User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike Rack for fat tire ebikes

I have been reading the 10 pages of info on bike racks but haven’t seen one on our situation. We have two fat tire ebikes, combined weight just under 100 lbs with fat tires. We have a 2018 Solitude 310gk. Thanks for any info.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I doubt there is one that is RV rated. Same situation - now have two e-bikes (not fat tire, though). Best bike purchase I ever made, and I have bought many bikes. But they are beasts as far as weight. Since I pull a TT, they go in the bed of the truck in a homemade bed rack. Still need to figure out good weather protection though. Really don't want rain driven by 60+ mph travel speeds forced into the electronics....

Oops, after typing the above, found this: https://www.swagman.net/product/e-spec-e-bike-carrier/

Of course, that then drives the question about the receiver used to support all the weight and banging around....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re now thinking maybe put them on the front of the truck. GD was called and they swear back bumper can hold 100 lbs but after reading some stories here...????
    Btw, agree. Love the ebikes and the mountain tires are also great.
    Thanks

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at getting a couple of RadRover ebikes.... https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...ctric-fat-bike

Found this for a bike rack that'll go up to 5" wide tires (Rad bike is 4" and holds the weight of two bikes. However, I will be looking at getting a hitch that's bolted directly to the frame or on the front of the truck....

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...HR1450Z-E.html
    Last edited by JCZhome; 07-18-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cchapin100 View Post
    We’re now thinking maybe put them on the front of the truck. GD was called and they swear back bumper can hold 100 lbs but after reading some stories here...????
    Btw, agree. Love the ebikes and the mountain tires are also great.
    Thanks
    Been a long time since my physics classes, but suffice it to say, 100 lbs mounted straight on the bumper is a far different force than 100 lbs (plus the weight of the rack!) mounted two feet out (or more) from the bumper. Front mounted may be good - if they don't cause visibility/headlight issues. Or a conversation with the best hitch shop you can find about a welded on rear receiver that would be up to the task. Many bolted-to-the-frame receivers are way too puny for the job. I've seen pin box mounted receivers that put the bikes up by the front cap...but then you have to do the weight lifting to get them up there....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    Looking at getting a couple of RadRover ebikes.... https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...ctric-fat-bike

Found this for a bike rack that'll go up to 5" wide tires (Rad bike is 4" and holds the weight of two bikes. However, I will be looking at getting a hitch that's bolted directly to the frame or on the front of the truck....

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...HR1450Z-E.html
    Page down a bit on the link you gave. The rack is not rated for Fifth's or Travel Trailers. For almost all bike racks, you really need to download the manual and look at the fine print. Virtually all specifically warn against using on an RV. Swagman makes a few, Yakima makes one. There might be a couple of others...but they are rare as hen's teeth. And for e-bikes, even rarer.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So all this being said, has anyone mounted bikes to the front of the truck? We have a Chevy Silverado.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cchapin100 View Post
    So all this being said, has anyone mounted bikes to the front of the truck? We have a Chevy Silverado.
    I added a receiver on the front of my 2016 GMC 3500 and it worked okay. We carried 2 bikes on front and 2 bikes on the rear of the 5th wheel.

We have 2 Rad eBikes but I do carry them on a Hollywood rack on the back of the trailer with a cable tether that goes through and around both bikes and the rack and back through the trailer's frame. In the event of a rack failure I will drag and destroy the bikes but it won't cause a traffic hazard.

BTW, I have pulled nearly 50,000 miles just with this trailer (our 6th in 40 years) and always have a bike rack mounted on the rear and always mounted via a receiver (never a bumper mount) and I have never lost one. Not saying it can't happen as I've read reports of such, but I also believe the bike rack companies are overly concerned of lawsuits and would rather just put those disclaimers on their racks then have them put through the rigorous testing to "certify" them as trailer safe. But that's just my opinion.

Heck, we were towing one day on a fairly narrow highway and all of a sudden a full wheel and tire came bouncing right at us and then bounced over the freeway divide and into an oncoming car. A couple hundred feet down the road was a class A motorhome towing a Jeep with only 3 wheels on it. I guess my point is anything can happen. Heads up folks!

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a bunch Poppy, for your post!

My Furion Rear Vision Camera looks straight down and I can actually see the bottom of the ramp door, where the springs are at, in my rear vision monitor. However, having said that, my Momentum 376TH is for sale and am looking at the small, bumper pull Momentum just for summer time travel (to get in to smaller National, state and county parks on short notice. It will be on a receiver hitch and not mounted to the bumper.

What ever we end up with we're certainly going to go with the Rad Rover ebikes and looking to buy on black Friday. I heard last year it was $200-$400 off of each bike and an additional $200 off if you bought two or more on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. What ever RV we down size to, I need to get this bike thing figured out before I pull the trigger.
    Last edited by JCZhome; 07-19-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We decided to put our beloved ebikes with fat tires on a receiver in front of the truck. GD keeps saying 100lbs on the bumper is Ok but we’re not going to take a chance. Front receiver going on this next week and leave for 2 months after. THANK YOU ALL for your input and for the 10 pages of reading on this, Learned a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast