User Tag List

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lobstah! On the NH/ME coast

Went to Old Salt, and had a terrible meal. Artichoke heart app had spines in every mouthful, chowder was tasty, but clams were few and far, and two lobster rolls came to the table-one, all claw meat, one, all tail meat. For those who have worked in a restaurant, Who does that to a two-top??? You might get by sending it to a table of 6 or 8, but really, like we wouldn’t notice? The lobster was tough as nails and flavorless. Only later did we see a review from a local, lamenting that the place touted as “the best...” had, sadly, gone downhill.
    All’s not lost, however, as Bruce brought home two live lobsters last year from Wells, ME. Went up the coast to Mike’s Fish Market and Lobster Pound (right next to Mike’s Clam Shack). For the same cost of the bad meal, we brought home (to the RV) a pound of lobster meat, succulent, tender, and cooked to perfection, 3 stuffed shells-clam, scallop, and crab, and a half-pound yellowfin steak. Enough for two good meals and then some! We finally had the warm, buttery lobster rolls we came for! Yea Mike’s! RESPECT the seafood!
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you're making us hungry.

We once rented a car in Boston and drove as far as the roads went in Sydney, NS on Cape Breton Island. We were looking for roadside lobster shacks and Celtic music, but found none. We did find very expensive food, 15% sales taxes and $12.99 six packs of beer.

Upon our return to Maine, we finally found the roadside stands serving Lobster Rolls, etc. And we found the coastal cities to be very plearsurable--like Camden, Maine with all their tall sailing ships and mahogany boats.

Nothing like finding great food when you travel. Too bad we drove 1600 miles before finding it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get a lot of looks when I say this, but I don't really like lobster much. The exception is the north shore of Prince Edward Island lobster suppers. THAT I could eat a couple times a week. The Maritimes was the last significant RV trip we took with our old unit back in 2008. Looking forward to roaming around again. Supposed to take delivery middle of next week.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Went to Old Salt, and had a terrible meal. Artichoke heart app had spines in every mouthful, chowder was tasty, but clams were few and far, and two lobster rolls came to the table-one, all claw meat, one, all tail meat. For those who have worked in a restaurant, Who does that to a two-top??? You might get by sending it to a table of 6 or 8, but really, like we wouldn’t notice? The lobster was tough as nails and flavorless. Only later did we see a review from a local, lamenting that the place touted as “the best...” had, sadly, gone downhill.
    All’s not lost, however, as Bruce brought home two live lobsters last year from Wells, ME. Went up the coast to Mike’s Fish Market and Lobster Pound (right next to Mike’s Clam Shack). For the same cost of the bad meal, we brought home (to the RV) a pound of lobster meat, succulent, tender, and cooked to perfection, 3 stuffed shells-clam, scallop, and crab, and a half-pound yellowfin steak. Enough for two good meals and then some! We finally had the warm, buttery lobster rolls we came for! Yea Mike’s! RESPECT the seafood!
    N
    Nancy and Bruce - We used to go to Maine every summer for two weeks and had lobster lots - we usually cooked it at the campsite. It was most relaxing and fresh! Reading your post has me wanting to get back to Maine again!!!
    Eric
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was recently in Narragansett RI at Fisherman's Memorial. The Point Judith / Galilee fishing port is right there so lots of fresh sea food right from the boats at the fish markets. I bought claw meat and made my own lobster rolls, Mmmmm good lunch! I got whole lobsters steamed at no charge from the market. Along with the tuna, flounder and swordfish some of the best campsite dining since the outer banks in April. I don't understand how but I always seem to loose a few pounds staying at sea side campgrounds.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 07-26-2019 at 05:00 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I was recently in Narragansett RI at Fisherman's Memorial. The Point Judith / Galilee fishing port is right there so lots of fresh sea food right from the boats at the fish markets. I bought claw meat and made my own lobster rolls, Mmmmm good lunch! I got whole lobsters steamed at no charge from the market. Along with the tuna, flounder and swordfish some of the best campsite dining since the outer banks in April. I don't understand how but I always seem to loose a few pounds staying at sea side campgrounds.
    Protein, Ace, protein!
    Or, maybe you could cut back on the butter because the seafood was as it should be-fresh, and not cooked to death.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Protein, Ace, protein!
    Or, maybe you could cut back on the butter because the seafood was as it should be-fresh, and not cooked to death.
    N
    I'm not a big butter guy... I prefer mine with mayo
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.