Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Water Leak

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water Leak

Has anyone had rain leak through the fridge vent on the side of their trailer? If so, how did you fix the problem? The water seems to be coming through the vent on the back side of the fridge and running along the plywood under the fridge and leaking down the front side of the fridge onto the floor. It has happened twice, both during storms with heavy rain.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we have had the occasional heavy rain leak they are not normal and of such short duration that they do not have long term damage.

But

there's always a but

are you sure it's the vents leaking during a storm?

Our refrigerator drain pan tube came loose and we started getting water on the floor, once I got it sealed back up no more water.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m sure its only during a storm with a driving rain. We leave our fridge on all summer and it has only happened twice in two years, both times after a storm with about 1 cup of water on the floor.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never rain but there is a condensation drain hose back there and that can leak a good bit of water. We used to stick it through the hole on the vent so it ran outside because the pan would overfill and leak down the plywood. Happened once in a blue moon when the fridge was experiencing humidity
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have an Imagine 2650RK and have experienced what we assume is water getting in through the refrigerator vents. What is confusing is that the water seems to come from directly under the refrigerator and collects in the so-called "pet drawer". This drawer is now moldy and the slide rail is rusted. It is not dripping or draining from the open space behind the refrigerator (which would collect on the carpet behind the drawer which is vacant space).
    First time we noticed this it was suggested to check that the drain hose was draining outside the vent. It was not (QA miss?) so we corrected that issue. This however did not solve the problem. While on a recent outing, we opened the drawer and the contents and drawer were wet and moldy. Where is this coming from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have an Imagine 2600rb and noticed the plywood under the fridge was damp with one dark spot also. This is above the pet drawer so we might not have gotten as much as the previous poster. I checked the outside compartment and no water is coming out the condensation tube but it seems to be connected. There is some water in the outside compartment but not alot. I cannot tell if this is water is leaking in or from the fridge.
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just confirmed that the water is coming from rain. Slide in, refrigerator not running, sitting in driveway and after a few heavy rain storms moved through, went into the camper and found a puddle of water running across the floor. We did not have the "pet" drawer in place so stuck my hand in the opening and the carpet was soaked. Went outside and took the vent covers off and evidence of water splashing in. Still don't have exact entry point for water to get into the "pet" drawer and carpet, assume it just runs along the back edge of fridge and running down.

I am in the process of adding 2 extra fans on the top vent to pull hot air out so I will redo the shoddy design and work on the plywood compartment built behind the fridge and seal it off Will need to build a dam around the back of the fridge. There is no reason for that much water to make it that far into the camper.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this issue with my last trailer. It was not a GD. The outside vent trim was not installed correctly and the gap between the frame and door panel was excessive. The frame, door and plywood base was replaced under warranty. Check that this fit is good to make sure that is not the leaking spot.

Make sure that the sealant and lip between the vent frame and plywood base is sloped out for drainage. Ours was not initially this way letting water run further in.
    2019 Chevy 3500 CC SRW Duramax
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had this leaking problem off and on ever since I bought my new 2250RK last November. It just struck again yesterday following a hard-driving rainstorm. After the first time it happened I discovered that the frame of the lower vent cover was not properly caulked/sealed where it contacted the fiberglass skin - there were big gaps in the sealant. Came that way from the factory. So I put a fresh bead of silicone all the way around the lower and upper vent frames, just to be sure. That helped, but I have continued to get a small amount of water in the pet drawer cavity below the fridge whenever we have a hard-driving heavy rain.

So I've come up with a theory. Here is a close-up pic of one of the "slots" on my vent: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fridge vent.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	22800 My theory is that, when a lot of heavy rain falls at an angle toward the face of the vent, it hits the flat surface on the bottom of the slot and some of the water splashes up through the open vent at the top of the slot, trickling down inside and into the pet drawer below. Whenever we get a sustained heavy rain falling at an angle toward the vent, I can easily see how enough water can get in to form a nice-sized puddle in the drawer and/or on the floor.

It seems to me that a simple angled rain guard attached above each vent slot would prevent this from happening. Here's a simplistic drawing I made to illustrate. Side view of the vent face, dotted line roughly traces the recessed slot: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fridge vent rain guard.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	22802 The angled portion of the guard would protrude out and extend down to the bottom of the slot, thereby keeping the rain from hitting the bottom surface of the slot while still allowing venting of the fridge.

I would love to get some feedback on this. Do you agree/disagree with my theory? Does this look like a good possible solution? Does anyone know of something like this already on the market, or would I need to buy something close to it at a hardware store and fabricate it myself?

Thanks,
    Jon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2016 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Hemi Crew Cab Short Box 3.92
    Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch