User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    You could verify this yourself. As you installed a disconnect switch, assume you might have a clamp meter or at least a multimeter. If you have a DC current clamp meter put it around one of your battery cables when the factory disconnect is OFF. Draw should be <500mA for the sniffers, radio etc... Pull your breakaway disconnect switch to activate the brakes and the current drain should be in the 10 to 20A range, assuming 5 to 8 amps per axle.

If you don’t have a clamp meter, you can connect a DC multimeter between a battery post and battery cable. Again, you should observe low draw in the <500mA range, and it will jump to 10 to 20A when the breakaway switch is activated.

EDIT - if you want to run your fridge, either propane or 12V, you will need the factory disconnect switch to be in the ON position.
    So should I ignore the warning sticker which says “NEVER pull safety brake pin to activate”
    ( I would attach a picture of the sticker if I could figure out how to do it)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would trace the wires as god knows how these rv clowns wire anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregpallen View Post
    You bring up another point about the fridge. My belief is that it is powered via 120vac or propane. I was not aware that it could or would operate on 12vdc. I will have to check that out.
    The fridge will operate on 120vac or propane with 12vdc control. Don't misunderstand, it will not run on 12vdc alone. Just wanted to clarify.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So should I ignore the warning sticker which says “NEVER pull safety brake pin to activate”
    ( I would attach a picture of the sticker if I could figure out how to do it)
    Know the sticker you are speaking of. I assume the instruction is not to manually activate to set the trailer on a hill perhaps, but I do not know. Due to the current draw I suppose a fire could occur if the pin was left out, brakes in full activation, and the battery was fresh or being recharged. Others here might know better. To my knowledge, the tongue jack and the brakes are powered when the battery disconnect switch is in either the ON or OFF position. On my 2150RB the switch is on a black panel with OFF and ON in raised letters that are hard to see unless you are looking for them. BTW, my switch is always in the ON position.

I was always taught that to ensure the switch is working (it is two metal plates, connectors if you will, separated by an insulator plug) it should be tested. I do this at least once a year usually right after the trailer has been "un-winterized".
    Firstly, on a level road at about 15KPH, put TV in neutral and apply your brake controller manually. Trailer brakes should activate, not lock, and stop the rig without touching the TV brake pedal. This is an indication the brakes are working.
    Secondly, unplug the 7 pin TV wiring harness from the TV, ensures trailer is on its own battery, pull the disconnect switch and slowly drive forward. The trailer brakes should activate and stop the rig. Plug the breakaway disconnect pin and 7 pin TV wiring harness back in.
    Last edited by Skiddy; 07-23-2019 at 01:18 PM.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK so there seems to be differing thoughts on the recommended battery cutoff switch position depending on the state of the RV.

1. During the walkthrough of my Reflection 5ver my dealer told me that the battery charger in my new rig does not provide a trickle charge and therefore the the battery switch should be in the “off position” when connected to A/C shore power. If left in “on position” it will fry the battery. This seems to be in conflict with equipment literature in my owner’s packet which clearly indicates that the battery charging system adjusts its output based on battery condition and when the battery voltage approaches fully charged the system goes into trickle charge or maintenance mode. I was able to confirm this with Grand Design customer service so I think this situation is clear. Not sure how you would be able to charge the battery while plugged in then? On our 303 with the battery disconnect in the off position, my battery will not charge

2. When towing, the TV charging system will take over and the RV battery switch should be in the “off position” according to Grand Design. The TV will safely maintain the battery. This situation is not addressed in the owners packet but intuitively it made sense to me.......that is until I recalled again conflicting information from my dealer (see #3 . below) Okay, but in the off position you will have no battery power to your refrigerator to power the fans or control panel which equals a warm fride during travel

3. My dealer stated that the battery switch should always be in the “on position” when towing otherwise the RV’s emergency brake will not activate if the rig is separated from the tow vehicle. At first blush this sort of makes sense if you assume that with the battery switch in the “off position” there is no power to the emergency brake when/if the umbilical cord between the TV and the RV is separated. But then as an engineer, logic would tell me that surely GD has the emergency brake wired directly to the battery so that it is always powered regardless of cutoff switch position? Does anyone know for sure?

Anyway, I thought that others may have some confusion as to what to do when based on the three states described above, so hopefully you experts out there can shed some light on this topic and provide definitive direction to those of us that may be a might confused.
    We leave our battery in the on position when hooked to shore power and towing. Things may vary between a 303RLS and your unit.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK so there seems to be differing thoughts on the recommended battery cutoff switch position depending on the state of the RV.
    Greg / Mary, your dealer is just makin' stuff up, has no idea what he's talking about. Some of my dealer's staff went to the same training school.

You've got good answers to your questions already, just wanted to add another voice of caution about ANYTHING your dealer tells you.

Come here with your questions, we'll misinform you for free!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overkill19 View Post
    I would trace the wires as god knows how these rv clowns wire anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will do that......good thought
    Greg & Mary
    2020 Reflection 320MKS
    Brighton MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    The fridge will operate on 120vac or propane with 12vdc control. Don't misunderstand, it will not run on 12vdc alone. Just wanted to clarify.

John
    Ok thanks...got it
    Greg & Mary
    2020 Reflection 320MKS
    Brighton MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not know anything about the RV electrical system and will never claim to. But what I can tell you is over the last 30 years of camping the only time I disconnected the battery was during storage and never had any problems with the batteries.
    Fred and Paula
    2019 Solitude S Class 2930RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    Nebraska (Currently)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THAT'S why I added a battery cut-off directly to the battery itself. I can leave my trailer stored for 3 months and come back and will still have 3-lights on the panel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast