User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the best antenna for over-the-air TV?

Apparently I hit a low branch on the weekend past and clipped the top part of our GD-supplied King antenna off. Part of the tree branch remains but it's not pulling in the signals the way the top of the antenna did.

GD is now installing the Winegard Air 360 on at least some trailers, a flattened-dome antenna that doesn't need to be rotated to find best signals. Tempting, but while there's been a little discussion in another thread about it feedback on whether it performs well has been limited. Do people who have them like them? Can they compare performance to the "batwing" King antenna?

What other options should I look at? I guess crank-up directional antennas will be better performers but I don't want to trim any more trees. Are there low-profile, low-attention options to be considered other than the Winegard Air 360 and the King "batwing"?

Thanks in advance.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the new 360 on mine. It picks up almost 3X the channels as the old batwing did in the same location.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    I have the new 360 on mine. It picks up almost 3X the channels as the old batwing did in the same location.
    Thanks Steve. Is it easy to swap for the remains of a King antenna? I'd probably just leave the indoor mechanical control for the batwing in place, but are the outside connections, etc., pretty straightforward?

I've seen a fair number of bad reviews and failure reports for the Rayzar Automatic and decided that wasn't worth the risk / cost. Any comment?

Anything else I should look at?

Thx.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed whatever antenna GD installed and put a Winegard Sensar IV batwing type antenna with the Wingman attachment. Much better reception as I can orient it to TV stations.

My other choice, on previous RV, was the Winegard Rayzar automatic amplified dome as it automatically located the strongest TV station towers.

I like the Sensor better as I can raise it above from the side of the AC unit where GD chose to put their antenna that couldn't "see" over that AC unit.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Thanks Steve. Is it easy to swap for the remains of a King antenna? I'd probably just leave the indoor mechanical control for the batwing in place, but are the outside connections, etc., pretty straightforward?

I've seen a fair number of bad reviews and failure reports for the Rayzar Automatic and decided that wasn't worth the risk / cost. Any comment?

Anything else I should look at?

Thx.
    I'm not sure, as my new 360 came attached to a new 2020 5th wheel.

It should be a fairly straight forward install. Have dome Dicor ready to seal the roof.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    GD is now installing the Winegard Air 360 on at least some trailers...
    Mark--if you swap out your King with the Winegard please post a follow up with any lessons learned. For about $90 this looks like a upgrade I'll consider.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Mark--if you swap out your King with the Winegard please post a follow up with any lessons learned. For about $90 this looks like a upgrade I'll consider. -Howard
    Ordered it earlier today, should have it in a week or so. I will report. Thanks to all for their comments/advice.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had Omni directional antenna on previous camper and switched out to King and got unbelievable better reception. The Winegard Air 360 is Omni directional and it will be interesting to see if you get as good of receptions as with directional King antenna. Keep us posted.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Antennas vary widely on how well they pick up signals due to variety of factors, primary being VHF vs UHF. Most antennas perform well for UHF and do fairly poorly on VHF. Especially Low VHF.

Our included King antenna is garbage IMO. The VHF performance is terrible and the UHF is fair, with a 30 mile or so range if the antenna is pointed the right direction.

You can try using www.tvfool.com and checking your location there for the frequencies, direction and distance used by stations in your particular area. I think the "best" antenna out there is something like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAZ6OG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

As it will pick up those VHF stations that are hard to get, where as even the indoor mohu type get UHF in many cases.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Mark--if you swap out your King with the Winegard please post a follow up with any lessons learned. For about $90 this looks like a upgrade I'll consider.

-Howard
    I swapped out my King antenna for the Winegard Sensor IV with the Wingman attachment. It was quite easy. I used the existing hole.

The hardest part is getting to the screws on the King antenna through all the self leveling sealant. I found the easiest way to do that was with a multi-tool. You can slice right into the sealant and, with a bit of caution, not dig into the rubber roof material.

Once the old antenna is off TEMPORARILY place the Winegard where you want it in the existing hole and GO INSIDE to see that the shaft will lineup correctly. That's important because the Winegard plate on the inside will cover the King antenna hole if you get the shaft aligned correctly.

Once you have things as you like simply screw down the new antenna on the roof. You can apply new self leveling sealant once you get the inside done.

ONE NOTE OF ADVICE - get the Winegard Exterior Roof Wedge; since my antenna was mounted on the side of the roof there was a small degree of slant; the wedge removes the slant and makes the antenna mast straight.

Follow the directions for the inside mounting pieces. You'll likely need to trim the shaft some to make the inside plate fit flush. Trim a bit less than you think you need and keep trimming until you have a nice fit. Don't forget to reconnect the coax and stuff the extra inside the ceiling cavity; and leave enough coming out on the roof side to allow the antenna to rotate 360 degrees.

You'll have to make new screw holes in the ceiling for the Winegard plate but it was no big deal. Because one of the holes in the Winegard had nothing to grip on the ceiling since the King has such a big hole vs. the Winegard, I put a small piece of wood on the backside of the ceiling panel for the screw to grip.

Sorry - no photos. It didn't seem photo worthy.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast