Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOUD Axle noise everytime move, turn, etc.

We have a brand new 297rsts and it has a huge axle noise when we turn, back up etc. Everyone stops and looks and wonders why it sounds like we are breaking the travel trailer. It is so awful. It sounds like something is going to break at any minute. It is a bang and scraping noise. It is in the axle area. I am tired on hearing the noise and all the serious looks from others. It is so loud, you can hear it half way down the street. The dealer seems to do nothing about it, Is this common for Grand Designs? I am so humiliated when we it happens. I don't hear this noise from any other travel trailers when they park or back up at an angle etc. It should not happen at all! Thanks for any imput.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure it's coming from the trailer suspension and not your weight-distributing hitch setup? It's very common for those hitches to make noise like that. If it's the suspension, have you crawled under the trailer and checked the springs, hangers, bolts, etc.?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jabhoyt View Post
    We have a brand new 297rsts and it has a huge axle noise when we turn, back up etc. Everyone stops and looks and wonders why it sounds like we are breaking the travel trailer. It is so awful. It sounds like something is going to break at any minute. It is a bang and scraping noise. It is in the axle area. I am tired on hearing the noise and all the serious looks from others. It is so loud, you can hear it half way down the street. The dealer seems to do nothing about it, Is this common for Grand Designs? I am so humiliated when we it happens. I don't hear this noise from any other travel trailers when they park or back up at an angle etc. It should not happen at all! Thanks for any imput.
    If it really is the axles and not the WDH that Rob is suggesting I would wonder if the fittings have been greased. If the axle fittings are dry that can cause a lot of noise. If you are sure it is the axles insist that the dealer grease the fittings or do that yourself.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2017 297RSTS doesn’t make any of those noises. Prior to me changing the suspension, it had no grease points on it. I don’t know if yours has any zerk fittings or not.

Now, many weight distribution hitches makes lots of noise during those maneuvers, just like Rob said. There are others that do not. What type of hitch do you own?
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replacing the original suspension components (standard bolts, plastic bushings, etc.) with MORryde wet bolts made our Imagine roll a lot quieter.

The friction surfaces on the head of our Equal-i-zer hitch require grease; otherwise they make a lot of noise during maneuvering. We also have the nylon pads that Equal-i-zer sells for the L-brackets (don't apply grease where the spring bars bear on the L-brackets).
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the responses: I am familiar with the noise of the weight distribution hitch. You can walk along side of the trailer and her the noise coming from where the tires are located. I assume that is the axle or something related to it. We complained to the dealer and nothing changed. The dealer is over an hour from us. They had the travel trailer for two weeks but only greased the slide outs. We have a equalizer 4 pt., sway 14000 lbs. hitch. I am really disturbed by the fact that no one else has this issue. I would need instructions on how to grease or whatever. The dealer appears to be of little help in this matter. They just haul the unit into the service bay with a machine with a hitch so they don't get to hear these awful sounds. Definitely coming from the mechanics near the tires.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to get my husband to crawl under the rig. It is a little difficult since we are both disabled in different ways and I am not sure he can take a good look at the suspension etc.. Great suggestion. I will tell him to take a look next time we take the rig out. Appreciate all the responses!!!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the responses: I am familiar with the noise of the weight distribution hitch. You can walk along side of the trailer and her the noise coming from where the tires are located. I assume that is the axle or something related to it. We complained to the dealer and nothing changed. The dealer is over an hour from us. They had the travel trailer for two weeks but only greased the slide outs. We have a equalizer 4 pt., sway 14000 lbs. hitch. I am really disturbed by the fact that no one else has this issue. I would need instructions on how to grease or whatever. The dealer appears to be of little help in this matter. They just haul the unit into the service bay with a machine with a hitch so they don't get to hear these awful sounds. Definitely coming from the mechanics near the tires.
    On the inside of each of the suspension bolts there is a grease zerk, 7 on each side to the trailer if memory serves correctly. Some of them you might have problems greasing. I have 2 that give me trouble.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a post about loud noise from the suspension on a new 337RLS.
    Seemed related to the spring shackles.
    Loud Popping Noise From Axle or Springs
    04-08-2017, 08:49 PM - Post 35 https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post105916
    05-09-2017, 08:57 PM - Post 57 https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post111101
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was going to say check the torque on the spring shackles and grease the wet bolts. I found my spring bolts were way low.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast