Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing a thermostat

I'm thinking about changing the thermostat in my front bedroom. The one I have now has a mind of its own.Any suggestions on what kind I should install, it's just for the AC.
    Pat and Bill with Kaycee the Shar-Pei Hound and Abby the Shar-Pei Beagle in our hearts.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 295RL
    2023 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3 Godzilla 3.73 locking axle
    Andersen Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same issue, I reached out to Dometic and this was their response below......Mine has been working fine ever since. Big thing here is that it is a "touch' not "push" thermostat. Hope this helps. Also found that when running the bedroom AC unit and closing the bedroom door the unit short cycles.
    Sorry you are experiencing this issue. That thermostat is designed to be a touch thermostat. Many customers are pushing the buttons. If you remove the cover and look under the face plate, you will see three foam pieces. Look to see if you have indentation in them. If so take the foam out and let them set out for approximately 20-30 minutes to allow them to expand. Place them back with those indentations on the bottom. Then do a reset on the thermostat while off by touching the mode and up button till you see - -. Touch the mode to exit out and again it should say AU for auto. Then set like a new thermostat. Just remember to touch not push.
    Hope this helps!
    Tom
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What make/model AC? There are very limited thermostats available for RV's - generally you have to go with one made by the manufacturer of your AC. Typical thermostats found at home stores generally are not configurable for RV's.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [email protected]

Forgot to add the email
    Tom
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By "mind of its own," what do you mean? What is it doing/not doing that you don't want? Often times - especially with the bedroom AC - the issue is with the baffle that separates the warm return side from the cold output side above the plastic trim in the ceiling. Those are known to not be sealed well during installation or fall down during travel. I replaced the thermostat without fixing the issue before discovering the baffle problem.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ac turn off three to five seconds later it turns back on
    Then off it's does this till I turn the thermostat down as low as it can go.
    Pat and Bill with Kaycee the Shar-Pei Hound and Abby the Shar-Pei Beagle in our hearts.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 295RL
    2023 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3 Godzilla 3.73 locking axle
    Andersen Hitch

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles01 View Post
    The Ac turn off three to five seconds later it turns back on
    Then off it's does this till I turn the thermostat down as low as it can go.
    Not uncommon. I would suggest pulling the inside plastic and checking to make sure the vertical metal baffle is securely up against the top of the space and sealed all the way around (the installers use foam tape). It may still cycle the fan on and off after the baffle is fixed. That is the result of "borderline" temp conditions. The AC can't decide whether to use low or high fan speed. We get around this in the evening by setting the fan to constant (either low or high) and setting it to cool at the desired temp. Both situations are due, in part, to the fact that there are temp sensors in both the thermostat and the AC unit on the roof.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015