User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shorten Power Cord? Generator question

Our new Solitude is permanently parked on a site at the beach in SC. I am thinking about making up a short power cord (about 6' will do it) instead of using the 35' cord that is now just coiled up on the ground (my 50amp receptacle box is just next to the power cord input on the coach). My plan is to sacrifice a 15' 50 amp extension cord I have had for years, cut it to length and add a new water connector for the trailer. I am curious if anyone else has done the same.

Also, I am thinking of getting a 3000 - 3100 watt standby generator just in case. We plan to spend a lot of time there and, especially in hot weather, if a storm knocks out power I'd like to be able to run one AC. I am looking at the Champion and similar units (actually one sold by Harbor Freight got great Consumer Reports reviews). My question is will one of these 3000 watt units run a 15K BTU AC unit?
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think the 3000 watt inverter generator will run one a/c unit. But just cut off the a/c if you need to use the microwave or other power sucking appliance like an airless fryer.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Firman 3550 non-inverter generator (looks remarkably similar to a Champion) that runs a single AC and pretty much everything else in my little trailer OK. The AC doesn’t need an inverted power source, IMO. Electronics like TV’s, audio systems, computers etc... it is best to have an inverter, but if you are not running larger intermittent loads, the spikes will be minimal and even electronics work fine. Obviously depends how long you can go without sensitive electronics during genny run time. Biggest issue is operation noise, non-inverters meet National Park noise limits bu. I’ve noticed inverter units tend to be quieter.
    Cost of 3550 watt non-inverters is right, $300CDN, must be under $250US.
    I recall seeing some 10’ shore power cords, can’t remember where. Might be better than chopping up a good 15’ extension cord and adding a shore power connector.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your case, I think I'd buy the connectors and re-work the shorter cable. If you want to buy one, there are a lot of really crappy cords out there, and some cheaper good ones. I know this outfit is good...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these are too -

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-15455.../dp/B0034U9IEM

Keep your eyes open for sales. In your case, I think I'd buy the connectors and re-work the shorter cable.