User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My observations of my Imagine is this, with the battery shut off key in the off position, no lights or any other 12 volt appliance works...period. The only thing that apparently works is the tongue jack and most likely my break away brake switch. With the key inserted into the receptacle and turned 1/4 turn clockwise, the battery is connected and "all" of my 12 volt items work including my refer. Off position.."no" refer. I have a rear observation camera that stays activated when the battery is in the on position so I shut the battery switch to the off position or the battery will completely discharge within the week. A week before I leave for a trip, I plug the shore power wire into an outdoor receptacle, turn the battery to the on position and top off the charge on the battery. It has never boiled out any water/acid ever. According to my charge indicator in the TT, I have a full charge. I always travel with the key in the on position so my fridge and observation camera will work. In the off position, they don't work. I don't depend on my TV to do any charging or appliance operation as it's meant to maintain, not charge or run appliances. I'm on my 4th RV and they've all been the same. I'm not Mr. Technical and I don't do electrical, I leave that up to someone I could theoretically sue. I do know from experience what works and what does not. I wasted 4 batteries in my class C learning these lessons. On when I travel and Off when I store.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never turn the battery switch off ... If i am going to be storing without shore power for a while I just take off the negative battery cable.
    Hobo Bill
    From Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Traveling Full Time Across the US
    2019 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Goodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain Tires
    Reese RP30081 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    There is a dependency on how the 12 volt system is wired.
    With the battery switch in either position you should have the following conditions,
    1- Battery power to the emergency breakaway.
    2- Charging from the converter.
    3- Charging from the tow vehicle.

There are lots of stuff still with power when the switch is "off",
    Motion lights in the basement storage , pass thru as well as the front.
    Propane detector inside.
    Radio, and some of the interior lights.

Even with the battery switch in the "off" position my battery was drained in a couple of weeks , with no shore power attached. This is why I installed a "true" battery disconnect.
    As @Keebler said above , if you add a switch you can not do anything until you turn it on.

Brian
    #2 incorrect, switch must be on to charge the battery with the converter. I am glad that your landing gear legs do not operate when your added switch was installed, however that is not the case in most. 5 years hauling trailers from manufacturers we very rarely used a battery to pick them up. We would just hook our pigtail up and the landing gear worked off truck power

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    Firstly, on a level road at about 15KPH, put TV in neutral and apply your brake controller manually. Trailer brakes should activate, not lock, and stop the rig without touching the TV brake pedal. This is an indication the brakes are working.
    Secondly, unplug the 7 pin TV wiring harness from the TV, ensures trailer is on its own battery, pull the disconnect switch and slowly drive forward. The trailer brakes should activate and stop the rig. Plug the breakaway disconnect pin and 7 pin TV wiring harness back in.
    Ooo. I made a note. This is an excellent test protocol. Thank you.
    Scott
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem I see with adding a "true" battery disconnect would be forgetting to turn it on before towing. You would loose your trailer brakes and the emergency breakaway brakes, either of which could be tragic! I would not trust my memory to always turn on the switch before towing. I can't imagine the panic of needing to brake hard to avoid an accident only to realize that your 20,000 pound camper has no brakes. This is why the manufacturer does not bypass the brake system with their battery switch. If you have the ability to NEVER forget, then I applaud you, but I don't trust myself in that regard.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnussailor View Post
    The only problem I see with adding a "true" battery disconnect would be forgetting to turn it on before towing. You would loose your trailer brakes and the emergency breakaway brakes, either of which could be tragic! I would not trust my memory to always turn on the switch before towing. I can't imagine the panic of needing to brake hard to avoid an accident only to realize that your 20,000 pound camper has no brakes. This is why the manufacturer does not bypass the brake system with their battery switch. If you have the ability to NEVER forget, then I applaud you, but I don't trust myself in that regard.
    Agree in not trusting memory. There are many things that could be detrimental if not done, like putting in the safety pin for my hitch, or plugging the trailer power connector from the trailer to the truck to name a couple. This emphasizes the need for process. A good checklist, having a partner that checks behind you, etc. Fortunately, for this one (in my case anyway), there is absolutely zero chance of forgetting to turn the switch on; I can't raise my landing gear with my switch off. Well, I guess I could forget to raise the gear; would be reminded quickly!

Now what were we talking about? I forgot. Darn memory.
    Last edited by Keebler; 08-02-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with having a checklist. In fact I have one on my iphone that I go through every time before pulling the 5er. You make a good point about not being able to forget because you couldn't hook-up if the switch were off. I was not thinking in those terms, just the possible consequences of not having brakes. I blame old brain cells for not thinking about the hook-up process!!! Score one for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Imagine XLS 22RBE. My dealer told me at the walk through that the battery switch had to be on for the trailer brakes to operate during towing. I will have to test this. But the only time I every have the battery switch OFF is when in storage. Switch is on when on shore power, towing, dry camping and when solar panel plugged in. So far never a problem.
    Glenn & Cathy
    2019 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2007 Toyota Tundra
    2018 Harley-Davidson Road Glide Special

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123