User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer Brake Disconnected - Check Trailer Brake Wiring

On the return from a recent trip (400 miles) I started getting the "trailer brake disconnected and check brake wiring message" on my dashboard (2015 Dodge Ram 2500, tow package - 2017 Grand Design Reflection 5thwheel 303RLS). Brakes on the trailer were not engaging. Flipped through the forum and saw similar posts and tried a few things -- with a friend more savvy than I. Truck plug in bed is powering fine as he checked it with his testing device. Lights up when i hit the truck brakes. All trailer lights, including brake lights are working even though we are getting the disconnect message -- but no brakes. Checked the junction box in the pin box and unscrewed ground and brake connections, reconnected, manipulated them while checking the dashboard but it says we are still "disconnected". No intermittent reconnect happening while manipulating the wires.

Pulled the breakaway while hooked up to the truck with cable connected and the brakes engaged as they should (probably running off the trailer batter, right?). Reconnected the breakaway. Unplugged the cable from inside the bed of the truck and replugged (all during the same operation when testing the breakaway) and now the cable connection and brakes are working? I have it in storage so was not able to take it on the road to check and see if it I get the "brake disconnected or check trailer brake wiring" occurrence/message again. Gonna pull it out in 2 weeks. It appears to now be working but I am guessing something was triggered when the breakaway engaged the brakes and will be only be temporary before failing again. Any ideas where to go from here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine had the same message too. Ended up being a bare brake wire where it exits from the axle. The grommet was missing and the wire insulation had rubbed off.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to check that out when I pull it out next. I took a quick look at those wires but maybe I missed something. Am wondering if the wire is stripped/shorted there, would the brakes still work if the breakaway was pulled. They worked when i pulled the breakaway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they will. The breakaway is powered by the battery, not your truck.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I fixed this by using some dielectric grease on the trailer connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I fixed this by using some dielectric grease on the trailer connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There you go again - great minds think alike. On my old unit I had a similar problem but it was the trailer lights. Dealer cleaned my electrical plug (electric parts cleaner) and added the dielectric grease. Used Q-tips for both operations. Reminds me I need to treat my new plug - another item for the HD list.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: Things seem to be working after I disconnected and reconnected the brake away. 3 miles down the road and I started getting the message that it is disconnected. And brakes stopped working. Pulled off the road, uplugged into the bed of truck, replugged, and it is working again. Parked it. Will have to take it out again to see if it happens again but I am guessing it will.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did put some dialectic grease on the connections but did not clean them first. That was probably a mistake. How do you clean them?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy+Mo View Post
    I did put some dialectic grease on the connections but did not clean them first. That was probably a mistake. How do you clean them?
    Electric parts cleaner (spray can) Its nasty on your hands - wear gloves. Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace etc should have it. Just follow the directions. I spray some in the cap and use a Q-tip to get into tight places. If the corrosion is real bad use some emery cloth too.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful how much dielectric grease you use. True dielectric grease is actually an insulator , not a conductor. Some,however , have conductive elements added. It’s main purpose is to seal connections to prevent contaminants and corrosion from degrading the connection. There are some sprays , like Corrosion-X specifically for these types of connectors.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast