User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic 9100 awning motor

Any mechanical engineers out there? Thanking everyone in advance for enduring through this. My awning was damaged during a thunder storm that was a precursor to Hurricane Barry while down in Grand Isle, LA. The right arm was mangled beyond repair. I had to get the awning off the coach. The bottom line was I was soaked, the left arm remained on the coach; the right arm, tube and fabric were on the ground. The next morning during a let up in the rain I had to pack up. To make matters worse, we were in about 4 inches of water, including the roller tube. I manually compressed the left arm, separated the right arm from the tube and packed up everything to head home. Once home, and after surveying the damage, I knew the right arm and fabric needed to be replaced along some body work to fill some holes. I knew the tube would have to be re-tensioned. I decided to test the motor. I removed the motor from the tube and began testing. When I did, I got nothing but a click when hooked to a 12v power source. The bottom line is that I will have to buy a new motor, and trying to piecemeal parts to make the repair, it looks like it may not cost much more to get a whole new awning.

Anyway, I wanted to peel back the wrappers of the motor to see if I could figure it out. Once I pulled the cover off I saw this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	661C642B-5191-44E0-AA95-AA7447A43B0E.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	21470
    The external motor housing, silver tube, can be seen above the motor on the left.

Name:	EAEC38E3-BFE3-45CA-9165-B80D7E74D3A2.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	21471
    Here the motor/gear assembly have been separated from what I call the clutch and or brake assembly.

Name:	53C6D86F-98DE-43CB-AFBF-0F8B797079B0.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	895.7 KB 
ID:	21472

Name:	C480A690-03C8-4443-8792-052FA6B91E73.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	836.8 KB 
ID:	21473
    I included this pic to show this has a manufacturer as well as a part and serial number. I can’t find anything on this part anywhere online.

Name:	2B01B1B3-2C9D-4CE1-91F8-13A4A2C044FB.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	883.3 KB 
ID:	21474

Two more photos in the next post. At this point, and with 12v applied, the motor ran smoothly. The square motor shaft fits into the square hole. It seems without power, this clutch keeps the awning from rolling out, such as during travel. It will not allow the motor to turn. When powered, and if working properly, it should do something to allow the motor to turn, but it appears once everything is screwed together, there is no way for anything to rotate.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next two pics

Name:	620FDAF4-CE01-4BCE-99C8-35EF3087F755.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	983.9 KB 
ID:	21475

Name:	9FFF5231-480C-45AF-A008-31ED52EEAAF7.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	21477

any idea how this is supposed to work? Any way to test this. I do have continuity. When power is applied, there is no movement. It attracts no ferrous metal with current applied. Anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks again for looking.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tubastew View Post
    any idea how this is supposed to work? Any way to test this. I do have continuity. When power is applied, there is no movement. It attracts no ferrous metal with current applied. Anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks again for looking.
    I think the electric brake coil is bad since it doesn't attract metal or move the friction material off that plate, unless it bound up from corrosion.
    I've read you can hear a click from the movement when the coil energizes and allows the motor to rotate. An ammeter could check amps thru the coil with 12V applied.
    For grins I'd spray some pb blaster on the side with the friction material to see if anything is frozen up as probably tight clearance between the steel and the friction material.
    I'd be looking at ebay for a dometic 9100 power awning motor unless you can get the whole awning cheaper.

Um, I've never had one of these apart so I'm just going by my rusty electrical troubleshooting skills.
    Last edited by gbkims; 07-19-2019 at 08:09 PM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the idea. I will tinker with it in a day or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem and took my motor apart yesterday. I used 600 grit sandpaper to clean up the plates that the brake disc goes between. After I put it all together everything ran like it should.