User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cellular Window Shades

I've been reading a lot about cellular window shades being really good for insulating windows against both heat and cold. I was about to apply the reflective insulation to my windows again to give my dual AC units a break, BUT I hate covering these beautiful windows like that.

Has anyone tried the cellular shades? If so, how well do they work (summer and winter)? If they work well, it might be worth a custom job in Home-ish (my rig).
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say that the cellular shades at our house were worthless at insulating against heat. It routinely gets to 100 degrees plus where we live.

For our trailer I installed ceramic window film instead. It’s rated to cut down 64% of the total solar heat. I installed it myself. Windowfilm.com. Get the 20% ceramic for automobiles.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the auto ceramic from there clear? I ordered the residential since it doesn't shrink, and it has a slight green tint to it. So much so I didn't install it. It's also somewhat cloudy compared to the bats window.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    2017 Solitude 377MBS
    2018 Ram 2500 with diesel and air assist suspension.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ceramic comes in various tints. They are rated by the amount of transmissible light. I got the 20%. But it doesn’t seem very dark at all. I actually applied a double layer of film on the big windows over the dinette. Those windows transmit a lot of heat. Now with two layers of film, with the shades up I feel just a little both of warmth. With the shades down I feel no heat at all

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had 3M Crystalline window film installed at a local tint shop. Living and camping in the Desert SW (when not skiing up North) presents many challenges. For me the window film still wasn't enough so I had solar screens 90% Suntek black made for every window. Used Command strips to hold them on and when not camping just remove the screens and leave the command strips attached to both the screen and RV.

This has really made a huge difference and I think they look pretty nice as well. Can still see out those big beautiful windows but people can't see in which is another advantage. When breaking camp just easily remove and place all the screens in the basement. Here's a couple pics with them installed. As I recall the price for the screens was about $500 however it's nice and cool inside so well worth the money.
    Mark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_318e.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1,007.3 KB 
ID:	21493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_3190.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	772.0 KB 
ID:	21494
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markb777 View Post
    I had 3M Crystalline window film installed at a local tint shop. Living and camping in the Desert SW (when not skiing up North) presents many challenges. For me the window film still wasn't enough so I had solar screens 90% Suntek black made for every window. Used Command strips to hold them on and when not camping just remove the screens and leave the command strips attached to both the screen and RV.

This has really made a huge difference and I think they look pretty nice as well. Can still see out those big beautiful windows but people can't see in which is another advantage. When breaking camp just easily remove and place all the screens in the basement. Here's a couple pics with them installed. As I recall the price for the screens was about $500 however it's nice and cool inside so well worth the money.
    Mark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_318e.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1,007.3 KB 
ID:	21493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_3190.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	772.0 KB 
ID:	21494
    Based on your post I contacted a screen guy about getting these made for our Solitude. He said he did not stock the material and said he would only do it if I was willing to pay for a 100' roll. I plan to keep looking for someone in the Myrtle Beach, SC area who will make those for us. If they are like those we had for our motorhome windshield, they really do block heat.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    Based on your post I contacted a screen guy about getting these made for our Solitude. He said he did not stock the material and said he would only do it if I was willing to pay for a 100' roll. I plan to keep looking for someone in the Myrtle Beach, SC area who will make those for us. If they are like those we had for our motorhome windshield, they really do block heat.
    I simply called 3 different companies who do nothing but install solar screens on houses. Told them no need to come out for an estimate, no need to deliver the screens. Faxed them my exact measurements, paid ½ up front, ½ when I picked them up and done. They should be pleased to have your business without sending out someone to measure then another person to install. I was able to get a small discount because of this.

Also, very important * Add 2 inches to each vertical and horizontal measurement. You want the actual frame 1 inch larger than your window dimension on all sides in order to attach the Command strips to the RV. This is only for windows which are NOT frameless. For all the frameless windows I submitted exact measurements because the Command strips actually attach to the glass and not the RV. For example for the windows WITH frame, if your window measurement is 20 x 30, order the screen 22 x 32.* Same windows but frameless the screen would be 20 x 30.

ACE Hardware will make the screens however their price is just about twice as high as a solar screen company.
    Mark
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you install the window film on the inside or outside of the windows?
    Joe & Melissa
    2018 Solitude 310GK, Sailun S637’s, Morryde 7k IS
    2021 Ram Bighorn 3500 DRW 4x4
    Southwest Missouri

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Window film goes on the inside.

I’m going to look into making up some of the solar screens. I’m already making some for the house so all I have to do is to find a supplier for the frames and corner connectors.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, what I want is the same type of sun blocking screens that I had for our motorhome. They were a heavy black sun blocking screen with stainless snaps. They snapped securely over my windshield and the front side windows.

I found ShadePro. They use the Suntex 90 material and will custom make the screens (no frame, just a heavy double stitched seam all around). For all of the windows on the sunny side of my rig and the large window on the back, it looks like my cost would be about $200 plus shipping.

https://www.shadepro.net/product/window-cover/

When we are at the coach, all of our patio side windows are shaded by two trees and our two patio awnings. I may also get the sunshades made for those windows, however, to block sun when we are not there and have the awnings stored.
    Last edited by KirbyRVA; 07-21-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]