User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you deal with the mail when on extended trips?

How FT'ers handle mail? We will be in Florida for January, 2015. The post ofc clerk told us we can only stop the mail for 2 weeks, then they have to deliver it for 2-3 days. Then we can submit another hold. Doing mail forwarding or change of addr for 30 days seems awkward as we would be arriving in FL and then have to do a stop and have the mail come back home. What do you do? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're not full timers but we were away from home for two months this summer. We had our mail temporarily forwarded to a company that would hold it until we wanted it, shred it if we didn't want it or open an envelope and scan the contents and sent the scan to our email address. None of the mail was opened unless we requested it be opened & scanned.

Now that we're home we're waiting to make sure the company has received all of our forwarded mail before I ask them to send what we want back to us and destroy what we don't want. If anyone is interested here's a link to the company. https://www.mailboxforwarding.com

Hope this helps!

Kathy
    Jim and Kathy Marker - Ramona, Ca.
    2014 Solitude 369RL #1277 (AKA - "Tudee")
    2014 3500 Ram Laramie HD Dually Crew Cab 4x4 -6.7 Cummins with Aisin Tranny (AKA - "Big Foot")
    50 gal Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
    Curt Q24 Hitch
    2002 2500 Chevy LB HD Duramax Crew Cab- Retired
    EEZRV TPMS- Tire Pressure Monitoring System

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...tesMap_1_1.gif
    http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...ovincesMap.gif

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go online to USPS, hold mail, and complete a request. They held mine for 4 weeks this past summer.

Robert
    Robert & Sheila, Amarillo, TX
    2013 F250 short bed crew cab, diesel, 4X4, Firestone air bags
    2014 Reflection 337, Michelin XPS Ribs, Anderson Ultimate Fifth wheel hitch

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We were on the road for three months this summer. We paid a neighbor $15 per week to pick it up daily and place it in a very large bin in our locked storage shed. We had given him a key to access the shed, but not the house. Once every 3-4 weeks, our son came by the house and transferred the mail from the storage shed to the house. We pay all of our bills on line, so we weren't worried about anything being time sensitive. We also cancelled several magazine subscriptions. When we got back in September, the stack of mail was huge! But there was not one important item of mail in the whole pile! I wish we could completely opt out of mail delivery. It's usefullness has come and gone.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all; Navigator, thanks for the link - we'll check it out. cgoodnight - that's two weeks more than the clerk said they would, so it's a possiblity. Tucson, that's also a possiblity as we have family living nearby.

Midfla
    Hi, I am a retired carrier for USPS. The info the clerk gave you is wrong, you may hold your mail for a maximum of 30 days! I have seen people put their mail on hold for the 30 days and then when it gets close to the end, they put in a second request with overlapping dates. Caution the policy is 30 days max and if you get a lot of mail and/or the clerk is real stickler you may risk getting the mail relturned to sender if you do cheat! USPS has a service called preimium forwarding, basically they hold your mail for a week, then box it up and send it to you, (PO box, RFD campground c/o, etc), it is fine if you know where you will be check out at USPS.com for rates and info!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're full-timers and are members of the Escapees FT group and use their Mail Service. Since we sold our home in Texas, our Escapee address also serves as our domicile. Their service to date has been flawless and we have received our mail from them 8 or 9 times since we began our adventure in July.
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    We're full-timers and are members of the Escapees FT group and use their Mail Service. Since we sold our home in Texas, our Escapee address also serves as our domicile. Their service to date has been flawless and we have received our mail from them 8 or 9 times since we began our adventure in July.
    What is your opinion on the different levels of escapees mail service?

Thanks

Barb
    Lloyd_TX

2023 Solitude 310GK - 2023 RAM 3500

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd_TX View Post
    What is your opinion on the different levels of escapees mail service?

Thanks

Barb
    I know you asked Alan, but we've used Escapees domicile and mail services for over eight years and have been very happy with them. I added scanning to our mail service a couple of years ago which has actually saved me money since I don't have to have everything forwarded, now (at 50 cents/page, scanning is cheaper than mailing a packet). All of our meds from Express Scripts go there, too, when we're on the road and not in one place long enough to put a temporary address in Express Scripts.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes on the 30 day hold. This summer I upgraded our mailbox to a large locking type so the 30 days of mail will fit along with another few weeks of mail. It worked fine for our 7 week trip around September...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast