User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch for 28G toy hauler

I am close to buying a Momentum 28G TT toyhauler and I need some hitch advice.
    I have read every thread ( I think) on this forum about hitches and still am unsure about which way to go.

The 28G is 34 ft long and has a max weight of 12,000. My truck is a 2018 F350 DRW crewcab diesel, payload 5,500 pounds or so. The hitch capacity for conventional towing is 21,000 pounds, with 2,100 pounds tongue weight. These numbers are the same with or without a WDH.

I expect at least 1,500 pounds tongue weight. Could be maybe 1,700. I expect the tongue weight to be high as I won't have any really heavy toy in the back.

I plan to tow from SC west to Utah and Arizona, and north to Maine. Most every where I want to go is 250 miles or more away. I really need to end up with a stable setup. I don't want my wife to become fearful because of sway.

I have plenty of experience towing trailers hauling equipment, but zero experience with a WDH or towing a TT.

Right now I am leaning toward a Blue Ox Sway Pro 2,000 pound TW hitch.

Questions:
    With this truck and its hitch capacity, do I even need to worry about weight distribution?

If i need "some" weight distribution, do I need to match TW rating of hitch to actual TW of trailer, or would for example 1,400 pound bars be sufficient?

For those of you with similar trailers, what hitch are you using and how do you like it?

Is the Blue Ox a good choice or something else?

Thanks in advance for any help!

John

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camper4871 View Post
    I am close to buying a Momentum 28G TT toyhauler and I need some hitch advice.
    I have read every thread ( I think) on this forum about hitches and still am unsure about which way to go.

The 28G is 34 ft long and has a max weight of 12,000. My truck is a 2018 F350 DRW crewcab diesel, payload 5,500 pounds or so. The hitch capacity for conventional towing is 21,000 pounds, with 2,100 pounds tongue weight. These numbers are the same with or without a WDH.

I expect at least 1,500 pounds tongue weight. Could be maybe 1,700. I expect the tongue weight to be high as I won't have any really heavy toy in the back.

I plan to tow from SC west to Utah and Arizona, and north to Maine. Most every where I want to go is 250 miles or more away. I really need to end up with a stable setup. I don't want my wife to become fearful because of sway.

I have plenty of experience towing trailers hauling equipment, but zero experience with a WDH or towing a TT.

Right now I am leaning toward a Blue Ox Sway Pro 2,000 pound TW hitch.

Questions:
    With this truck and its hitch capacity, do I even need to worry about weight distribution?

If i need "some" weight distribution, do I need to match TW rating of hitch to actual TW of trailer, or would for example 1,400 pound bars be sufficient?

For those of you with similar trailers, what hitch are you using and how do you like it?

Is the Blue Ox a good choice or something else?

Thanks in advance for any help!

John
    I use the Blue Ox 2k towing my 38 ft 315RLTS and am quite happy with it. Great sway control and, IMHO, easy to use.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chief

I remember seeing in some of your posts that you were using a Blue Ox.

Unless I learn something new, I will go with the 2000 pound Blue Ox.

Thanks again.

John

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chief

I remember seeing in some of your posts that you were using a Blue Ox.

Unless I learn something new, I will go with the 2000 pound Blue Ox.

Thanks again.

John
    I am using the Reese Striaghtline hitch with 1500 lb bars on my 297RSTS. I am very happy with this, easy to use and handles the trailer very well.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob:

Thanks for the recommendation. I have looked at some videos of the Reese Straightline, including one put out by ETrailer in which the presenter recommended Reese over several others for sway control. I will research further before I decide.

John

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

So we had the same concerns w our 28G and I upgraded to the Blue Ox 2000 lb hitch! 1500 lbs hitch is not enough! You will not regret it and will want to use the weight distribution, I have massive sway when not using the bars, I drove it home from the dealer 60 miles after a repair and was white knuckled the whole time. Would also be aware of the 30 amp service! Drives us crazy trying to use the microwave etc when running the AC units, the breaker pops every time.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darvin

Thanks for the info!

How does it tow with Blue Ox 2000 Lb hitch? Is towing at 68-70 MPH comfortable, if the traffic and weather are ok?

I saw your earlier posts about the 30 amp service. I wonder how many people change their units to 50 amp. It looks like $5-600 would buy the needed parts.

My plan, if I end up with this unit, is to upgrade the service if I really can't get along with the 30 amp limits.

Thanks again,
    John

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

28G Towing

Hi John,

It tows great! We live in Florida so I cannot attest to mountain driving. We've made about 6 trips to fort wilderness w the golf cart (1100 lbs) and it tows great at 65-70, that's about much as I push it.
    I think the 50 amp service would be a good investment, it drives my wife bonkers lol
    Last thing I would say, have you looked at the 29G? we love the garage option they're offering now.

Darvin

Thanks for the info!

How does it tow with Blue Ox 2000 Lb hitch? Is towing at 68-70 MPH comfortable, if the traffic and weather are ok?

I saw your earlier posts about the 30 amp service. I wonder how many people change their units to 50 amp. It looks like $5-600 would buy the needed parts.

My plan, if I end up with this unit, is to upgrade the service if I really can't get along with the 30 amp limits.

Thanks again,
    John

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't have a 28G, but I have a blueox with my current TT. Very easy to use and I recommend it all the time.