User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's found the magic cleaner / wax ?

Hi All, well we've had the MKS28 long enough now it needs a bath, and the Transcend manual calls for frequent washing and waxing. However, I haven't found a wax yet I think I'd want to try putting on this finish. Anyone found a magic bullet for this new surface yet? Thanx in advance.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have owned our 2020 Transcend for a little over a month now. We started getting black streaks down the sides that washing did not remove (not stored under trees). Talked to the manager at the detail shop where we bought the TT and he told us due to type of exterior they use a buffer with a 3M compound to get them off. He told us if you wax it it will leave a chalky film.

Prior to speaking with him I tried GooGone, WashAll, soap and water, dryer sheets to get them off NOTHING worked. After speaking to detail shop I tried Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and they come right off with just hand buffing. I don't see any affect on the paint or exterior of the TT.

I used Meguiar's Gold Class car wash and it cleaned up the camper very nicely. I have been told Murphy's Oil Soap is to be used on the roof. I will be doing that this weekend
    Last edited by GrandRN; 08-22-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. Now I too have something to do this weekend.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Car's, boats, planes and RV's. There is no magic bullet. There's lots of stuff out there that does a fair job, but I always found elbow grease to be the most effective.

Black streaks: I now have an RV with mostly black paint, so I don't see them as much. On my older RV I used simply green or other grease cutting cleaner, still had to scrub. My dad swore by 409, do they even make that anymore? A buddy told me 1/4 cup dawn and 1 cup vinegar to a gallon of water works well for him.

The new polymer products do pretty good at cutting black streaks, supposedly, when you spary/wipe the product on it adheres to the pollutant and can be wiped off. I have had mixed results.

Polishing, I tried that, wound up putting big buffer marks in the clear coat and never really got them out. Polishing vehicles is what I did back in the 70's, technology/paintology has changed since then. It no longer works very well.

I spent the big bucks on my new Momentum and got full body paint. Now I treat it like my truck. I wash it with cheap car wash to get the grime and road oil off, then I wipe it down with a polymer wax product called Aero-shell. It was developed for airplanes and does an ok job. Nu-finish and McGquires (sp) have their own polymer products. That basically do the same thing.

Bugs; always hard to get off. I hit them with the hose to get them wet and start to soaking, then again, then spread some soapy water on them, about 1/2 hours worth of keeping them wet. Then I use a no scratch pad (like the back side of an old kitchen sponge) and rub gently back and forth still bug matter is gone.

If you have decals always check the label to make sure your product is ok with vinyl. I sorta messed up on my old 5th wheel and ended up with really ugly cracked decals, plus all the swirl marks from where I tried to polish it, plus some faded lines where I used a permanent marker to divide sections for waxing, stupid stupid stupid....

Just don't get too crazy with it and you will be ok.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been using Protectall on basically everything inside and outside with very good results.

https://www.amazon.com/Protect-All-6...54375544&psc=1
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use similar process that Dallas uses.

To wash I first hose off everything then use a soft brush in a pail of soapy car wash water.

For bugs I hit them with a hose for a while to get as much off a possible. Then use hose to keep bugs wet for a while. Then I use a non-scratching bug Scrubber pad https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010GEMZUM/ with the car wash soap.

For black streaks I use a polymer product called Rejex and microfiber cloths https://www.amazon.com/CorrosionX-61...dp/B0006V0LNY/ it does a decent job of removing black streaks and it’s easy to buff without and abrasives in it. I’ve also used it on the decals with no I’ll effects.

I’ve used this for bug removal on cars, trucks airplanes and RVs with good results. Florida is notorious for attracting smashed bugs on leading edges of vehicles.

Last edited by Jerryr; 08-24-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas, 409 used to be a great degreaser, and it’s still sold. However, within the last year or two, I noticed it smelled different. Reading the label, the manufacturer has changed the focus from grease cutting to all-surface/disinfectant. Now all my old 409 spray bottles are filled with Krud Cutter degreaser.

Also, I’ve found that the new silicon “sponges” do a good job getting the smashed bugs off. They rinse clean, so no bug guts smell left behind
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Dallas, 409 used to be a great degreaser, and it’s still sold. However, within the last year or two, I noticed it smelled different. Reading the label, the manufacturer has changed the focus from grease cutting to all-surface/disinfectant. Now all my old 409 spray bottles are filled with Krud Cutter degreaser.

Also, I’ve found that the new silicon “sponges” do a good job getting the smashed bugs off. They rinse clean, so no bug guts smell left behind
    N
    Let me clarify. The Transcends and others with the aluminum skin have a satin finish and there is no clearcoat. The normal cleaning methods don't work. I do have a bit of an update. For this finish you can use EITHER a compound or polish. I have found that both work depending on how bad the black streaks are. I also purchased a Griot Random Orbital polisher. This weekend I am going to wash the TT again with Meguiar's Wash and Wax then apply a coat of polish and see if that helps. Hopefully this will help some of you out.
    Last edited by GrandRN; 09-13-2019 at 12:16 PM.
    2020 Transcend 27BHS
    2011 F150 SCREW 4x4 Offroad 3.73, Elocker, Ecoboost
    Gas a Just rear shocks / 5 star Adapative/Performance tunes
    Equalizer 10k hitch

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought an update was in order. I had been pressing GD for instructions on how and what type of wax to use on my 26RLS and I didn't get very far. I did learn that the finish is a baked on paint done by Dura Coat Products and that's about it. I believe that the finish is acrylic, but I'm not 100% sure, because no one would confirm it. I even called Dura Coat Products and asked them, but they would not say either. As you can see I technically got no where with GD or Dura Coat Products. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't applying a wax that would harm the finish in any way.

So I decided to fiddle around on my own. I tried a bunch of car waxes that I had in the garage in small areas on the trailer. I ended up using Meguiars Ultimate Paste wax. I washed the trailers real good and let it dry. I then applied the paste wax just as I would on a car, only I had to apply it in a back and forth method following each panel rather than in swirls. I let it dry, like it said on the can. Once dry I buffed it off using a few terry cloth towels. I won't say it was as easy as buffing off a car, but it wasn't insanely harder. The slightly rough mat finish of the siding made it a tad harder to buff off. The wax didn't give the white siding a high gloss finish that I was very worried about, it just made the trailer look brand new. So far I've only waxed one side (its a ton of work!). I'm going to try the liquid version of Meguiars Ultimate wax to see if it's easier. I did find that the terry towels used to buff off the wax seemed to clog up faster than I expected, but I attributed that to me probably applying more wax than normal due to the siding texture. So have a couple terry towels on hand when you buff it off.

In case you were wondering, my arms are killing me!

Best of luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the meguires ultimate liquid on everything. It’s the best wax I’ve found and it won’t leave a white residue on black plastics either.

I’ve washed and waxed my old one before and it sucked. I’ll have to do this new one soon too...
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7