User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think you won't find these issues, or worse, in a used TT in any other brand, you're wrong. These should've been found in the PDI, since they're such major issues. I hate hearing stories like this and sorry you're dealing with this, but this doesn't sound like a brand issue. This sounds like a previous owner neglect issue.
    2019 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L
    2017 Polaris RZR 1000XP
    Next - Momentum? ????

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry you're having the issues but try going to the GM of the dealership or the Owner if you can get to him. Be nice and respectful and explain you're new to RVing and should have been more diligent. You will get more help from this approach than being ugly. It's OK to be frustrated but not nasty. Personally I don't believe in internet bashing, most people take it for what it is, someone didn't get their way. The way you brought it up reflects frustration and asks for help in the matter.

If you call GDRV customer service be pleasant and up front about the age and condition of the unit. Have the VIN# of the rig handy. Ask them for suggestions on how to fix the water leaks. You never know, you may get more help than you ever imagined.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FiverNurse View Post
    the dealer has 4.5 stars. I really thought it was a good place to buy from, the reviews are great.
    Just a note - dealers, once they've made the sale, really are not the ones who take pride in their service. They're into RVs to make a sale, not do service. An RV dealer isn't married to any one product, like a car dealership, where pride in product is a good thing. Service departments at dealers (RV) are understaffed and have too much work to do. Yes, RVs are inherently prone to needing repairs on SOMETHING...

We've found that an independent RV repair service is better.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry for all your problems. The selling dealer should have known that there were problems, and fixed them prior to selling such a late model trailer.

If the leaks were fixed, are you sure the floor needs replaced completely?
    Sure there may be an air conditioning problem, but the easiest fix would be a completely new unit and one hour labor--$1,000.
    And why is there a leak under the kitchen sink? Is it gray water piping or the faucet? A faucet is less than $100. Might not be much.

You really should have details on what's exactly wrong and how expensive to fix it. And the selling dealer should come up with a compromise as he sold you a defective trailer. If he's not willing to help, pay to have an attorney write him a "hot letter."

Unfortunately, the government's regulations brought about by unscrupulous car dealers and their labels "Buy As Is" has also bled over into the RV business. Even if you had bought the dealer's ESP, what ESP company would warrant a unit sold that needed major repairs to begin with? They wouldn't.

Your nearest Grand Design dealer is relatively new--in Cookeville. Knoxville and Ringgold, GA have good GD dealers also.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience, dealers don’t even give a look at what is being traded in. The low ball trade in value is generally so low that its comparable to a MSRP discount given to a cash-no trade buyer. So in essence the trade in RV is of no consequence to a dealer. So what happens is that its dragged to the rear of the dealership where no one looks at it, assess its condition or preforms any maintenance on the rig. Only after a potential buyer makes an offer and points out to the dealer what needs fixing or attention, does the dealer attempt to make repairs. Otherwise, the rig just sits in the back slowly rotting into the soil.
    A used RV can be a great deal but one really needs to know what to look for. At least with a new rig, one does have a warranty. Used one’s, the buyer is left swinging as soon as the sales agreement is signed and payment made.
    Last edited by minnow101; 07-17-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry you are having issues and find yourself in this situation. As a retired hospital exec who hired a lot of traveling nurses, I will be rooting for you to get this fixed.

While I certainly don't think Grand Design is the best there is, their stuff is as decent as most in the price range. I don't think your issues are related to Grand Design but more related to a prior owner who either did not maintain the rig, didn't know how to fix stuff right, failed to hire good techs to fix stuff, or some combination of all three.

At this point I would suggest you find a good mobile RV tech and let them check out the rig and tell you what really needs to be done to fix things right. Then I would go to the dealership GM and politely tell him what you have found about the trailer. I would ask if he/she could help you out, especially if they did not offer a thorough PDI with you along where they demonstrated all systems and gave you instruction on how to use everything.

Your other best option would be to pay the mobile tech to fix what they can and advise you on who to get to fix what they cannot fix.

Best of luck with this and please let us know how it turns out for you.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a little unfair to say you had a bad introduction to Grand Design. You had a bad introduction to buying a used RV from a dealer. Any vehicle, be it RV, truck, car, motorhome, can have serious issues after 5 years of use with little or no maintenance. The finest car will have issues if ill maintained for a number of years. Slide seals and A/C units don't last forever. As mentioned above, an RV dealership is about moving RVs. Grand Design dealerships are independent from the company and can be unscrupulous. I know this from personal experience. If you're inexperienced with RVs sometimes it's a good idea to have a pro inspection, even on a new rig. It sounds as if your PDI was nonexistent.

Good suggestions above about assessing repairs and deciding what to do. Hopefully you got a good deal pricewise and repairs won't be too extensive. Grand Design uses the same basic construction practices as the rest of them. No special quality here. You can easily encounter issues such as these on any used trailer out there. IMHO, Grand Design's plusses are customer service, floorplans and maybe fit and finish inside. Otherwise the use the same Lippert components as most of the others in class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your woes with the used trailer. Many moons ago my wife decided to take a couple of travel nursing contracts, we bought a new trailer and ended up fulltiming off and on for several years doing that. I sold my business and was Mr Mom while the kids were little. Wouldn't trade a minute of it. We sold the trailer about 7 years ago and missed it ever since, even though we were only using it a few times a year by then.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really crappy situation. You try and do the right thing, save some money and buy used. Good advice, but then inherit problems from the previous owner that didn't take care of things. Try and get the intruding water taken care of, these units don't like water in them and the longer it stays the faster and more expensive the issues will be.

No reason to scrap the unit. I'll tell you one thing, new or not, they can all have problems. One seal out of place and you'll have water. Things are going to break, stuff is going to happen. I had Air conditioner issues in my stick and bricks for a few years until I got tired of dealing with the repairs and replaced the unit. My house doesn't go down the road at 70 mph either.

You have a unit, get the items fixed and you'll know how it all works and will be done so long as you keep up with the maintenance from that point forward. Wood is easy to replace, seals are easy to fix. Fix them and you can still have a good unit and still be well ahead of the cost of a new one.

If you think you can just buy a new one when the warranty is up on the old one when you have issues you're going to be an unhappy camper. Stuff breaks and you have have years of nothing, followed by a rash of issues. Just the nature of the beast. Good maintenance helps but if your air is going to go tits up, there ain't nothing you can do to stop it. Also learn your lesson, PDI is important to catch any issues because the dealer isn't going to want to help you nearly as fast once the sale is completed
    Last edited by Aridon; 07-17-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design factory has great customer support. However, you bought a used RV from a dealership. GD may try to help you or at least make a call to the dealership but....

I always recommend.....never buy an RV without getting it inspected by an RV Inspector that's certified by NRVIA (National RV Inspectors Association)....used or new, always get it inspected first!

https://nrvia.org/locate/
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast