 4WD 6.6 diesel (Duramax). It's 2 months shy of 5 yrs old with 82,000 miles on it.

When it sits overnight it seems to start a little slower on the first crank. At what point do y'all change out your batteries?

And is Walmart an OK choice for them? Being full timers I usually by from national retailers. Tires from Discount Tire etc. Walmart has their Everstart Platinum AGM H7 850 CCA for $164.86.

FYI. I'm a guy who changes out his tires with 20% tread left try to avoid roadside situations. I don't mind older tires until I put a 20,000# trailer on them.

Red
    FWIW I paid $168.34 ea tax included for the interstate, J&G is right Walmarts are everywhere.
    Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually the first notice I get with a battery going bad is when the engine cranks over very slowly for the first time in years. With my old 02 Dodge the original batteries lasted IIRC 6-7 years. Replaced with Walmart Everstart batteries from then on and they typically last 5-6 years. I always replace both batteries at the same time and since there are two, it can get a little pricey. Since moving to Tx the batteries are not exposed to really cold temps and so don't use the diesel engine warm up much if at all, but they are exposed to extreme heat which can also shorten a batteries life. They have always worked ok for me. Since the truck has gotten older keeping the battery hold down, post & connections corrosion free has been a constant battle. I have used the little corrosion green/red felts or used dielectric grease on the connections.

I've never had much luck with the optima or AGM type batteries on other vehicles lasting longer for the price they charge so I just keep replacing with what works for me like the cheaper Everstart. $120 each verses over $250-300 each,
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post

Red
    The typical battery life is 4 - 6 years. Yes, others may have gone longer but these HD trucks are also tough on batteries. Yours is 5 years old and you're seeing slow starts, I would replace them before you leave but, then again, I'm a guy who changes out his tires with 20% tread left try to avoid roadside situations.

PS. getting ready for our trip I just replaced all 4 truck tires with 36,000 miles on them and still plenty of "local driving" miles on them.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in the great state of Pa. my rule is 5 years. We get hot summers and cold winters that tend to not be nice to batteries. I have gotten more life from batteries but in the case of our everyday use vehicles I use the 5 year rule.

Brian

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Exide made battery: Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group, Size H7/L4/94R at Pep Boys. 25% if bought online, picked up in store. So ~$146 each.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...-Pep-Boys.html
    Last edited by gbkims; 07-17-2019 at 07:00 AM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This topic just happens to fall right in my wheelhouse. I've sold, and warranted out literally thousands of batteries in the last 30 years.
    There are 3 major manufacturers, Johnson Controls, Exide and smaller East Penn.
    As someone else mentioned, almost every brand of battery is made by one or more of the three, some brands source from all of them.
    In my not so humble opinion, 2 of the manufacturers are just fine. Exide by a huge margin has been the most warranteed at my stores. I won't put one in my lawnmower. Your mileage may vary.
    There are also quality differences in the same manufacturer. I can cite two specific examples easily, one is Interstate. The interstate batteries sold in independent shops & dealerships are a higher grade than the Interstate sold at Costco. Not that Costco's are bad, but there is a difference. The second is anything purchased at Walmart. Walmart, god bless their capitalist hearts, are big enough that any manufacturer will make a product to a price point for them. I don't fault them for it, they are winning the capitalist game and I fully support that, but I don't buy their price point products. I used to, but now I'd rather buy better than cheaper.

If I have a choice in the matter I will take a Johnson Controls battery as first choice. East Penn batteries are a fine second, and it's really just a preference. No Exides for me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast