User Tag List

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the same site, this time wheels off the ground when leveled

We were on a site for months and after a trip returned the trailer to within inches of its previous position on both axes.

However this time the driver-side wheels are lifting a couple of inches off the ground during auto-leveling. The trailer ends up level, but the wheels were not off the ground the last time the trailer was in pretty much exactly the same spot.

While we were away we were on reasonably-level sites. Not aware of any power failure or klutzy move on my part that might have reset the auto-leveling brains.

I've tried dropping the trailer right to the ground by retracting all jacks, and also lowered one side manually, before auto-leveling but it stubbornly returns to the same wheels-up position regardless of starting point. The site itself is pretty close to level - maybe several inches lower on the drivers side but several inches at most. I could likely manually adjust to level with all wheels down, but I want the auto-leveler to do it as it did before.

Any thoughts about why it's different this time, and what to do about it?

Thanks in advance.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following this we have same problem in our 310.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When that would happen to us we would put blocks under the tires that were off the ground. We would lift that side of the trailer first then lower back down on the blocks with the one control in manual mode, easier than hooking up again. We would use one extra inch of block than you would think that way when we ran the auto level again those tires would not lift off the ground. We don't have auto level now so we have to level side to side before we disconnect.
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pawsitivedivetraining View Post
    When that would happen to us we would put blocks under the tires that were off the ground. We would lift that side of the trailer first then lower back down on the blocks with the one control in manual mode, easier than hooking up again. We would use one extra inch of block than you would think that way when we ran the auto level again those tires would not lift off the ground. We don't have auto level now so we have to level side to side before we disconnect.
    The idea is to put boards under the wheels before u auto level. U r supposed to be somewhat level before u hit auto level. U will probably need xtra blocking under your jacks on the same side
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clanker24 View Post
    The idea is to put boards under the wheels before u auto level. U r supposed to be somewhat level before u hit auto level. U will probably need xtra blocking under your jacks on the same side
    Yes, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Ground conditions change, or it rains and one side sinks in the ground some even with large pads under levelers and you have to readjust while parked. Or you think you are fairly level before you hit the auto level function and it turns out your tires come off the ground. Rather than hooking back to the TV its easier to just put blocks under the tires so they aren't off the ground, and you would not need extra blocks under jacks on the same side. You are just filling the gap that the jacks originally made. Either way sometimes you have to mess around a little more to get your trailer level.
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, In regards to your question, I really have no idea why it would be different from one time to another. Its obviously lifting the passenger side farther than before resulting in the drivers side off the ground. Why is a mystery to me, Maybe try to re-calibrate the system, I believe there is a procedure in the manual on how to do that.

Now, I personally have never worried about it. If the tires come off then so be it. I know they do not recommend it IMO its just lawyer speak. Now if I'm 6" off the ground then well I'm moving. An inch or two doesn't bother me. When the system used in the Solitudes first came out, the literature actually pointed out an advantage of it was using it to change a flat tire. Well that disappeared, I guess some came up with a scenario that they could get sued if some set of circumstances came about and they had issues. Idiot proofing would be my guess.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW