User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Extended Trip

We just returned from our first extended trip in our Solitude S Series 2930RL. We spent 10 days in southern Colorado dry camping at a NFS campground. Our RV performed flawlessly. No issues whatsoever. Through the hills of the Texas hill country, northern New Mexico and Colorado, our F250 had plenty of power. A couple of surprises, we used almost all of a 30# LP tank, mostly running the fridge and a minor amount of cooking inside. Also, our 100 watt solar panel (Renology Starter Kit) could not keep up with the residual power demands of the RV. Perhaps a combination of the limited direct sunlight and the greater demands of the RV. Fortunately, I brought our generator and was able to keep the batteries charged.

Our previous RV was a 25' Coachmen bumper pull. My wife and I absolutely love our Solitude.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colorado 2019 08.jpg  
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a successful trip. Glad the 2930 performed good for you.
    The 2930 almost had us but under close looking it had less storage than we needed.

I was surprised you went through a whole tank of propane on just the fridge. My guess is you had the water heater on gas too, or you like cold showers lol.
    Is your solar panel mounted? We keep ours portable (same panel as you) and move it around to the sun when we're in the shade and have made it 10 days easy but we don't power tvs or anything beyond lights and maybe the occasional furnace.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Sounds like a successful trip. Glad the 2930 performed good for you.
    The 2930 almost had us but under close looking it had less storage than we needed.

I was surprised you went through a whole tank of propane on just the fridge. My guess is you had the water heater on gas too, or you like cold showers lol.
    Is your solar panel mounted? We keep ours portable (same panel as you) and move it around to the sun when we're in the shade and have made it 10 days easy but we don't power tvs or anything beyond lights and maybe the occasional furnace.
    You are correct. Forgot about the water heater. The solar panel is portable so I tried to keep it in the sun but there were a lot of cloudy days. It just couldn't keep up.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we are in Quartzsite a 30# tank lasts us about 5 days. This year we used the furnace most mornings through Feb. Those big fridges use a lot of propane.

What kills me is when Pam starts a meal she goes the the fridge and opens both sides wide open and then puts her hand on her chin like she's trying to decide what to make. I just sit there cringing think about the beer getting warm. I do my best to hold my tongue knowing cold cereal just doesn't compare to bacon and eggs.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Bradnailer on your great trip!
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    When we are in Quartzsite a 30# tank lasts us about 5 days. This year we used the furnace most mornings through Feb. Those big fridges use a lot of propane.

What kills me is when Pam starts a meal she goes the the fridge and opens both sides wide open and then puts her hand on her chin like she's trying to decide what to make. I just sit there cringing think about the beer getting warm. I do my best to hold my tongue knowing cold cereal just doesn't compare to bacon and eggs.

Red
    Your a wise man. After having said something when I shouldn't have I have gotten that, well make something yourself then more than once before. Some people just never learn.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 07-17-2019 at 09:14 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradnailer View Post
    We just returned from our first extended trip in our Solitude S Series 2930RL. We spent 10 days in southern Colorado dry camping at a NFS campground. Our RV performed flawlessly. No issues whatsoever. Through the hills of the Texas hill country, northern New Mexico and Colorado, our F250 had plenty of power. A couple of surprises, we used almost all of a 30# LP tank, mostly running the fridge and a minor amount of cooking inside. Also, our 100 watt solar panel (Renology Starter Kit) could not keep up with the residual power demands of the RV. Perhaps a combination of the limited direct sunlight and the greater demands of the RV. Fortunately, I brought our generator and was able to keep the batteries charged.

Our previous RV was a 25' Coachmen bumper pull. My wife and I absolutely love our Solitude.
    Congrats on a great trip. Did you add battery power to the rig beyond what came with it? How do you like the window in the nose. Does the shade block the light so you don't have to wake up at the crack o' dawn? The pass through seems a bit small on this model. Did you have plenty of storage? Reason for all these question?

I really like the 2930 and am considering making the pitch to my CFO, thereby beating a hasty retreat!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Congrats on a great trip. Did you add battery power to the rig beyond what came with it? How do you like the window in the nose. Does the shade block the light so you don't have to wake up at the crack o' dawn? The pass through seems a bit small on this model. Did you have plenty of storage? Reason for all these question?

I really like the 2930 and am considering making the pitch to my CFO, thereby beating a hasty retreat!
    The RV came with two batteries. Part of my problem is that my solar panel might not be working properly. It did however pretty much keep the batteries charged on our previous RV, a 25' Coachmen bumper pull. When we are in Colorado, we are seldom in the trailer as we spend most time outside. The only battery drains beside the monitors would have been the water pump for washing dishes and four people showering and keeping the fridge fired up while on propane. Before next year's trip, I will check the solar panel a little more thoroughly.

We absolutely love the window on the front. We never pulled the shade because laying in bed, we could look up and see a sky full of stars, something we don't get to see much at home since we live near San Antonio. Can't say about the morning light being a problem as I'm an early riser and get up before sun up every day.

The pass through is so much bigger than our previously RV, we had plenty of room. We haven't loaded much more in the storage compartments than we had in our other RV which is hook up stuff like electric cords, hoses, a small tub of parts and such, a gas grill and two burner stove, a couple of lawn chairs, a tub of general camping stuff and emergency things like a floor jack and an impact wrench. From what I've read, the pass through is smaller than other RV's but it is plenty big for us.

We were looking at a 303 and a 2930. What drove us to the 2930 was the extra width, the ceiling height, the larger bathroom and shower, larger island and more bedroom storage.

We absolutely love the RV.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]