User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion Solar Port Wiring Question..direct to battery or common terminals?

Quick question on the best way to have the solar port wired. The dealership/factory (?) wired our solar port to common +/- terminals along the frame rail shared with multiple connections to which the +/- battery terminals are wired too. Would it be better to wire the solar port directly to the +/- of the battery for charging? Cant find a direct answer to this on the search function but seems funky to have the solar input going sharing all the various connections on the common terminals.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would not make a difference either way. Everything attached runs at the same voltage for each terminal. Only consideration that comes to mind is whether the plus (red) side of the solar port goes directly to the battery or through the disconnect. The reason this would matter is it would either allow/disallow charging the batteries with solar while the rest of the trailer is disconnected. At 10 amps though (inline fuse limit) it is barely more than a trickle charger.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for clarification, the terminals are downstream of the battery disconnect and have electric jack etc on them so confident it will operate independent of disconnect switch. I did pull the solar jack and tried to pull some wires out of the wall and did not find the inline fuse that is supposed to be present so I will have to wire that in

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the connection differently. I mounted the controller in the front cargo bay. From there, I connected the controller to the batteries then used the plug to connect the external portable solar panel to the controller, wiring the plug to the panel portion of the controller.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran a 6ga ground line to the inside of the hookup center. My solar controller is tied to the hot side of the disconnect switch and the separate ground line. You do not want to disconnect the battery from the solar controller with a solar panel connected, it'll fry the controller.
    Side note - Since the ground line is there, I added a relay to the water pump to stop the annoying light flickering I was getting when the water pump was on.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do not want to disconnect the battery from the solar controller with a solar panel connected, it'll fry the controller.
    Mine is the opposite. You cannot disconnect the panel while under load. Mine is the portable type with alligator clips from the controller to the battery (you remove those first).

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears