Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picking up new Reflection

Picking up our new Reflection 311 BHS on Friday. Purchased in Knoxville. Sold the old Forest River travel trailer. Will spend a couple of days at a park near the dealer to check out how every thing works, then back to Georgia. Got a trip to the north east planned for September?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid701 View Post
    Picking up our new Reflection 311 BHS on Friday. Purchased in Knoxville. Sold the old Forest River travel trailer. Will spend a couple of days at a park near the dealer to check out how every thing works, then back to Georgia. Got a trip to the north east planned for September?
    Be sure to do a complete PDI. Take your time.

Have a good trip.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, and congratulations Squid701!

As Livinthelife stated, take your time on the PDI. If you need PDI sheets, you can find them in the “reference” section. If you can’t access that because you’re not a site sponsor yet, look up RV Pre-Delivery Inspection sheets on the internet, and you should locate some. If you find any, and I mean ANY issues (which you should)with the new unit, be sure to have them corrected before you accept the RV. Otherwise it will likely take a lengthy time for the dealership to “fit you in”. If you already know this stuff, then disregard.

Congratulations again!
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! I love mine now that the "new rig problems" seem to be worked out.

That said, during the PDI, crawl under and make sure the sewer hose holder (if equipped) is attached properly with bolts through each attachment hole. Mine fell off on the way to NC. Seems Jake or Amos missed a bolt or two Also, check the USB outlets to be sure they actually work. The ones in my bedroom don't, but that's not going to me upset because I realized I won't sleep while charging my iphone on anything that's not on a surge protector anyway. Look very closely at the silicone they use to seal things like the awning rails against your sidewall. Also, make sure the footrests on those Thomas Payne recliners function without any sticking points on the cable and close flawlessly--it may be a good idea to lay down and look specifically at the footrest pull cables when they're out to make sure neither are kinked or bent sharply. If it has a sharp bend or kink insist on cable replacement. Over time this would snap your cable as it did mine. I mention these to avoid specific problems I've had. Don't get me wrong, the fit and finish is actually decent with mine.

If you have room to store it at home, my advice would be to plug it in and leave the water heater and fridge run basically to work out the "new rig problems" that plague Atwood and Dometic circuit boards. It's a good idea to use the hot water a few times and then use the fast recovery option--just don't try it for the first time when you're staying in it unless you like really cold showers. It's also a good idea to unplug the rig for a day to force the fridge to run on propane, then plug it back in (do this one a couple times). You may want to run the furnace a few times as well to make sure it's burned off and doesn't fail--although my water heater and fridge gave me some problems the furnace functioned flawlessly all winter. Anyway, these might help you to ensure any failures that will occur do so under the 1 year Grand Design bumper to bumper warranty.

You want any failures that do occur to do so under the Grand Design warranty. GD is great to deal with. Dometic screwed me around for quite a bit until I got Gentry with GD involved.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased my 323BHS from the Knoxville dealer when it was privately owned Tennessee RV. They're one of the really exceptional dealerships. I would assume that Lazy Days purchased them and kept the same shop and basic organization. I've not heard anything but good about this dealership over the years.

You're smart staying around Pigeon Forge for a few days so any problems can be immediately addressed. When you return to Georgia, you might want to keep on camping weekends to get used to your systems and setting up and taking down your unit. You don't want any surprises when you head "up east."

Now you've got to figure out how to route yourself home without having to go straight over the Smokies. I would suggest taking I-40 south rather than the mountain roads or going through Knoxville, Chattanooga and Atlanta.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I do not own a Grand Design but looking to buy one. We are full time and travel. This year I have been to dealers in the south looking at fifth wheels. After looking at GD trailers on lots and a tour of the factory I am imprssed with GD construction quality. My recommendation is to get on the roof and look for cracks in the caulk around any roof penetrations. I was on top of about 20 units and several of them had cracks in the caulk. Some of the cracks looked large enough to allow water in. I am sure they were ok when they left the factory but by the time they got to the dealer the caulk had cracked. Another thing to look for is to make sure all the hatches seal and no water damage. I opened one outside kitchen hatch and smelled mold and found mold growing along the front edge of the compartment. Either the hatch leaked or may have been left open in a rain storm. From the manufacturer date the trailer was a year old so it had been sitting someplace for a year. Since you are buying in Knoxville where it has been raining a lot you should check for cracked caulk and mold.

Jamie