User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gas can for generator

When we leave here to go full time in a couple months, we will be bringing our Champion generator. I have an older 5 gallon gas can (one that actually works) but it is not a safety can. I bought one a couple of years ago that spilled more gas than would go in the lawn mower and that was sent to the trash. I'll carry this in the bed of the truck and want something that will be safe for traveling. We don't anticipate using it much but it will be there if needed. Thanks.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://deutscheoptik.com/10-Liter-Jerry-Can.html They have 20L (5gal) cans too but this size doesn't hurt your back and is about 1 tank of gas for our champion generator. These seal tight (gas lasts longer and you can't smell it) and don't vent or spill, no goofy safety devices. Don't forget to buy a nozzle too. A little expensive, yeah, but this is an investment that will last a lifetime.
    Last edited by DarthMuffin; 07-17-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. The description is a little confusing as it says it is powder coated with fuel and solvent resistant paint but then says " All of our cans are stamped not for fuel use". Not sure what they mean but it looks like a real nice can that would work fine. I did see some Justrite safety cans on Amazon that will probably work good. Thanks again for replying.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer58 View Post
    Thanks for the info. The description is a little confusing as it says it is powder coated with fuel and solvent resistant paint but then says " All of our cans are stamped not for fuel use". Not sure what they mean but it looks like a real nice can that would work fine. I did see some Justrite safety cans on Amazon that will probably work good. Thanks again for replying.
    Sounds to me like the cans are not CARB compliant and they are trying to CYA...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this one, 2.5 gal is plenty big for me, I use it when my solar gets no sun.

https://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1405...gateway&sr=8-4
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopperud View Post
    I use this one, 2.5 gal is plenty big for me, I use it when my solar gets no sun.

https://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1405...gateway&sr=8-4
    I have several fuel cans like this. They work great.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbeard View Post
    I have several fuel cans like this. They work great.
    Best can I have ever used. It has no vent, however, so it will expand in the heat or suck in when cooling. The one I use for my chain saw sits out in the sun sometimes and does this, so I added a tiny vent hole by means of a tubeless tire valve that does not seal up completely, but does not leak fuel either. Not legal maybe but better than having the tank develop a crack from the stresses imposed by heating and cooling.
    2014 303 RLS
    2017 F450, Air suspension, Aluminum tow body, B&W hitch
    3rd family member - Labradoodle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I haul fuel I use one of these. These are a bit pricy but they also don't vent (until spring pressure is reached but it's a high. I've never seen one vent even in hot sun in AZ ) or spill. They have a yellow funnel that hooks on and seals easily, allowing you to see what you are pouring and with the valve you can throttle the flow out as your device tank gets close to full.

Been using these a long time in the USAF and own several for various fuel servicings around the property. No issues, and no cumbersome CARB bravo sierra to worry about. My tanks don't blow up like ballons and spill or have cumbersome vent type valves that are a PITA to use and spill.

I picked this site for the picture showing you the valve detail. Many pics of them on search eng with the yellow funnel.
    https://www.grainger.com/product/2W4...g!309118924260!
    2019 Reflection 367BHS with a few mods
    2018 F350 6.7 SRWD CCSB
    1971 F250 Highboy with lots & lots of mods...

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a safety can. I spent a few years fighting fires when I was young and I now install RV fire suppression in RVs and trucks. This is the can that has spent the past 2 1/2 yrs. in the back of my truck.....and the past two weeks in triple digit temps..... https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
    Best can I have ever used. It has no vent, however, so it will expand in the heat or suck in when cooling. The one I use for my chain saw sits out in the sun sometimes and does this, so I added a tiny vent hole by means of a tubeless tire valve that does not seal up completely, but does not leak fuel either. Not legal maybe but better than having the tank develop a crack from the stresses imposed by heating and cooling.
    You better not go to California, CARB will be looking for you lol. I have a simple 5 gallon can (plastic) that I use for the mower and snowblower but do not want it riding in the back of the truck while going cross country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast