User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had King for 7 yrs, loved it, just got new 337 with Winegard 360, HATE it, poor reception, can’t turn like king and fine tune

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R & B White View Post
    We had King for 7 yrs, loved it, just got new 337 with Winegard 360, HATE it, poor reception, can’t turn like king and fine tune
    Well that's bad news a day too late! I received the Air 360 from Amazon yesterday. There is VERY little to the antenna - a plastic plate thinly etched with antenna elements, a $5 FM antenna, and a couple of wee circuit boards inside the dome and on the booster.

It'll be a while before time to work on it and availability of the special lap sealant we're supposed to use on our TPO roofs all come together and I can install it. In the meantime I hope more encouragement will arrive from others who have the Air 360 and like it. It's only US$89 for most of you folks but landing it here in Canada cost CDN$162; not a throwaway.

If you replace yours with a King, please post here about doing it, with pictures.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update, the Winegard Air 360 has been installed to replace our damaged King Jack antenna. No pictures, sorry, but it was a very simple task.

The King Jack came off easily. I very easily scraped the sealant off the six screws holding it down and removed them. I was then able to gently and slowly push the antenna out of the rest of the sealant to remove it (careful though, that roof membrane is THIN!)

A single super-thin coax cable was the only connection to the antenna batwing that had been broken off - it was adapted to a regular RG-6 coax just beneath the roof. An extension of hard plastic rose out of the hole - the physical extension of the rotation knob inside the bedroom. I removed most of that and reinstalled the control assembly on the bedroom ceiling rather than deal with patching the holes there.

There was enough - just enough - RG-6 under the roof to attach to the Winegard's TV antenna connector. However the Winegard has a separate FM antenna inside the dome that requires a second RG-6 cable connection. Apparently the King Jack feeds both FM and TV through the single cable that GD installed to the antenna? After searching I didn't find a splitter that could combine the two antenna signals onto one cable (is there one?). I tried a "backwards" use of one of the available-everywhere two-way cable splitters but it eliminated most of the TV channels. So I simply ran a short cable from the FM antenna to the inside to be used later for FM somehow. We don't use the junk factory radio anyway so not a big deal for us. With only the TV antenna connected the radio does receive a few local stations, which it might do without any antenna.

By mounting the Winegard off-center from the original King Jack's hole I got pretty close to satisfying Winegard's instruction that the antenna be 18" from any obstacle (the bedroom air conditioner) and 18" from the wall of the trailer. I had to remove some of the lap sealant from the King Jack installation to place the antenna dome where it needed to be, but that was surprisingly easy after reading many posts here about how hard it is. Just rolling it slowly and gently with my thumbs I was able to peel it completely from the roof!

Finally, the antenna comes with its own wall plate and booster switch. It looked identical to the GD-installed booster system for the King Jack, but since its circuit board was screened with the Winegard logo I decided to install the new one anyway just in case there are differences.

So, does it work?! In our current location yes, pretty well. It pulls in 24 stations vs. the 27 stations the King Jack had given us. Some of them are not very stable, just like the King Jack, and it may be that the completely-missing three were unwatchably-weak ones on the King Jack (sorry, I didn't record or do this very scientifically). Most of the stations appear excellently on our GD-supplied TCL TV, at least as clear and sharp if not more so than we got from the King Jack.

Not having to fiddle with rotating the antenna to get good signals, and having one less thing on my roof to be taken off by low-hanging trees, are nice bonuses. So far, it looks like the misfortune of losing the King Jack to a branch somewhere may be good fortune after all.
    Last edited by boyscout; 07-29-2019 at 08:58 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I swapped out my King antenna for the Winegard Sensor IV with the Wingman attachment. It was quite easy. I used the existing hole.
    Hey Larry. I know it's an old post, but we just lost our King Jack today to a low hanging power line, and you did what I'm now planning to do. Replace the King Jack with a Winegard.

I'm not too sad about the decapitation, because I hated the King Jack. Lousy reception and poorly designed mechanics.

Your installation instruction info is great. Thank you.

What I'm missing in your write-up is commentary on the electrical. Can the existing King Jack signal booster that sends 12V to the antenna via the coax cable be reused as is for the Winegard? In other words, if I get the antenna mounted and just connect the existing OEM coax to the Winegard antenna coax, am I good to go?

Thanks.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    Can the existing King Jack signal booster that sends 12V to the antenna via the coax cable be reused as is for the Winegard? In other words, if I get the antenna mounted and just connect the existing OEM coax to the Winegard antenna coax, am I good to go? Thanks. -Steve
    Steve, the installation manual for the Sensar IV is linked below. On page 4 it describes installing the wall plate and attaching a separate 12V supply to it.

I replaced our King Jack with a Winegard 360 and replaced the King Jack's wall plate with the one provided with the Winegard antenna. There was no separate 12V supply required for either the King Jack plate or the new one.

https://d38mfwkkxtsm2m.cloudfront.ne...ts/2452013.pdf

Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case I have a wall plate (near my TV) that provides the 12v to the antenna when I selected "Antenna" on the wall plate. The 12v to the antenna comes from the center conductor of the coax up to the antenna. So no new 12v work was done to the best of my recollection.

The hardest part was getting the new Winegard plate inside the camper to cover all the holes from the King antenna plate.

I'm glad you like my write-up and that it was helpful.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    In my case I have a wall plate (near my TV) that provides the 12v to the antenna when I selected "Antenna" on the wall plate. The 12v to the antenna comes from the center conductor of the coax up to the antenna. So no new 12v work was done to the best of my recollection.

The hardest part was getting the new Winegard plate inside the camper to cover all the holes from the King antenna plate.

I'm glad you like my write-up and that it was helpful.
    Just got the King Jack replaced with a Winegard Sensar IV. I can confirm that all the Winegard needs is 12V running up the coax to its signal amplifier, then it delivers amplified TV signal back down -- works just like the King Jack did, and I was able to use the King Jack wall plate with no modifications. Just hooked the Sensar IV coax to the OEM coax that ran thru the ceiling and walls to the King Jack wall plate.

As you say, covering the King Jack gigantic gaping hole with the tiny Sensar IV antenna crank was kind of challenging. I glued plywood strips in the King Jack access hole and screwed the Sensar IV crank cover to the strips. Still have a couple of screw holes to hide -- somehow. Renee thinks we can get a light colored wood putty. Maybe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clamped.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	28336

Strips all glued in -- and that gaping hole:

Name:	strips.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	28337

Finished:

Name:	Finished2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	28338

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job. Glad it worked out for you. I still have a few holes but they are small and not noticeable unless you look up and dwell on them for while. So, for now, they are what they are.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12