User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a common dealership tactic ?

Presently in the early stage of negotiation for a 2020 imagine. I told the sales person that I was willing to seal the deal if they come down $3000 from their advertised price. He is now asking for a “refundable” $1000 deposit before he asks the sale manager to consider my offer. I have to say that I’m disappointed with this practice and strongly considering walking away from these guys. What’s your take on this ?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denisf View Post
    Presently in the early stage of negotiation for a 2020 imagine. I told the sales person that I was willing to seal the deal if they come down $3000 from their advertised price. He is now asking for a “refundable” $1000 deposit before he asks the sale manager to consider my offer. I have to say that I’m disappointed with this practice and strongly considering walking away from these guys. What’s your take on this ?
    I'd be walking out of the dealership with that request.

We found the best way to get a lower price was to do an internet search and requests quotes for the lowest price they are willing to take. Then, if you find a price that works, taking that quote to the nearest dealer and asking them to match it. Worked for us. We got about 23% off MSRP that way.

If they don't match it, be sure you're willing to actually go to the dealership that did give you the best offer. We were, but we didn't have to.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what they do at car dealerships sometimes as well. It is their way of making sure if they take your offer you can't back out. It shows that you are serious. Have done this on car purchases when negotiating. Negotiated the 297RSTS over the phone so couldn't do it then.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    I'd be walking out of the dealership with that request.

We found the best way to get a lower price was to do an internet search and requests quotes for the lowest price they are willing to take. Then, if you find a price that works, taking that quote to the nearest dealer and asking them to match it. Worked for us. We got about 23% off MSRP that way.

If they don't match it, be sure you're willing to actually go to the dealership that did give you the best offer. We were, but we didn't have to.
    That’s how I feel. Unfortunately, there is only a couple of Grand Design dealers in Alberta. Another dealer (15hrs away) quoted me almost $8000 less than what these guys want, and included battery, hoses and other small perks. Just concerned with warranty work, being that far away.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would normally suggest doing your shopping via the internet and don't ask for their best price....some dealerships have a lot of extras that others may not have. When shopping for a car, truck, another Harley or an RV.....shoot them all an email explaining that you have financing in place and you would like their best Out-The-Door price (minus tax and license) and let them know that you're inquiring of other dealerships as well.

Then they know they only have one shot at you and who ever offers the best deal is who I go with. I don't go back to the closest dealership and ask them to price match.....they've already let me know they are to high for me to do business with. However, you said there are only two close to you......so all of that is mute.

I would go to the deaelrship that's $8000 less for a couple of reasons....the savings is huge! If you buy from them and the dealership close to you doesn't want to do business with you (you probably don't want to do business with them!) works in your favor. Now Grand Design has to authorize an RV Mobile Tech......which means it'll get repaired a lot faster and you will not be without your RV for weeks or months while you're making payments on it. I've had my RV worked on, all across the country.....nothing says that you have to take it to the purchasing deaelership. They would like it that way but it's not mandated.

By the way, the guy asking you for a deposit of $1,000 deposit before he'll ask for your lower price knows two things. He knows that you asking for $3,000 less than their asking price isn't the best deal that he could get you and the deposit is to lock you down when he comes back and tells you "I had a hard time talking the sales manager into it but he finally agreed when I told him that you already put a deposit down". I would move on.....not the way I want to do business now days. The internet is your friend.

You can click on this link and see the MSRP and the dealer's invoice for all the Imagine models....start from the invoice and work up, not the MSRP and work down! https://seedealercost.com/recreation...vel%20Trailers
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s how I feel. Unfortunately, there is only a couple of Grand Design dealers in Alberta. Another dealer (15hrs away) quoted me almost $8000 less than what these guys want, and included battery, hoses and other small perks. Just concerned with warranty work, being that far away.
    For $8000, I'd go to the further dealership. As noted, GD will authorize mobile RV techs for warranty service, if necessary. And many of us have found that independent service locations/mobile techs are really the best way to go. Most actual RV dealerships are only in it to make a sale, service becomes a distant priority for them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dealer excepted my offer. Then I agreed to put a deposit on the trailer to hold it. Do you have a hitch and such? Make that part of your deal! Also by saying take 3000 off advertised price how do you kno the dealer won’t put on a bunch of add on? Delivery charge. Dealer fee. Prep fee. Eat.
    Make them an Out the Door offer. With a quality hitch included!
    Thus no bottom line surprises. Good luck with your shopping.
    Lakeland FL.
    2016 1500 Ram Crew
    2019- imagine-2150RB

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A coworker bought a Grand Design (one of a few, actually). We have multiple GD dealers in my state (CO), but he went all the way to Florida for a much better deal and camped all the way back. He made a trip out of the deal. For an $8k discount, I'd do exactly that, which was why he did. I say go with the other dealer! I wouldn't feel okay with that tactic either.

I have a semi-related question, because I've seen this come up quite a bit. The GD dealers in my state don't have good service reviews at all. What exactly is needed in order for GD to approve a mobile tech? Or, will they always approve it? This, by far, sounds like the best way to go, so I'm very curious. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    I would normally suggest doing your shopping via the internet and don't ask for their best price....some dealerships have a lot of extras that others may not have. When shopping for a car, truck, another Harley or an RV.....shoot them all an email explaining that you have financing in place and you would like their best Out-The-Door price (minus tax and license) and let them know that you're inquiring of other dealerships as well.

Then they know they only have one shot at you and who ever offers the best deal is who I go with. I don't go back to the closest dealership and ask them to price match.....they've already let me know they are to high for me to do business with. However, you said there are only two close to you......so all of that is mute.

I would go to the deaelrship that's $8000 less for a couple of reasons....the savings is huge! If you buy from them and the dealership close to you doesn't want to do business with you (you probably don't want to do business with them!) works in your favor. Now Grand Design has to authorize an RV Mobile Tech......which means it'll get repaired a lot faster and you will not be without your RV for weeks or months while you're making payments on it. I've had my RV worked on, all across the country.....nothing says that you have to take it to the purchasing deaelership. They would like it that way but it's not mandated.

By the way, the guy asking you for a deposit of $1,000 deposit before he'll ask for your lower price knows two things. He knows that you asking for $3,000 less than their asking price isn't the best deal that he could get you and the deposit is to lock you down when he comes back and tells you "I had a hard time talking the sales manager into it but he finally agreed when I told him that you already put a deposit down". I would move on.....not the way I want to do business now days. The internet is your friend.

You can click on this link and see the MSRP and the dealer's invoice for all the Imagine models....start from the invoice and work up, not the MSRP and work down! https://seedealercost.com/recreation...vel%20Trailers
    Ok....I've researched many different travel trailers over the last couple years and I had no idea this website existed. I feel like an idiot. Either way, thanks for posting this! Great resource.
    2019 Ford F250 CCSB 6.7L
    2017 Polaris RZR 1000XP
    Next - Momentum? ????

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I have a semi-related question, because I've seen this come up quite a bit. The GD dealers in my state don't have good service reviews at all. What exactly is needed in order for GD to approve a mobile tech? Or, will they always approve it? This, by far, sounds like the best way to go, so I'm very curious. Thanks!

Well, in our case, we contacted GD to tell them that the dealer was unable to fix our rig in a timely manner. They told us to take it to any repair facility, have them take pictures of what needed to be fixed, forward those pictures to GD, and then have the service place fix it. Once fixed, and paid for (by us) we were to submit the bill to GD for a refund.

And that's exactly how it worked.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    A coworker bought a Grand Design (one of a few, actually). We have multiple GD dealers in my state (CO), but he went all the way to Florida for a much better deal and camped all the way back. He made a trip out of the deal. For an $8k discount, I'd do exactly that, which was why he did. I say go with the other dealer! I wouldn't feel okay with that tactic either.

Ok....I've researched many different travel trailers over the last couple years and I had no idea this website existed. I feel like an idiot. Either way, thanks for posting this! Great resource.
    Yes, they try real hard to hide this from the general public. I didn't know about this either, until I went to Texas for the RV Maint. Tech. training and the training to become a Level 2 certified RV Inspector. I'm not in business, I took all of that training for personal knowledge. But I use that training trying to help others....
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast