Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog ramp

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I literally (yesterday) ordered a 5-step Pet Loader. It arrives Tues, so I cannot report out yet, but I have high confidence it will work to help us load our 65-pounders into our F350.
    Beverlee Steinberg (the Navigator) for Chad Alexander (the Pilot) and Beverlee Steinberg
    2017 Solitude 384gk
    2017 Ford F350 Dually
    Rocky (His Royal Highness Handsomer Handsomest, aka "My Liege" - just ask him) and Enzo (the crazy Spinone/GoPro Cinematographer)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used a telescopic ramp with a German Shepherd that had arthritis and mobility issues getting in and out of our Tahoe. It worked really well - although it did require being at an angle to the rear door. The ramp had what was supposed to be a non-slip covering however it was very abrasive (think fairly coarse sandpaper). I ended up covering it with indoor/outdoor carpet and it worked a LOT better.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately our beloved Harper will probably not be able to make it. She has gotten worse and several visits and talks with our vet, we will probably be putting her down. We are doing everything to try and make her comfortable but her quality of life is deteriorating. She did use the ramp to get in the back of the Mini Cooper to one of her vet visits and it did work pretty good. Thank you for all of the replies. I'll keep you posted on Harper, Boomer.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLuza2786 View Post
    We used a telescopic ramp with a German Shepherd that had arthritis and mobility issues getting in and out of our Tahoe. It worked really well - although it did require being at an angle to the rear door. The ramp had what was supposed to be a non-slip covering however it was very abrasive (think fairly coarse sandpaper). I ended up covering it with indoor/outdoor carpet and it worked a LOT better.
    I’ve trained my dog (German Shepherd) to climb with his front paws up to the top surface. With his rear feet still on the ground I lift him up. He pulls up while I lift. I put my right hand under his right rear and my left under his belly. He’s only three and totally capable of jumping but dogs risk ACL tears by jumping or hopping up like that. More dogs get ACL tears by hopping up into trucks than anything else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky for us we have pups weighing 10-20 lbs so lift them into the truck. Have a folding ramp that we no longer use as it is 17" wide and put me into the slide out ripping my arm open. Made a 12" aluminum/plywood ramp 7' long that stores in cargo compartment. Both are 13. Sorry for you with pups about to cross the bridge. We had 4 cross over last year.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer58 View Post
    Unfortunately our beloved Harper will probably not be able to make it. She has gotten worse and several visits and talks with our vet, we will probably be putting her down. We are doing everything to try and make her comfortable but her quality of life is deteriorating. She did use the ramp to get in the back of the Mini Cooper to one of her vet visits and it did work pretty good. Thank you for all of the replies. I'll keep you posted on Harper, Boomer.
    So Sorry to hear that your pup isn't doing good.
    I stopped by to post a note that our dog can't use the Solvit ramp right now because the rug on it doesn't enough traction to get up into the truck or traier. We have to use the folding PetStep ramp with the raised ridges. Our Aussie just got diagnosed with Degenerative Myelopathy and he has less control of his hind legs than he used to, so he slides down on the rug of the Solvit.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately we have some sad news that our Harper passed away yesterday afternoon. We actually stopped by the Vets office yesterday to talk with him again about her and when we got home she was much worse. We called him and decided to bring her right in. She was a great traveler and loved being with us. I guess with all of the stress we have been going through, the house sale, shoulder surgery, getting rid of everything in the house, going full time, she was actually the biggest concern but she made the decision for us. We did use the ramp to get her in to the car for her final ride. We tried to do everything for her so she would be comfortable. I hope my tears don't short out my keyboard, Boomer.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear of Harper's passing. I feel your loss.
    Last edited by gbkims; 08-06-2019 at 07:29 PM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry you had to make that difficult decision, we feel for you. Harper gave you many happy memories, take those with you every day.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so sorry to read this, Boomer. Our "boys" are with us every day even though they've gone on ahead. Even in their absence they continue to give just as they did in life. Pets are such a gift.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast