User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FiverNurse View Post
    My girlfriend and I are travel nurses and decided to take the plunge into full time RV living. I did a tremendous amount of research and (as i assume everybody else here did) found that Grand Design was the best way to go for an RV. The GD community is strong, people have alot of good to say about their customer service and their RV quality. We bought a 2015 Reflection 337 RLS from a GD dealer in Ocala, FL. Within the first week of living in the unit we discovered that both slides in the living room leak and the floors have water damage and need replaced, the A/C in the livingroom throws a "compressor overload" code and shuts off, and we have a leak into the underbelly from the sink in the kitchen. The worst part is all of these issues were definitely there with the last owners. The A/C book has the code circled and notes where they spoke with repair men, the slides have some type of rubber tacked on where somebody did a shoddy job trying to fix the leak, and the underbelly sags and has a big piece of tape on it where somebody cut it to look at the leak. I called the dealer and they said they couldn't do anything because I didnt buy a warranty even though all the issues were there before they had it. I chose to go without the warranty because it was $5000 and I said i would never put that much maintenance into this unit, I would just sell it and get another if thats what needs to be done. Unfortunately it looks like i will have to replace the unit as i do not feel it would be a good investment to fix all these issues on this unit. I am disappointed because I really believed in GD and now im feeling like maybe a Montana or Cougar may be a better investment. Just not really sure what to do at this point.
    I'm truly sorry that your are having these issues. It sounds like you are new to RVing. How did you not see some of these problems when you picked it up. You always check the roof and underbelly. It sounds like there was limb damage to the roof maybe from a hurricane? I made it a rule not to buy used cars or used RVs from the south coast, texas, or east coast. Yes, you can save a lot of money buying used, especially RV's due to depreciation. But, you are usually buying someones elses problems. People lie, dealerships lie. You have to be careful. It might be time to get an attorney involved.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad experience with the GD RV

]

Sorry to hear about all your issues that sucks. You’re not alone if that’s any consolation. I bought the warranty with my brand new rig and it was probably a waste of money.

Bad experience with the GD RV I don’t know where people keep reading good things about these. I guess some people are satisfied. Mine has been a pain in the ******. I wish I could sell it. It’s lost so much value, worst investment I ever made and I know it’s not a good investment to begin with it’s a rolling depreciation factory. But it’s also just cost me a bunch of grief. The water heater last trip stopped working that was an easy fix I just put a new board in but more money. It’s had a propane leak since it was brand new they looked and couldn’t find the leak twice I thought I had it fixed but now I smell propane again. I have an extended warranty but they wanted me to drive it all the way to the dealership so they could diagnose the bad board so that I could bring it home and bring it back up there to put the board in. I bought the board online for 117 bucks which was a fraction of what I would lose taking it up there. Same thing happened with the TV the stereo twice. There is an area of de-lamination I haven’t been able to get the dealer to fix I’ve been waiting over a year for an appointment not completely because of the dealer some because of rain. It’s had at least 10 minor things wrong with it that had to be taken to the dealer including once the wheel completely fell off after the axles were serviced. I think I will take my lumps, not buy another RV at all again this is my fourth one by far the most troublesome. I had a cougar before I should’ve kept it. I wanted something a little more flashy. That one gave me no problems.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FiverNurse View Post
    My girlfriend and I are travel nurses and decided to take the plunge into full time RV living. I did a tremendous amount of research and (as i assume everybody else here did) found that Grand Design was the best way to go for an RV. The GD community is strong, people have alot of good to say about their customer service and their RV quality. We bought a 2015 Reflection 337 RLS from a GD dealer in Ocala, FL. Within the first week of living in the unit we discovered that both slides in the living room leak and the floors have water damage and need replaced, the A/C in the livingroom throws a "compressor overload" code and shuts off, and we have a leak into the underbelly from the sink in the kitchen. The worst part is all of these issues were definitely there with the last owners. The A/C book has the code circled and notes where they spoke with repair men, the slides have some type of rubber tacked on where somebody did a shoddy job trying to fix the leak, and the underbelly sags and has a big piece of tape on it where somebody cut it to look at the leak. I called the dealer and they said they couldn't do anything because I didnt buy a warranty even though all the issues were there before they had it. I chose to go without the warranty because it was $5000 and I said i would never put that much maintenance into this unit, I would just sell it and get another if thats what needs to be done. Unfortunately it looks like i will have to replace the unit as i do not feel it would be a good investment to fix all these issues on this unit. I am disappointed because I really believed in GD and now im feeling like maybe a Montana or Cougar may be a better investment. Just not really sure what to do at this point.
    Don't think it is necessarily a bad introduction to GD. It is a sure indication the previous owner did not do simple maintenance and unloaded the unit. Any full service dealership would have looked for issues you outlined as part of their trade process. Shame on both of them. Push the dealer and don't give up. Call your state consumer protection group. Be polite and get to the "big dog" who can finally help resolve your issues.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to say, but since it looks like FiverNurse just posted to complain and not truly looking for help. I hope they get it figured out as if they don't they will never be happy with whatever RV they purchase. By the way, that was great advice from everyone, and since I am retiring next year and looking for something to do I think that the advice from JCZhome about NRVIA might just give me an new place to hang my hat so to speak as I did a check and the nearest certified inspector to me is 3+ hours away. Thanks JCZhome

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plrboat17 View Post
    Sorry to say, but since it looks like FiverNurse just posted to complain and not truly looking for help. I hope they get it figured out as if they don't they will never be happy with whatever RV they purchase. By the way, that was great advice from everyone, and since I am retiring next year and looking for something to do I think that the advice from JCZhome about NRVIA might just give me an new place to hang my hat so to speak as I did a check and the nearest certified inspector to me is 3+ hours away. Thanks JCZhome
    Just a note on the NRVIA certified RV Inspectors (and mobil techs)....while many of them are still in a sticks & bricks, many are also full timers moving around the country. So while there may not be one close to you (or anybody looking for an RV Inspector) now, that could quickly change. NRVIA has a portal for those of us that are certified to update our location information. Since I'm not in business as a mobil tech. or RV Inspector, I do not maintain that for myself.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In most states, selling anything with known issues, or issues that should have been known to the seller, without revealing those issues to the buyer is ILLEGAL. Take them to court!!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a fellow GD owner who called them and asked to talk to the GM. He got immediate results. Sometimes taking a larger bite pays off.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the OP hasn't been back since the day of the first posting, oh well.

Weekend before last, SWMBO pretty much gutted the Thor and on Saturday I took it to the dealer for them to inspect. The LED lights under the awning had been out and recently the awning fabric was beginning to give up in a few places. Me being me, sourced an alternative light for the awning and also replaced the awning. Me go wee-wee while the salesman, money dude, and a grease monkey looked at it, then I came back out and answered their questions and offered to demonstrate everything for them. The whole thing took about 5 minutes and I walked them through the repairs made in Wakarusa.
    Thursday we get to completely move out of the Thor and into the Solitude!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234