User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very dangerous TV situation

How was this overlooked? Bruce purchased a used vehicle (below, in sig) in spring, 2017. It was a good deal, because it only had 40k miles on it. He’s good about keeping up the maintenance schedule, and the dealership’s service dept is fast and courteous. At the end of Feb., it was in for routine service, and when we drove out of the lot, we did a head-smack because we realized NYS vehicle safety inspection was due in March. At the appointment we subsequently scheduled, we asked them to change the transmission fluid, indicating that we’d be picking up the trailer next month and hauling it around all summer. We also asked them to rotate the new tires we put on it in November (alignment done at that time).

Phone call from service indicated that front brake pads were still good, but rotors needed turning. Passed inspection, and when we drove away, transmission seemed to be shifting more smoothly. Took two camping trips < 50 miles hauling the TT, 3 fishing outings hauling a 16’ aluminum boat and trailer and some short trips around town since then.

Fast forward to yesterday, we are in NH, 365 miles away, the driving split over two days. We begin to hear a sound-thumping and grinding when we turn (TT is parked, thank goodness). Pull into local repair shop and a couple of mechanics immediately came out of a bay (they HEARD us pull in). Turns out, passenger side bearing assembly is shot, rotor and brake fluid hose fully deteriorated. The whole wheel was at risk of flying off! So, we’re looking at a big, expensive job here: pads, rotors, bearings, for both front sides.

Moral of the story, maybe the state inspection process is not enough to ensure everything is ready for your towing season (NY only requires they remove ONE wheel, and that wheel is recorded on the report sent to DMV). Even if it cost more, we probably should have specified that they check all the brakes and hubs while they were rotating the tires.

And I’m happy to report that Jay Sands, of JF Sands Automotive Repair, Hampton, NH, is the hero of the day. In addition to being a stand-up business owner, he’s an auto racer-oval track! Lots of racing pics in the office, and his car was getting some repairs on a lift while we were there. He kindly dropped us off at the campground when we couldn’t get a taxi back.
    N
    Last edited by Houndbb; 07-18-2019 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Yesterday, not today. Too early for anything today
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear this happened. Glad you found a good repair place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay &amp; Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We so seldom experience wheel bearing failures today that it's a maintenance item that's out of sight, out of mind. Sorry you had to go through it. And yes a bad bearing can affect the brakes. Brake repairs also need to be done in tandem--both sides. Glad you found a good shop to do the work.

But don't think that brake repairs is really a big deal, because it's not. And the parts are not even that expensive--see RockAuto.com. I long ago learned to do my own brake repairs, and actually enjoy getting my hands dirty from time to time.

A couple of years ago, my diesel pickup brakes were not working as well as they should have. Come to find out that diesels don't have any vacuum to operate the power brakes, and the "power" in their brakes comes through the power steering pump and its fluid. I changed the power steering fluid and bled the Bendix HydroBoost system, and it was like I'd installed a complete new set of brakes. When towing trailers, it's so important to keep the brakes and shock absorbers at 100% condition.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NYS inspection says the brakes pass if they're not metal on metal.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful update. Truck is done, and functioning fine. Repair done in record time, and he said these issues should have been noticed about 10k miles ago, especially given the number of times the wheels have been off it! Sands Automotive are happily enjoying donuts and a box of joe on us.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pads are good, but rotors need turning? I call BS. I think your problem is your mechanic.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear it all worked out!!! Now you can safely enjoy the rest of your trip.
    Eric
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad everything worked out. Wonder if Jay is a distant cousin. My Sands family settled near Jordan in 1816.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay &amp; Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    NYS inspection says the brakes pass if they're not metal on metal.
    And YET, they won’t pass inspection if there’s the teeniest little hiccup with the emission control system that happens to keep triggering the check engine light.
    N
    (Read for that-forgot to crank the gas cap 3 clicks)
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Pads are good, but rotors need turning? I call BS. I think your problem is your mechanic.
    Yes, that was sort of my point. We figure those wheels were off 5x or so since last November, and NO ONE noticed or said ANYTHING?
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast