User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Locked out at camp

This weekend we took my sister and her daughter camping with us at the beach. When we got back from the beach on Saturday I unlocked the camper and started working on prepping the campfire. I didn't pay particular attention to which lock turned which way. When my sister got hosed off and was ready to go inside, she couldn't get in. I thought to myself, "Odd, I guess we left the camper unlocked.", tossed her the key and went back to making the fire. She got in and all was well. Fast forward about 20 minutes she had come back out and was now going in to get some food. She couldn't get in... Yup, the door was locked.

Now, I can't say exactly how it happened; but it was the top lock cylinder, not the deadbolt. My current theory is that when she unlocked the locks to get in, she accidentally locked that one after opening the door, but before pulling the key out. When she was inside it was fine. The door opens from the inside when that cylinder is locked for safety. But with nobody else in the camper, we were in a pickle. My spare key was at home about 30 minutes away (thankfully). Of course, the truck key was in the camper. So after some figuring and 4-letter words, we managed to get a window open. Thankfully, my niece was able to get through and open everything up.

I don't know what we'd have done if she wasn't there. I'm sure it would have been more destructive at the very least. The new RVLock keypad unit is on the way... Thankfully, they had a pretty good sale going until last night.

Today's moral: If you don't bring your spare key, then bring a small kid to shove through the window.
    Last edited by TheGuy; 07-22-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Locked out at camp

Good idea.
    I replaced our door lock with an RVLock.
    We don’t even use keys anymore.

Hard to screw that system up.

Also replaced all the exterior compartment locks with combination locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 07-22-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Good idea.
    I replaced our door lock with an RVLock.
    We don’t even use keys anymore.

Hard to screw that system up.

Also replaced all the exterior compartment locks with combination locks.

Yup... I have digital locks on the house doors and love that I cannot be locked out anymore. ...Well, not easily anyway.

What combination locks did you get? You mean the ones like on a briefcase, right? I ordered the RVLock compartment locks that are keyed to the door cylinder, but I've considered those in the past because I never have the key when I'm randomly wanting to get into the compartment.
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    This weekend we took my sister and her daughter camping with us at the beach. When we got back from the beach on Saturday I unlocked the camper and started working on prepping the campfire. I didn't pay particular attention to which lock turned which way. When my sister got hosed off and was ready to go inside, she couldn't get in. I thought to myself, "Odd, I guess we left the camper unlocked.", tossed her the key and went back to making the fire. She got in and all was well. Fast forward about 20 minutes she had come back out and was now going in to get some food. She couldn't get in... Yup, the door was locked.

Now, I can't say exactly how it happened; but it was the top lock cylinder, not the deadbolt. My current theory is that when she unlocked the locks to get in, she accidentally locked that one after opening the door, but before pulling the key out. When she was inside it was fine. The door opens from the inside when that cylinder is locked for safety. But with nobody else in the camper, we were in a pickle. My spare key was at home about 30 minutes away (thankfully). Of course, the truck key was in the camper. So after some figuring and 4-letter words, we managed to get a window open. Thankfully, my niece was able to get through and open everything up.

I don't know what we'd have done if she wasn't there. I'm sure it would have been more destructive at the very least. The new RVLock keypad unit is on the way... Thankfully, they had a pretty good sale going until last night.

Today's moral: If you don't bring your spare key, then bring a small kid to shove through the window.
    When we replaced the window in our front door with one that has clear glass, we kept the frosted one "just in case" we ever had to break the window to get into the rig. The old window travels under the bed.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know from working at a campground that you can carefully pry the handle open with a screw driver without doing any damage to the lock. I haven't yet installed the RV Lock on our new trailer but never, ever use the handle lock, only the deadbolt.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What ever happened to the magnetic hidden key holder box. I'm pretty sure there is a good spot by the propane tanks to put it (inside frame). Now saying that I need to get one for the new unit. I left my old one in the other trailer. Maybe the new owner will find it someday. It was in the front compartment up high above the propane tanks.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar 'lock out' issue with my 2020 310GK, turns out the door wasn't locked at all. The side with the door was in the direct sun for several hours and had expanded the door & jam where I had to pry it open. I thought it was locked at first cause it wouldn't budge.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clsfly View Post
    I had a similar 'lock out' issue with my 2020 310GK, turns out the door wasn't locked at all. The side with the door was in the direct sun for several hours and had expanded the door & jam where I had to pry it open. I thought it was locked at first cause it wouldn't budge.
    I wish that was the case with ours. When I looked, the handle lock-cylinder was clearly locked. I'm not blaming my sister, but I don't know how it would have happened any other way. I'm just super thankful my wife was there. She kept calm and while I ran around trying to find a solution, quietly worked at one of the windows on the other side until she got one open. I'm not thrilled that was so easy, but I'm not mad she was able too, that's for sure!
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a recall some time back on that happening. I got locked in, couldn't climb out a window and had to dismantle the door lock (not the dead bolt) one handed because the other hand was recovering from surgery after being broken. It went back to the dealer, they replaced the lock and I insisted on a different key # not the same one. Oddly it was the same key # that was recalled in another brand .

Call your dealer and insist on the lock being changed, even if they say nothing is wrong... it isn't fun getting locked in when you have 3 dogs who hadn't been out in 10 hours
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a good one. Checked into campground. Parked and done a walk around. The dog had jumped up on the door and locked it. Fortunately the generator was running and she was nice and cool inside. Me, I waited 1 hour for locksmith to show up and unlock the camper. Last time that will happen. I now have several keys hidden on the outside. Live and learn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast